Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

That’s a clever way of putting together weight plates to stimulate a stone. What do you use to hold them together?

1 Like

Thanks dude. I can’t take credit for it; learned it from Kalle Beck of startingstrongman.

I use an Ironmind loading pin to load them all on, and then a screw down collar from newyorkbarbells to hold them onto the pin. Ironmind makes collars like that too, and I have few from some other companies as well. You have to winch is REAL tight, because they’re going to try to fly off through out the set.

2 Likes

EMOM workout
Odd minute: stone trainer extension w/235lbs
Even minute: CDB clean and press w/105 (1 per arm)

6 rounds of each

Notes: This was an awesome workout. Singles were the right spot. Lapping the trainer was a challenge using a combination of metal and bumper plates. CDB technique is really coming along. I’m finally feeling confident coming into this show. For a while, I thought I mighta made a mistake signing up.

Woke up at 195.0.

1 Like

AM WORKOUT

Axle strict press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x176
3x196
4x221
3x221 (continental and push press)
8x176 (continental and strict press)

Notes: Got some video that I’ll upload later. This was a solid pressing session; much better than last cycle. Continentals were as smooth as they’ve been in a while, and everything just seemed to click.

GB pulldowns 90
3x20
2x15

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Performed between sets of pressing.

Axle rows 206
11+21

Notes: First 11 unstrapped, next 21 with straps.

Dips

Notes: All performed in 1 big rest pause set

Axle curls
1x100

General notes: Woke up at 195.0. Zero pain in the left glute; the rest was what I needed to heal. I’m going to try to play it smart until the contest, and then really drill myself back up.

Axle Grace
2:57

Notes: After the last time, I wanted to see what I could do if I just went for speed. Shaved 20 second off.

Slept at the job site last night, so no idea what my weight was this morning. Got video from my last press workout though.

Hey man I had a question for you. When you reduce volume, but increase intensity how does your eating habits change? Do you eat less because volume has dropped, or do you eat more because now your upping the intensity?

The sentence before the one you highlighted explained the nutritional protocol. When volume rises, so must nutrition. In this situation, intensity necessarily decreases. When volume lowers, so does nutrition. In this situation, intensity naturally increases.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification, appreciate it!

1 Like

@isdatnutty No problem dude!

Buffalo bar squat
5xBar
5x100
5x140
3x190
1x230
1x280
1x320
11x370
9x370
20x230

Notes: Sticking with sub-max weights. Need to rebuild my ability here. A tough, but not ball busting workout.

KB swings 125
5x10

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Neck harness 45
3 sets

Notes: All performed between sets of squats.

General notes: Woke up at 193.0. Tends to happen the day after my nights at the office. It’s my last week of heavy work before the contest.

Do you find you get much out of these? Do you only do the ‘head nod’ strengthening the back of your neck? Or do you hang the weight behind your head and nod forward as well?

Also, has Jim’s new book shown any movement yet for you?

Jim has said the new books will ship out on 15 Apr, so only a couple of days left.

I will raise my head up with the harness and swing the weight side to side. I don’t crunch with with harness, just because I am lazy. My neck definitely gets bigger from it, but it also seems to cut down on the frequency of neck injuries I pick up from pressing. Some sort of prehab.

There are worse things you could do, haha.

1 Like

I have noticed the same things as Pwn has said, as well as a reduction in tension headaches. When I can’t squat, I like to do HELLA drop sets on leg presses. Before I started neck training I would get a tension headache almost every time so I.stopped doing them, then I decided to start back after neck training for a bit and boom, no more headaches fuh me.

(Side note: I’m not a doctor, but it worked for me inserts grain of salt for your taking)

1 Like

That is a righteous strict press. Applause.

And that is a bad ass Grace time, with the axle. Donny Shankle did it in 1:47 with a regular bar, his pressing was a little sloppier than your’s, and he was the national champion 105 kg WL at the time. More applause.

Now you just need to do a human flag, and you can drop the mike…

@oldbeancam Glad to see you’ve had a similar experience. If nothing else, a big strong neck is always in style, haha

@punnyguy Much appreciated dude. Conditioning seems to be the missing piece for me. I’ve let it slip prepping for this show, but I’m excited about bringing it back up.

And a human flag probably would have been easier at the start of the log, when my legs were smaller, haha. Still, I’ll put it on the list, after a nationals win and 800lb deadlift.

Thanks for following!

AM WORKOUT

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x186
5x226
5x256
3x286
7x321
12x256

Notes: Another lifetime PR. Bench is in a good place these days. Belly benched the last rep; forearms are a little tender and didn’t like the slow eccentric.

Chins
50 reps

Band pull aparts
9x20

Notes: Performed between sets of benching. Eased off the back work getting close to the show and took things light.

Keg clean and press 182lbs
4x1

Notes: Practiced running up the the keg and 1 motioning it. Trying to drill under the conditions of a press medley. Really feeling confident on this.

DB hammer curls 40
4x10

Crucifix hold 25
30 seconds

General notes: Woke up at 195.4. Work has been stressful and nutrition a little off point. Thankfully I have room for this. Got 1 or 2 more heavy workouts and then I just relax.

4 Likes

This is the most accurate thing I have ever read on this site

1 Like

AM WORKOUT

T-bar rows
10x1 plate
10x2 plates
10x3 plates
10x4 plates
10x5 plates
6x6 plates
21x4 plates

Notes: Continuing with my “back day, not deadlift day” paradigm. This worked out well for today. Left hip was a little stiff, but in all I got in some heavy-ish training.

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Reverse hyper 360
4x12

Notes: Performed between sets of rows

Buffalo bar squats
5xBar
5x100
5x140
3x190
1x230
1x280
1x320
1x370
1x410
1x460

STRIPSET (no rest between sets)
10x320
20x230
30x140

Notes: This sucked, but in a different way than the pyramid training. Upperback was really pissed by the end.

General notes: Woke up at 195.4. Gonna try 1 more heavish workout with the circus dumbbell tomorrow and then start an aggressive campaign of resting. Show is 1 week out, and I’m feeling good. My glute my blow out during the show, but that’s about it.

3 Likes

Sometimes the hardest part!

You’ll crush it brother! I have full confidence in that.

Thanks dude! Appreciate having your support!

Circus dumbbell clean and press
1x85
1x105
1x115
1x125
2x125 (clean each rep)

Notes: Real easy workout, but wanted to hit competition weight before the show. It feels heavy, yeah, but not impossible. Hitting it with this cartoonish dumbbell should carry over well to whatever we’re using at the show. Confidence is high. Glute has been acting up, but whatever.

Woke up at 195.8. Had the most amazing cheat meal for brunch. Buffet. 1 full plate of salad, about a pound of bacon, 2 slabs of steak, ham, various types of sausage, and some eggs. About 3 full plates of food in total. Ended up skipping lunch and still wasn’t hungry for dinner. I might make this a regular practice, but I’ll see what my appetite is like when I’m training harder.

2 Likes

Hey man, if I remember correctly you ordered a shirt or two from NEVERsate? Just wondering what size you ordered and how it fits? (I’m going to go ahead and assume we would be similar sizes) I measured myself based on the chart on the LoyalBrand website, but I never trust those charts after being stuck with a few items that don’t fit (from other suppliers).

Also, any update on Jim’s book being shipped to you yet? My shipping status hasn’t changed.

Thanks!

Hey man.

I actually ordered one of the older model shirtd before they were supplied by Loyal. It was a large. I bought an xl sweatshirt though.

Haven’t checked the shipping status in a while. I know some folks are showing it shipped though.