Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

Scan read a few weeks of post to catch up. Just commenting to say I’m still alive. Work rate is exemplary as always and looking amazing mate (no or maybe some homo :joy:). When ever I need to give myself a wake up call this log always delivered. Quality

2 Likes

Excellent! That’s good to hear. I just snagged some for myself and while I have no reservations about using things the way they’re intended I was a little worried how dropping iron plates on them would go. Sounds like I’ll get some time out of them before I need to be concerned about my basement floor haha.

1 Like

Iron WILL beat the hell out of them. Mine have started to tear from the stone of steel. But they will still do their job

@simo74 Always appreciate you checking in dude!

1 Like

I figure the iron will accelerate their decline at an unnatural pace, so I’ll try to be as gentle on them as I can when I do that. Luckily that means fairly light weight (~115lbs) and a “controlled drop” as the consequences of a miss is messing up my floor which is very low on my to-do list haha.

Maybe even throw a patio paver or horse stall mat on top for double up

1 Like

Good call on the paver. I have plenty and as far as sacrificial material goes that’s a lot easier to swallow replacing.

1 Like

Will update fully in a bit, but I look jacked here

And this is going to be amazing

7 Likes

Jacked and stacked, man. Beastly.

Those KB snatches hurt my soul though, haha.

1 Like

Pretty sure you look jacked everywhere, dude.

2 Likes

Finally finished watching season 1 on netflix, and already into season 2.

2 Likes

@kdjohn Thanks man! And bad technique gets you jacked! Haha. In truth, I DO use garbage form on these because, when I make them “clean”, they take too long and don’t get my heart rate up the way I need. I’m trying to sling the iron here.

@SvenG Much appreciated dude!

@raven78 the Netflix series wasn’t bad. Season 2 was the superior season, although he played the part best in Daredevil. But really, the comics are where the gold is.

Ok, first, I bet you guys are wondering about that tri trip. It turned out awesome

More well done that I like, BUT my kid ate it, and that’s a HUGE victory. They said they loved it and asked for seconds. That NEVER happens. SO it looks like I’m gonna buy a lot of piedmontese grassfed tri tip now.

NO AM workout, but that’s because I slept until 0700. That’s a recent PR for sleep.

Afternoon hit a 42 round workout of 20 seconds on/10 seconds off in the following format

Round 1: Daily work
Round 2: 40kg KB swings
Round 3: Daily work
Round 4: 45lb alternating arm KB snatches
Round 5: Daily Work
Round 6: Double KB clusters 45lbs
Repeat

Got video of the first 4 rounds until my app and video recorder stopped playing nicely together

I do want to comment though that this video of Kroc doing 30 chins was one of the original videos that motivated me in my quest to be strong and muscular, and I feel like I’m doing a decent job imitating it

Ended the day with a 2 mile walk with the dog.

Gameplan for this next cycle: I realize it’s never explicitly stated to do 5s pro for BBB Beefcake, just that the mainwork needs to match the supplemental. I effectively do “4s pro” this last week, so I’m going to use 3s pro for this next training cycle so I can really milk out the supplemental work. I also came up with a strategy of doing the main work with a different implement than the supplemental work so I could have 2 separate training maxes, and that MAY come into play as well, but so far I’ll use the tools available to me in the 5/3/1 toolbox and go from there as needed.

Underate today. Avocados weren’t ripe yet. Will have to make up for it as I go.

7 Likes

I feel I need one of those. But what I really need is to just work harder :joy:

1 Like

@simo74 It’s definitely been a work to get there. Still figuring stuff out as I go, which I’m about to do a “case in point” about…

AM WORKOUT (0315 natural wake up)

SUPERSETS (press-chins)

Axle clean and strict press away
5xAxle
3x151
3x176 (blacked out on the 3rd rep, dropped weight behind me, convulsed for what felt like 30 seconds)
3x196 (rest pause needed, continental’d weight and wasted a lot of energy)

Weighted chins (various grips) 37.5lbs
1x10
5x8

SUPERSETS press-rows (20 minutes total, rest times ranging from 90 seconds to 2:25)

Axle clean and strict press (clean first 2 reps)
5x10x151 (had to re-clean final rep of final 2 sets)

Axle rows 151
5x10

50 band pull aparts

MEGA DROPSET (rest pause between sets) DB Incline Bench w/95lbs
(4) 1x6
(3) 1x4
(2) 1x4
(1) 1x4
(Flat) 1x5
(Flat w/Catapult) 1x6

Transition immediately to 50 dips
Transition immediately to 25 pushdowns
Then 20 standing ab wheels
40 reverse hypers
Neck curls
Neck harness

Poundstone Curls
183xAxle

CONDITIONING

Tabata KB clusters w/45lb bells

Notes: The blacking out sucked, but it helped confirm something I should have been acknowledging all this time: my blood pressure has gotten out of hand again. I’ve been seeing and ignoring the warning signs. I was lazy managing it: salting all my food still, but not keeping up with the sports drink, and actually my new job has me salting my food less too. The positive is that this may very well explain my issues with top end strength, as I saw that happening last time too. Good time to be doing 3s pro. Going to tackle this head on.

