Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

@mr.v3lv3t Glad you appreciated that post dude. It certainly has helped me a bunch. Kaz summed it up well

AM WORKOUT

Buffalo Bar Squat
5xBar
5x140
3x230
1x320

REST PAUSE (12 deep breaths between sets)
7x390
3x390
2x2x390
1x390
7x340
4x340
2x340
1x340
7x300
15x230

SUPERSETS (squat-hyper)

Belt squats 150
3x20
STRIPSET
20x150
20x125
10x90
10x45

Reverse hyper 360
3x13
1x12

CONDITIONING

That snatch/jump/clean thing I do with 115lbs

8 rounds in 5:37

Notes: 90 seconds rest between giant sets. Did this a little earlier than usual, as I was having some bad head spins this morning and wanted to get my pre-workout carbs going sooner rather than later. Fair chance Iā€™ve been undereating: went to bed at 179, and I typically lose a fair amount during the night, so I may be walking around at less than 177. Still upping the pre and post workout carbs, but Iā€™m contemplating throwing in a scoop of protein powder in with my yogurt in the morning to get it a little more dense. Possibly half a scoop.

That belt squat stripset is money. Itā€™s exactly what I wanted out of it. In the future, I may go with 10lb metal plates so I can make changes even faster and less dramatic, but so far the mail is being answered.

My back was screaming through this workout. Iā€™ve been running all my training together recently and Iā€™m sure itā€™s showing, but Iā€™m going on a business trip at the end of the month and Iā€™m unsure what the training situation will be like.

Noticed my glutes were really sore coming into this. I think thatā€™s a product of the touch and go trap bar pulls, which is most likely a sign that all the time AWAY from touch and go has impacted my glute strength. Which means this will be a great ā€œnewā€ stimulus for growth.

Going to get in a mile walk with the Mrs soon, and already got in my 25 GHRs, 30 chins and 30 band pull aparts. Going to try to get in a TKD lesson with the kiddo today.

Also, check out the sweet Derek Poundstone poster I got from Ironmind over Labor Day.

6 Likes

The best cure for involuntary insomnia is voluntary insomnia.

4 Likes

You raise a good point, as I forgot to mention that I had ANOTHER night of great sleep. I genuinely wonder if I finally broke whatever was wrong.

2 Likes

TKD Lesson

Itā€™s been a while, so we went over the basics. Punches, front snap kicks, round kicks, knife hands, and then low block, middle block and high block. Leg checks too. Kid was pulling the whole ā€œI canā€™t keep my balance/flopping on the floorā€ thing again so I flat out told them ā€œBalance is a key part of TKD. I have taught you ALL the TKD you can learn without balance. If you want to learn any more TKD, you will have to find your balance.ā€ Suddenly, like a light switch, it was there. Taught the kid horse stance, which was an adventure, but I think we got it. I swear they donā€™t have my genetics sometime, because as soon as they encounter resistance on anything they just quit. That doesnā€™t come from mom either. Finished off the lesson with roundhouses, and they actually looked pretty legit.

In nutrition news, may be switching the post lower body nutrition up a touch. The dried fruit is yummy, but has a significant cleansing effect due to high fiber content. Thatā€™s not necessarily bad, but can be inconvenient on work days. May consider swapping some of it up for grapes and bananas: both seem to be higher sugar and lower fiber. One of the best meals I ever had was a banana pancake with honey syrup in Bali, and I could definitely replicate bananas and honey post workout and be happy with that. The more obvious solution is rice cereal, but I really want to get more fruit in my diet.

3 Likes

Apparently, one of the most effective therapies for chronic insomnia is controlled sleep deprivation

1 Like

Itā€™s been 100% effective for me over the last 10 years so maybe thereā€™s something to it.

Come to think of it, when I stopped sleeping almost altogether on night shift I was only able to begin to remedy it by forcing myself to stay up until like 11am after getting off at 7am. Then I could sleep like 6-7 hours and get back at 7pm.

1 Like

I love aā€¦ thereā€™s not really a good way to say warm banana, but thatā€™s it. Banana bread, banana pancakes, even bananas in oatmeal. So good.

Iā€™ve battled nausea or low blood sugar post workout in the past and grapes were a phenomenal choice to recover.

2 Likes

@Frank_C Banana bread is phenomenol. I normally canā€™t stand bananas, but they go very well in baked goods. Starting every morning off with those pancakes was a godsend. Definitely one of those ā€œlast mealā€ sorta foods.

