Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

It’s… it’s beautiful.

I may cry.

1 Like

I could no joke eat that every day of my life and be content. I’m sure it’s mega anabolic too.

2 Likes

PM WORKOUT (1400)

20 chins

GIANT SETS (press-chin-ab)

Axle clean and strict press away
5xAxle
5x156
5x176
4+1x196 (cleaned, but head spins required a rack on the final rep)
13+5+4x156 (3 rep PR)

Chins (various grips)
4x8

Standing ab wheel
4x5

25 pull aparts

(4)Incline DB bench 95s
7+4+2(+7 flat w/metal catapult

Dips
8xBW
8x30
8x55
6+3+2x130 w/immediate stripset of
2x105
3x80
4x55
5x30
6xBW

Meadows rows
10x25
10x50
10x75
5x100
14x125

Poundstone curls w/2.5 per side
1x118

25 pushdowns
25 pull aparts
40 reverse hypers

CONDITIONING

20 seconds on of 20lb DB snatches/10 seconds on of 20lb goblet squats for 8 rounds

Notes: That conditioning workout is a total barn burner: THAT needs to become my new default “I need a quick workout” go to. Just a little weight goes a long way with those squats. Presses were stupid strong today. Dips didn’t have a PR but felt much smoother than before.

Being candid here: my dog died last night. 14 year old pug. Dude had a good life. I’m doing alright, but the family is a wreck, and training/nutrition/etc will be a bit of chaos while it gets sorted. Gonna come up with some sort of memorial workout for him.

15 Likes

Sorry to hear about your dog, my man. Not an easy thing.

1 Like

Sorry to dear about your dog man. No matter how old they are it’s always rough.

1 Like

I lost my dog last year and I was amazed at how destroyed I was. I knew I loved my dog but damn did that hurt. Still a raw sore for me… she was my greatest companion and it left a hole in my life. My condolences pwn. Dogs are more than pets. RIP

1 Like

Aw fuck, man. It always hurts. Deepest condolences.

2 Likes

Just tell people you ate dolphin and really freak them out, that’s another name for mahi mahi, but you don’t have to tell them that… They’re also called Dorado. Seriously though that’s one of my favorite fish, right up there with ocean-caught salmon or stream-caught trout, but way different from either.

1 Like

Mahi mahi is good as well as lion fish (invasive in FL so it’s nice and cheap), red snapper and pompano. Perks of living on the coast

this is magic. Had whole grilled pompano with a red miso glaze. Too good to be true

Sorry to hear about the dog and that the family are not taking it well. They are lucky they have you there to support them. Take care.

1 Like

Sorry for your lost Pwn

1 Like

Some of the food you describe as delicious sounds horrible.

But this? This sounds fantastic.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your pup. That’s a tough one, losing a dog is a lot tougher than a lot of people realize. Wishing all the best to you and your family, especially the kiddos.

1 Like

Lost my old boy yesterday too, I’m a mess but we did the best we could for him. Hope y’all can heal.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your doggo pwn. That’s never easy.

1 Like

Hey Pwn just read your blog for this week and totally agree with your comments regarding patience. This has pretty much been my approach for the past 5 years after getting back under the bar and to put it simply…it works.
I find it funny that some of the things that are the biggest draw cards for people to get in the gym, namely jacked pictures in magazine’s or online or amazing lifts on IG or you tube. Are the things that take the greatest patience and are therefor largely unachievable for most people. People see these images and want to look great or be really strong, but very few want to adopt this as a way of life and to work for years towards their goal. The industry itself wants to promote speed to results and speed to health. Just think how many 6 week programs or 5 minute abs books or articles have been written and promoted to get people into gyms. I often think that when all is said and done the people who stick it out or remain in it for the long run are the ones who weren’t sucked in by the 5 min this or 3 months to awesome that. The ones who stick are those who have a different calling to train, it is part of who they are and something they will do no matter what. These are the people working for a year to add 2.5kg to their OH press or celebrating a few extra reps this month compared to last.
I dont think it is possible to change the minds of those who are in a hurry and inevitably they will fail and fall away. But the industry needs them, it needs members and people buying protien and equipment. So the circle continues, entice them with outlandish claims and amazing pictures, sell the some stuff and then let them give up and make way for the next ones.