I missed the deadline to sign up for the strengthlifting meet, and I’m honestly not heart broken about that at all. I was reading the “morning of” info, and it just sounded like such a hassle. I’m wondering if I’m done competing at this point. Juice just doesn’t seem worth the squeeze. I got no issue competing at the competition, but f**k me the weigh ins, rules meetings, 4 hours of warming up, time between events, etc etc, are just such a damn grind. I’m not officially out of it, but at this point I jsut wanna train the way I wanna train.

On THAT note, had another idea for my “diet break” training of using more of a conjugate approach for my press work, maybe something ala Brian Alsruhe. It may fly. 2 movements in general I’d like to have back in my training are behind the neck press and weighted dips. When I do them, nothing really gets better…but maybe I don’t care about that any more.

5 Likes

Broke my grippers out of hibernation today and did 4x3 with the Captains of Crush #2s. Just easing back in. Going to hit up Keg Grace later today and ideally get in a walk with the dog.

1 Like

Not good reading this, reads like you’re across it though…

1 Like

@raven78 I appreciate it dude. It’s amazingly more common in strongman than you’d think. This is a classic from back in the day

PM WORKOUT (1600)

Keg Grace

Time: 3:29 (51 second PR holy cow)

Evening walk with dog

Notes: I was in a hurry for the keg Grace, which seemed to pay off as I blitzed right through it. I may not be seeing the top end strength where I’d like it, but reps and conditioning are on point.

9 Likes

Damn, son!

1 Like

Just wanted to drop in and say I discovered your ebook on your blog (I’m sure I’m late to the party; I’ve been paying less attention here as work has ramped back up a little), and it’s outstanding. I tried the ladder with thrusters and KB swings yesterday (maybe Tower of Babel, I don’t remember the name), and it was appropriately awful. Just a great list of options to throw in, and the titles are awesome. Thanks man.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT-C-w7oni1/

“Don’t show Shannon that one. She won’t let me do strongman anymore” (his fiance).

More recent but that one looked a little scary, haha.

1 Like

@kdjohn It’s amazing what a little pressure can do: I, no joke, hit that workout in the middle of microwaving some mashed cauliflower I was whipping up while cooking up some burgers for the family for dinner (beef for the kid, turkey for the mrs, a shrimp burger and a salmon burger for myself, it’s like Noah’s Arc on my grill). I had 4:30 until the microwave was done, so I just booked it into the garage and crushed it, haha.

@TrainForPain Appreciate the feedback dude, and glad you’re enjoying it. Thrusters just always suck, haha. They are the start of many bad ideas.

@Koestrizer my last time handling stones in comp almost went the same way. Although I like my video because Marc asks “how much time I got left?” and then gets the rep. About as strongman as it gets, haha.

BBB BEEFCAKE Week 4, Day 2

AM WORKOUT (0300 natural wake up)

GIANT SETS (jump-squat-row)

Box jumps (all pavers, 2 35lb bumpers, set of half pavers…it’s the highest I’ve jumped so far, lets say that)
3x3

Buffalo Bar Squats
5xBar
5x140
5x230
3x340
3x390
3x440

Meadows row 150
5x5

Buffalo Bar Squat
5x10x340 (total time: 15:15)
Started with 90 seconds between sets, then 1:45, then 2 1:55 rest periods)

50 dips while putting away plates

CIRCUIT (no rest between exercises) hyper-abs-squat

Reverse hyper 360
4x13

Standing ab wheel
4x6

Belt Squat 200lbs
1x15
2x14
STRIPSET (no rest between sets)
15x200
Reps of 175,150,125,100,75,50,25,Axle

50 pull aparts
25 pressdowns
Neck curl
Neck Harness

CONDITIONING

12 rounds of
3 Bear complexes w/95lbs
5 chins (every single grip possible)

Time: 12:11

SECOND BREAKFAST

2 Mile 80lb weighted vest walk with dog

Notes: It’s crazy how simply identifying a cause of my issues in and of itself seems to help in the healing process, as I felt MUCH stronger in today’s set of squats than I had in a long time. My hips are really buggy these days, and I tweaked it a touch on the meadows row, which made walkouts with squats tricky, but I noted I tweaked my hip ON the walkout last time, so in general I need to slow that part down and be strong on it.

3s pro continues to be the right call. In driving to work today, I realized that I had really set myself up well for my last training cycle by running SVR II for 2 cycles beforehand to get re-adjusted to the style of training. I think skipping that was a mistake this time. I had to shift my nutrition too rapidly to adapt to the new workload and didn’t really have a chance to get settled in. I’m thinking, after this run, the approach may be: diet break for 2 cycles, deload, SVR II for 2 cycles on a maintenance style diet, deload, THEN tackle the weight gain.

Absolutely crushed the BBB work. Decided to just get it done vs throwing in supersets and, in turn, keep rests as short as I could manage. It was tough, but I had almost 5 minutes left, so that’s pretty awesome.

Weighted vest walk is getting easy. Got running with the Mrs later, then working an early shift (only doing 1-2 of these a month now: it’s awesome).

7 Likes