Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

Yeah I think that makes sense. Happy 2000th training log post!

1 Like

Thanks dude!

PM WORKOUT

Inverval workout: 20 seconds on/10 seconds off
10 rounds of 250+lb sandbag pick up and carry

Notes: Only missed 1 pick. Biggest victory was that knee and elbow both felt fine through out this. Really hoping this transfers to natural stone picks as much as I’m planning.

Woke up at 195.6.

GRIPPERS

30 second hold with the 2.5
17 reps with the 2
40 reps with the 1

Notes: Grip is definitely in a good way right now. As long as my bicep tendon plays nice, I’m not too worried about the axle deadlifts.

Woke up at 196.4.

2 Likes

AM WORKOUT

Texas deadlift bar touch and go deadlifts
5x135+chains
5x225+chains
3x315+chains
1x405+chains
10x520+chains
16x425+chains

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x136
5x186
5x256
3x291
6x326
16x256

Band pull aparts
Many x 20

Axle curls
1x70

Notes: Hit my goals for the day. Wasn’t willing to go stupid hard on the deads this close to competition, so hit a modest 10 and decent 16 for the back off. Axle bench I’m pretty happy with, because despite 6x326 not being a PR, 16x256 holds significance. When I started 5/3/1 post ACL rupture, I managed 255 for 8 as my topset. Hitting 256 for twice as many reps as a backoff is pretty cool.

Had my normal Panda Express cheatmeal yesterday. Woke up at 197.6.

9 Likes

PM WORKOUT

Keg runs w/45lb vest on
Run 182lb keg 50’
Run back to start
Run back to keg
Run keg 50’
Back 50’
Back to keg
Run keg 50’

Afterwards
1x10 fat gripz chins (still w/45lb vest)

4 rounds of the above

Notes: Just getting stupid with the weight vest now. Cut out the max distance carry just because I was in a pinch for time. Chins really showing how silly my grip is getting.

Woke up at 197.4.

2 Likes

Just because I want to document that there is probably something wrong with me, this was there for me at dinner tonight

And this is what it became in about 10 minutes

20180325_170515

Was a 1.65lb t-bone that I found in the frozen meat section. I’m still hungry, haha.

7 Likes

Totally something wrong with you​:joy::joy::joy:

Took a page out of your book and tried mat pulls for the first time tonight. Didn’t have access to mats so I just used a few bumper plates, probably put the bar at about 3-4 inches below my knee.

I was surprised, they were harder than I expected them to be. I didn’t see much of a noticeable increase in the weights I could use compared to my standard dead lift. Focusing on the top part of the lift gave me a crazy lower back pump, and it felt cleaner than my normal deadlift was, but I was only pulling about 10lbs heavier for sets of 5 than I normally do. Still, definitely a nice change of pace, something I think I will start throwing in more

@losthog It’s just silly at this point. I see to have an unending appetite for protein. Give me half an order of fries and I’m full, put a 25 oz steak in front me of I have to REMEMBER to stop eating.

@atlas13 Good to hear about your experience. Most people tend to be shocked that you can’t suddenly pull a 200lb PR with the shorter ROM, haha. Reduced ROM pulling is a skill in and of itself. It’s why I like to keep reps high for an initial cycle of ROM progression, as it’s less about pulling a new super high weight PR and more about taking a challenging weight and pulling it for a silly amount of reps.

4 Likes

That sounds like fun, sadly weight vests are damn expensive

It’s about as fun as hanging by your thumbs for an hour, haha. I got my vest off a yardsale site. Seems to be the best way to get decent deals. Before I had a vest, I just wore chains crisscrossed across my body

2 Likes

AM WORKOUT

Log Viper and Press Away
5xLog
5x170
3x195
8x215
3x235
15x170

(9) Chain suspended buffalo bar squats
5xBar
5x140
5x190
5x230
3x280
1x330
1x370
7x450

Axle rows 243
8x5

Dips
1x60

Buffalo bar squats
20x230

Notes: Great workout today. I’m confident enough with 225 on the log that I’m going to start upping the weight to prep for July. Chain suspended squats moved better than expected, and the finisher set was what I needed. Great way to finish the training cycle. Took some video of the log that I’ll upload later.