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss dude

1 Like

Really appreciate all the support folks. This is an awesome community. It’s kinda funny: I remember when I first lurked on t-nation in the early aughts and it was the “bad boy muscle building” site. We’ve all kinda grown up, and though I miss the machismo and drama every once in a while, the community as a whole is just 100% more awesome. We’re all doing well and remembering the good times.

@simo74 Glad you dug the blog entry. It’s really the same with any hobby. We love seeing the people who perform at the peak, but what we DON’T get to see is all the work that got there. We love watching some dude shred on guitar: who wants to watch that dude practice scales for hours at a pop? Speaking of my dog, he put an end to my harmonica dreams because he kept howling whenever I’d try to practice, haha. And too true on “the industry”. The fact there even IS a fitness industry speaks volumes: you can’t industrialize “hard work”, so you gotta find SOMETHING to sell. Bob Hoffman and Joe Weider almost went out of business selling barbells, and then went gangbusters selling supplements. Bob had 3 different kinds of supplements on the market: a weight gainer, a post workout shake, and a weight loss shake. And they were all the exact same powder! They just came with different mixing instructions. Glen Pendlay (RIP) made some of the best equipment on the market…and that killed his business, because people would buy it once and never need to buy anything from him ever again. That’s the cost of integreity.

Consequently, it’s why my e-book is free. I don’t want to be part of the industry. I’m the magician who tells you how the trick is done when it’s over, haha.

AM WORKOUT (0330 wake up via alarm)

GIANT SETS (jump-squat-row)

Box jumps (deadlift mats+ 2 35lb plates, highest height so far)
3x4

Buffalo bar squats
5xBar
5x140
5x230
5x355
5x400
5x450 (Denver squat on final rep)
13+5+4x355 (+5lb/2 rep PR)

T-bar rows
10x125
4x10x150

CIRCUIT 5 rounds, no rest of

8 SSB lunges w/115lbs
4 standing ab wheels
10 dips
8 reverse hypers

Belt squat stripset (no lockout)
28x200
Reps of 175, 150, 125, 100, 75, 50, 25 and axle

CONDITIONING

10 rounds of
5 power cleans w/95
5 chins (various grips)

Time: 9:06

Notes: This was a real grind. Again: fitting schedule around life. Squat weight felt much heavier than it had any right to be. Topset was very touchy on depth, but the backoff set made up for it. Worked in that circuit to get some daily work knocked out (somewhere in there I got in my pull aparts and pushdowns too), and got the chins in with the conditioning. Belt squats were awesome, and happy to have some rep growth on the backoff set. Making the most of the post Deep Water effect while my weight drops.

On that note, really starting to see the effects of the fat loss now, and, in turn, the impact on carbs. We ended up going out to our favorite chinese buffet/mongolian grill last night, and even though I stuck with the mongolian grill with seafood, veggies and soy sauce along with a single piece of general tsaos and sesame chicken, just the trace amount of carbs in the breading and sauces had my veins popping before bed and me looking absolutely shredded post training this morning. Saw the striations in my shoulders again, full deep set of abs, etc. Crazy how that happens. Also observed that I’m dealing with gluteal atrophy again. When my GHR was up and running, I had solved that. Since it broke, I’ve been lazy coming up with a fix. I’m thinking of treating myself to a GHR for an upcoming birthday.

On THAT note, I’m too good at losing fat. It’s too easy to not eat, especially during trying times. I’m out of my head a lot these days outside of training. I think 1 more week (a deload) of reduced cals should be about the limit. Also worth noting that my training belts are fitting stupidly loose again. It IS pretty cool I’ve figured out a battle rhythm of X months on/Y weeks off.

11 Likes

PM WORKOUT (1400)

4 mile run with the Mrs

Notes: Longer and earlier run than usual. Mrs wants more time out of the house. We’ve been taking our dog for long walks as well, and will get in a walk later today.

3 Likes