Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

Always a major compliment from you dude: much appreciated. “Hard work magic” is about the only kind my barbarian brain will tolerate, haha.

1 Like

Missed this, where is the comp?

How could you miss it dude?!

Haha. Comp will be in Witchita Kansas.

1 Like

DEEP WATER INTERMEDIATE Week 5, Workout 1

AM WORKOUT (0700) Post 12 hour night shift

Buffalo Bar Squats 350
1x16
7x12

5 minutes rest between first 4 sets, 4:45 for remainder

SUPERSET (hyper-ab)

Reverse hyper 270
5x10

Standing ab wheel
5x4

Notes: “Hey, what did you do after your 12 hour night shift?”, just come home, speed eat breakfast and absolutely crush the second hardest workout of Deep Water. This went incredibly well. Final set I had to rest a little at the top for the final 3 reps, but otherwise I just blew it away. Last time I ran this program, THIS was the make or break point, and now it’s just a checkpoint on my way to the final week. I can keep patting myself on the back about this, but in general things are just going too damn well.

Got lawn mowing on the agenda along with a deadlift based WOD.

Exertion headache already setting in. Deep…Water…

8 Likes

F YEAH man.

Haha I though I’d asked before… my brain filed it under “nevermind” because it’s far away. I’m in Texas and if one was nearby, I’d consider taking my older boys. For their education.

1 Like

Now if we wanna talk about the “suck” part of training, and Pwn’s mention of “overcoming”, THIS is it for me.

Fuck eating.

2 Likes

This is the kind of thinking that comes from putting pineapple and bacon on pizza.

2 Likes

1 Like

@jdm135 No worries dude. TX is a bit out of the way for now, but if I ever end up there I’ll be sure to hit you up.

@kdjohn And here I was thinking we could combine your “Land of Milk and Honey” diet with my Tower of Babel workout for some sort of “Samson Strong” programming. Hell, internet lifting kiddos could do a helluva lot worse.

AM WORKOUT II (0930)

90 minutes of lawn mowing

WOD
308lb deadlift-chins-dips
3 Time: 5:24

Notes: Got things done earlier than expected Feeling beat to hell.

1 Like

Macros? Covered.

Strength and conditioning? Handled.

Copyright that shit right away. We’ll be rich.

2 Likes

Just don’t cut your hair…

Squats and milk? Would never work.

3 Likes

Finally read last Friday’s blog post, Pwn, and just wanted to say I really enjoyed it. Your work and your words continue to help reframe my thinking.

1 Like

stumbled across your blog post on transformation looking for BBB Beefcake reviews. Appreciated the content and pokemon/futurama memes and references. Good read.

1 Like

@SvenG Much appreciated dude! They’re words I try to live by.

@cstan097 Thanks dude! I’ll always fly that nerd flag with pride.

Got the day off with the Mrs today, so quick work. Did 100 KB swings fasted and later after lunch did 30 135lb thrusters in 2:58 (first sub 3 minute time) and all my daily work.

6 Likes

DEEP WATER INTERMEDIATE Week 5, Workout 2

AM WORKOUT (0300 wake up via alarm)

Axle clean and push press away 175 w/4:45 rest (10 band pull aparts between sets)
1x16
7x12

Immediately after final set
50 dips
25 pushdowns

Lateral raise stripset (no rest, STILL immediately post final set of presses)
20x20lbs
20x10
20x5
20x2.5
20xEmpty hands
45 second empty hands raised to sides ala crucific hold

90 second rest

Poundstone Curls
110xAxle+2.5lbs per side

Notes: This went much better than the last time. I had to drop the axle on the last rep for the final 2 sets, but rather than do a make up rest pause set on the final set like I did last time, I just treated it like a comp, re-cleaned and pressed the weight as needed. Figured getting in more cleans was never a bad thing. First set of these is ALWAYS rocky, as it takes a bit of doing first thing in the morning for my body to get coordinated and explosive, but after that it moved smoothly. This program just always surprises you in the final 2 weeks.

Thrusters continue to be the magic solution for toy soldier walking after squats. I’m feeling pretty decent. Sore, but not crippled.

Went very slightly off diet with a small serving of cake and ice cream yesterday. Once again, there’s no real denial to this: I don’t care to eat the stuff anymore. Just want more protein. On that note, went out for wings for lunch and go an awesome 10 piece with lemon pepper dry rub. Wife and kiddo have also taken to gardening, and I’m getting a LOT of cucumbers in my diet now right from the garden. Couple peppers and tomatoes too. We’re buying a lot of local produce from the farmer’s markets nearby. I know 20 year old me would never listen to 30 year old me, but it’s crazy the difference nutritional QUALITY makes.

I say all this looking at my orange dreamsicle Reign I am drinking…

9 Likes

PM WORKOUT (1445)

95lb thrusters-chins-40kg KB swings
5 rounds of 10 reps each
Time: 7:15

Notes: Just something I came up with to get in my daily work and some thrusters to get my legs to keep healing before Tang Soo Do tonight. Since the heat index is 106 out there and I’m still in the garage, this was an effective way to simulate the experience of being a baked potato.

Except since I’m a non-carbohydrate based lifeform, I suppose it was more like being a boiling lobster.

Which is awesome, because fun fact: lobsters are immortal. But like, “Highlander immortal”. They won’t die from natural causes, but you can definitely kill them.

Much like what this WOD was trying to do to me.

8 Likes

There can be only one

4 Likes

Oh man, those are too good. As in, I don’t let myself have them because one quickly becomes 3 good haha

1 Like

@ChongLordUno I had a feeling that would attract the scots, haha.

@atlas13 No joke. I honestly wish they made a decaf version. I’d totally drink it. The caffeine is dandy, but I just enjoy them.

DEEP WATER INTERMEDIATE Week 5, Workout 3

AM WORKOUT (0525 wake up via alarm, 0700 workout)

Chins (various grips) 2 minute rest
3xF

Clean pulls 135 2 min rest
3x10

Log cleans 150 4:45 rest (10 band pull aparts between sets)
1x16
7x12

Axle shrugs against light bands
1x108

BW reverse hypers
1x40

Kroc rows 115
1x16

Notes: Holy cow this eliminated me. Definitely running into the red. Timing out about perfect. Gotta keep up the nutrition, especially while my sleep is crazy. Got through this, did my best to pop the log on every rep, and came out stronger. May do some weighted vest walking later, POSSIBLY some keg carries, or save that for tomorrow.

Tang Soo Do last night wasn’t bad. Decent workout. Did some training on breakfalls. Fun to bring out some wrestling for that.

5 Likes