No weigh in today.

4 Likes

Here is the video of the log pressing from the other day

I really had some more in me on those, but just wasn’t willing to push it. I’ll have more training cycles. Speaking of, I want to map out my next training block.

-I’m going back to 4 days of lifting, 1 day of events. This 3 days a week full body/1-2 days of events plan WORKED, but it also beat the crap out of me. Took a lot to recover from this, and my workouts kept creeping longer and longer. Additionally, I’ve been spending a lot of time working the prime lifts but almost zero time on assistance work. I want to focus on getting statically strong and putting on some quality weight, and I think being able to focus on a lift a day and really hammer home some volume on assistance will go a long way.

-Back to a press, squat, bench and deadlift day. Press and Bench will stick with 5/3/1 PR sets and a FSL PR set. Press day will also have that joker-esque set between the top PR set and the FSL PR set. Squat and deadlift day will stick with the ROM progression I’ve been doing. Still sticking with the log as my primary press implement, axle for bench, buffalo bar for squat and texas deadlift bar for deadlift.

-Supplemental lift on the press day will be axle continental and strict press. Planning on keeping the axle rows on this day as well, purely because they’ll be easy to set up. Might actually strap up this time around. Plan to also get in some vertical pulling and reverse hypers on this day, mainly because it’s one of the few days I won’t have anything loaded in the rack and I’ll be able to use the reverse hyper without running into stuff.

-Supplemental lift on squat day will be the car deadlift simulator. I like this lift, and with car deadlift coming up, I’m excited to train it again. Will also hit abs and probably some dips. Going to try to get upper body pressing volume somewhere stupid.

-Supplemental lift on bench day will be log push press. I need to improve my leg drive, and this will be a chance to do it. Will most likely keep reps low, as high rep push press becomes something stupid for me. Thinking of bringing back kroc rows, pulldowns, and other upper body assistance.

-Supplemental lift on deadlift day will be some manner of squats. I don’t think I’ll do the complete “death by squat” workout I used to do, but we’ll see. Going to keep standing ab wheel in here, and maybe some more dips.

-For the first month, I’m going to be doing a fair bit of running. I have a fitness test coming up and plan to run the Murph WOD again on memorial day. I’ll also be losing some weight during this time. After that is done, focus will be purely on events and putting on a little quality weight.

-Events will be cycling between Stone of Steel, carry medleys and throws. Throws are going to be a definite weakpoint, so I’ll see how much I can get that done, but I also want to spend some time refining my stone technique. This will be the first time I really get a chance to train stones before a competition. The carry medley will be what it will be.

I’m excited to see how this plays out. I like this style of training more than what I’ve been doing, but I’m willing to call my current training block a success. My log press got crazy strong and I’ve felt confident with how often I’ve been able to handle implements and practice.

9 Likes

I like this. I may steal it. I’ll become your awkward, weaker shadow.

3 Likes

Your posts never disappoint. Stay safe.

Got damn your strict log is strong. I like how you slowly just hammered away at your pressing strength and it’s now just casually so strong. I feel like I keep saying this too LOL.

I definitely gotta train the log more, it’s just THE implement to train if you want to go anywhere in strongman.

1 Like

There is only room for one of us.

3 Likes

@biker Appreciate it dude, but if you want me to stay safe, my posts are going to eventually disappoint you, haha.

@strongmanvinny2 It always means a lot when you speak positively of my pressing. You’re absolutely correct too; there’s sadly no sexy secret to building a strong press, you just gotta plug away at it forever. Log has come along well, but goddamn I hope I never see another circus dumbbell again, haha.

@littlesleeper and @brady888 Feel free to steal/shadow away, but you both have your own groove to fall into as well. Took me a long time to find mine.

Just a quick additional idea I came up with for that training plan last night; I might alternate supplemental lifts on squat day between car deadlift and sandbag pick and carry. I’d go with the sandbag since it won’t make much noise in the early AM.

2 Likes

Benching prior seems like it would tighten up your chest & not allow you to bring your head through as well on the log; does this not happen to you?

I pretty much never focus on bringing my head through anyway, but with the neutral grip I don’t notice too big of an issue.