Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

I’m curious. What broke on your ghr?

@flappinit Appreciate it dude. Still got the 1, and now she’s getting a LOT of walks, haha.

@SkyzykS footplate snapped off. It was a cheap model.

AM WORKOUT (0545 wake up via alarm, 0645 workout)

Texas deadlift bar touch and go deadlifts
5x135
5x225
5x315
5x405
5x460
4x515
11+5+5+4x405 (tied previous PR in 3 sets, added 4 rep set)

50 chins while putting away plates

Axle shrugs against short average bands
1x50

50 chins

Kroc rows 115
1x17

25 band pull aparts

Reverse hyper
40x180

Notes: Life and diet caught me today: didn’t get my topset of 5. Warm ups felt solid, which tends to mean the main lift is going to suck. Damndest thing. I DID attempt to get in the 5th rep with some rest, and it just seemed like a bad idea. I shoulda pushed harder on the backoff set: didn’t realize I matched my previous work until I looked back at the log. But I got it in. Increased the resistance on the shrugs to make it a little faster. Was rushing this workout to get to work on time. Hit the marks, but this is a good sign that I’m due for a for real deload.

Got an idea for conditioning later today.

7 Likes

Wanted to brag about lunch

Turkey meatloaf tacos. Wanted to capture the two ideas. 1 carb tortillas (1 is pico de gallo, 2 are spinach), with a Walden’s mayo base, turkey meatloaf, mashed cauliflower instead of sour cream, shredded fat free cheese, tomato and zero sugar ketchup. They were GOOD

In a similar note, I have a new vein on my abs. The weight cut goes well…which is why the deadlift goes poor. Be good to reverse that.

5 Likes

Catching up and don’t want to keep rehashing, but my condolences and really just to agree with the above statement 100% - I lurked in the forums for years (probably around 07-13), wouldn’t have joined it back then, it’s such a better place now (although it was a fun read back then!).

2 Likes

Can you get it welded back on?

Pets are great, echoing the superb caring sentiments here on your doggo.

@alex_uk Much appreciated dude. It was definitely the forum I needed at the time, and it’s continued to grow in that regard.

@raven78 You’re the second person to ask, haha. I’ll re-share the photo so we can understand what I mean by “cheap”

It made it a decade: it’s not worth trying to weld back on.

Very much appreciate the condolences. Family is moving along well. Redefining relationship with the other dog now.

PM WORKOUT (1800)

10 rounds EMOM
Buy in with one 1 motion keg press w/150lbs
Finish round w/high handle trap bar pulls of 135

Got to 167 reps total

Notes: This wasn’t very challenging, but I like the skeleton behind it. I got in a bunch of trap bar reps, which is cool. Either need to up the weight on the trap bar or the reps on the keg.

5 Likes

Us engineers like to weld things…

3 Likes

Sometimes I wish the forums were a little bit more adversarial. Not in a degrading way or anything… but having people doubt me makes me feel like I end up working harder to prove them wrong.

Having a supportive community is great, but sometimes having some one say “you can’t” is enough to somehow shift into a higher gear.

1 Like

There’s always PWI…

1 Like

Haha I don’t think I’ve ever entered that part of the forum, but have read stories from people who have.

I was leaning more towards “you cant lift that” rather than “you’re wrong and an idiot and I hope terrible things happen to you”

2 Likes

It’s definitely better here than on other forms of social media. Some posters have pretty good thoughts, and articulate them well. Like most serious discussions though, no one’s going in there ready to have their minds changed, haha.

2 Likes

@raven78 You are everyone’s friend in strongman, haha.

@boilerman It was definitely like PWI but for lifting, haha. Not so much friendly rivalry. It’s funny though: I don’t respond well to adversity from people. I’m such a misanthrope I just tell them to get bent. It’s my own mind that does it. I come up with something and think “That’s impossible”…and then I gotta do it, haha.

@jshaving Totally concur! I don’t think anyone argues on the internet in the hope of having their own mind changed.

AM WORKOUT (0545 wake up via alarm, 0700 workout)

20 seconds on/10 seconds off

Round 1: Stone of Steel to shoulder
Round 2: Grab bag exercise (rotated between chins, dips and ab wheel until daily work totals done, then 40kb KB swing and reverse hypers)
Round 3: Burpees

60 rounds total (30 min)

Clean up gym rest

20 seconds alternating DB snatches/10 seconds goblet squats for 8 rounds

Notes: My lower back is fried alright, but the stone helped bring it back from the dead a bit. Typical round was 2 stones to shoulder and 1 lap before time ran out. Was good to really push this workout far. It’s got a lot of potential.

Lawn mowing on the schedule for later today.

6 Likes

Same could probably be said for most in person arguments. Myself included, but that’s just because I’m usually right, or at least not wrong enough, haha.

1 Like

Everyone on this forum seems so wise and grounded. Idk how to explain it. It’s as if they walk by principles/practice some kinda philosophy they developed through life experience. Especially this man @T3hPwnisher

3 Likes

Eh…

Most (all?) people do end up being shaped by life experiences that guide how they live their lives. We just might not always agree with or respect their practices.

1 Like

I just found your blog and YouTube channel from Googling “Deep Water Jon Andersen” and I have been super inspired by your blog articles and listening to some of your really old rants on YouTube. I feel like you really spoke to me through that haha! It fired me up and makes me realize how much capacity for strength and size I still to have to gain! You has been lifting forever already in some of those videos and you’re actually way more jacked now than you were then and that’s inspiring!

2 Likes

@jshaving In person for sure as well. I find there is at least a bit more humanity to be had there, AND an ability to clarify a missed point as it’s being missed…but even then…

@tlgains Much appreciated. College was big for me there, but writing as well. I wanted to walk the talk, as it were.

@davemccright Great to have you as a reader and a viewer. I’ve been all over the place bodywise, haha. But I think that’s key: you gotta live this experience. And it’s such a short time that you can’t spend it being too afraid to get too fat, too afraid to get too lean, etc. So much to learn from doing.

4 Likes

You’ve really lived the life and done so many great programs that have worked well for you. I started training at 12 and I feel like I just learned solid training principles a year ago. I wish I could’ve found this all sooner in my training life, as it seems you did. But I sure am inspired to keep trying training and learning as you have and use the lessons you’ve learned to help teach myself.

4 Likes

Have you done any interval weight training? Like a heavyish [8-10] set and a sprint done as a super set. Pat Oshea keeps popping up and I’m thinking about doing something similar between days on BTM
3x week leaves SO much room for conditioning and weak point training

@bjiral The recommendations Jim makes for conditioning in BtM are honestly really solid and well worth looking into. I did Litvi-prowler pushes like what Dan John outlines here

I’m a fan of it. Just logistically challenging.

Lawn mowing was a bit of a bust: electric mower couldn’t handle how lush the grass cut, so I burned through 3 batteries to only get front lawn mowed. Got in a 2 mile walk with the Mrs/Dog, and squeezed in a Tabata workout where I did swings with the 40kg bell on the 20 mark and snatches with the 45lb bell for the 10s. Good enough.