EARLY AM WORKOUT (0300 Wakeup)

(3) Incline DB bench 105s
1x13
1x9
1x8

Swiss bar incline bench 205
1x10
1x8
1x7

Axle bench press 210+chains
1x10
1x7
1x6+4(no chains)+4(no chains) rest pause

Pull ups between sets of benching
5x9
4x8
1x10

Dips (rest pause)
50+19+17+17+17+18+15

Poundstone curls
100xAxle

Notes: 2:00 between sets. Small victory on the DB pressing in hitting previous numbers with shorter rest: progress is progress. Really liked the rest pause without the chains on the final set of benching: definitely making that a regular thing. Also think rest pausing the dips is the way to go for the future. Still ran the workout a touch on the short side, since I had to get this done before work. Evening is going to be a little tight, but wanna get in a little more work and some conditioning, since I have to keep shaving that off. Caffeine is going to be on the high side today: actually drank an energy drink in the middle of the workout, breaking one of my taboos about drinking stuff while I train. Still not a fan of doing that.

3 Likes

If it hasnā€™t already been done thatā€™s a thread in the making!

Thereā€™s a geographical component to mine. Had the best seafood of my life in Madeira, but it was so damn good because it was bloody fresh out of the ocean. Not like ā€œtodayā€™s catchā€ but rather ā€œwe just caught this, you hungry?ā€

2 Likes

5 Likes

@alex_uk Definitely be interesting to see where that would go. Those pancakes are there. I also had bacon ruined for me at a VERY early age: my momā€™s family had a farm in upstate New York that slaugthered their own pigs. My first taste of bacon was fresh farm bacon. It was deliciousā€¦and Iā€™ve never been able to recapture it again. Iā€™d want that bacon. In a similar notation, I shared a story with @kdjohn about how my wife and I once made nachos topped with bacon and it was so delicious we agreed we could never make it again, as it would be too easy to eat too often. I somehow see a good pot roast and ribeye making it in there, and beef ribs. Iā€™m a sucker for all of those.

@Voxel Definitely a big part of it. I need THOSE specific foods from those specific places.

1 Like

Underrated post

1 Like

PM Workout

20 minute weighted vest walk w/45lbs

NG chins rest pause (various grips)
30+9+7+4 (50 reps total)

Band pull aparts
1x30

Tabata KB swings w/45lb bell

2.38 mile walk

Notes: Wanted to get in a 2 a day. Originally wanted to push the prowler, but found out that my street is full of black putty to fix cracks in it that my prowler kept pulling up, so went with the KB swings to get in some sort of conditioning.

Had a 12oz New York Strip Steak at Texas Roadhouse. First ā€œrealā€ steak in months. It was phenomenal. I was curious if I would lose the taste for it, but I just appreciate it even more.

2 Likes

EARLY AM WORKOUT

50 minute walk w/45lb weight vest

Notes: First 20 minutes was leisurely walk with the dogs, then dropped them off and went for a more brisk walk on my own. Was supposed to get my 80lb vest yesterday, but all that arrived was the weights: no vest. Frustrating but not unexpected: second time CAP Barbell biffed the order. Thatā€™ll teach me to deal with them. Hopefully resolution soon.

The walk wasnā€™t what Iā€™d call exhausting, but I was happy to be done when it was over. Some extra weight will go a long way. Need to find more hills too.

Left calf cramped up bad on my last jump workout and has stayed kinked for a while. Didnā€™t notice it on the walk today, but itā€™s still a bit tight. Going to try running with the Mrs tomorrow: will see how that goes.

Intending on doing a crossfit WOD in the afternoon after work. Something like thrusters and pull ups or Grace. Itā€™s been nice being able to train harder/more with the bump in calories.

Mixed in a small scoop of protein powder with the yogurt/PB powder this morning. Iā€™m using the protein scooper in the PB powder and the PB scooper for the protein: makes for an interesting blend.

EDIT: Leaning toward Fran for the WOD today. Having never done an actual thruster, it should be a decent breakin. Plan to keep pull ups strict until I canā€™t.

2 Likes

PM WORKOUT

Crossfit WOD FRAN

21 thrusters (a front squat to push press) w/95lbs
21 pull ups (strict)
15 thrusters
15 pull ups (strict)
9 thrusters
9 pull ups (strict)

Time: 7:20

2 minute rest

Tabata KB swings w/45lbs

Notes: The hardest part of Fran was the thrusters, and specifically getting my body coordinated enough to do them. First half was just a deliberate front squat followed by a press, but eventually I found my groove. I liked this for what it was, and will keep it in the rotation. KB swings made up for yesterday, as I got interrupted on the final set, and itā€™s honestly just solid conditioning.

5 Likes

At least Titan delivers

20200916_173555

Good packaging and covered in cosmoline too.

5 Likes

Haha that thing looks insane!

I like Fran. Fran is fun. Good solid work bud

1 Like