Reasons Why I'm a Christian, and So Should You

6 Likes

Did anyone else look at the threads on BB? That was an interesting bit of reading…

So this raises an interesting question regarding identity, as you kept denying that you were a troll, only to then re-affirm that you were, in fact, a troll, it was just simply on a different website.

It asks the question of if who you are is a question of what you do, or if identity is something ascribed in the mind rather than through action.

That said, I’d avoid use of “goddamn” when declaring yourself a troll. What with it being taking the lord’s name in vain and all.

3 Likes

well I guess I’m glad I posted. lol.

Also, you were on here years ago as well, were you not? I remember your face. I think you used a different name, but you have been a Tnation member previously.

1 Like

I FIGURED IT OUT!

You’re Bee_Brian.

God I’m fucking sexy.

3 Likes

:flushed:

1 Like

Things have gone sideways here, so maybe this late.

You have people who talk about their particular religious perspective from a purely devotional aspect. I suspect most of us can appreciate people trying to share their belief in a personal way, and people will usually be respectful when it’s just talking about how something makes your life better, or how you came to believe the way you do. If you have something that’s changed your life in a positive way, it’s natural to want to share it. Often the motive is well-meaning and sincere. How many of us have done that with lifting?

BUT - As we saw in Trib’s thread, courage of conviction (I’m being optimistic about motives) doesn’t always translate well, particularly when a position immediately picks a fight with almost everyone, believer and nonbeliever alike. “Let me tell you why you’re all wrong,” or “Let me help you be more like me,” rarely touches any hearts.

As far as young earth creationism, or the literal interpretation of the Genesis story, I hope this isn’t offensive to the OP or anyone else. Maybe this will be helpful. If that’s your belief, then when talking about dinosaurs or the fossil record, maybe it’s better to just say, “I don’t know,” rather to engage in apologetics, or speculation like one mentioned earlier, something about how dinosaurs may have been put here by the devil as some kind of trap? It’s probably better to just say, “I don’t know. It’s not in the Bible, so maybe it’s not important to my salvation. That doesn’t mean God doesn’t have some purpose for it that I don’t comprehend, or that he has not yet revealed all of his ways to us. Someday, when I meet God, I’ll ask him, ‘what’s up with the dinosaurs?’.”

My tradition is in some ways outside the Protestant or Catholic tradition, so I hope this isn’t offensive. Clearly, the Bible wasn’t meant to be a science textbook. From my faith tradition, “The Glory of God is intelligence, which is light and truth.” It’s possible that humans may not be intelligent enough to fully understand our own universe, or even to fully understand our own human experience and motives, but we’re inquisitive beings who will try our best. Talking from my perspective here, but an intelligent God would delight in his children striving to understand the natural world, and in our use of knowledge in ways that improve the human condition. To not use and be grateful for our intellectual gifts, is akin to hiding your talents. For me, there’s no need for religious faith to oppose education or intellectual curiosity about anything.

If we were to talk about the underlying mechanisms behind belief, that’s a very different kind of conversation. It could be psychological, or social, or philosophical. The history of stories and myths of good and evil and heroic characters that occur across cultures. Just fascinating to me. If you have people open to doing this, you can have some really cool discussions between religious people and nonbelievers. I think we did that a little bit in the other thread “What’s your religion and why?” In fact, faith almost doesn’t matter, because you’re not really talking about belief in a devotional way. Sometimes this is easier than trying to talk theological differences among people who fall under the Christian umbrella, but who disagree and want to Bible-bash over some point of doctrine or creed.

Explaining belief in a “this is from my faith tradition, what’s your doctrine?” kind of way is interesting to me. I’m interested in understanding belief (and unbelief) from in a human experience way. In looking at it from an intellectual perspective, or from a comparative religion, finding common ground perspective. That can be really worthwhile I think.

5 Likes

What I don’t get is how Christ died for our sins. He was captured and didn’t have a choice.

Ooh, an argument about predestination vs free will perhaps?

Just playing devil’s advocate here, but a guy who can turn water into wine and magic thousands of loaves and fishes into eixstence can surely trounce a few roman soldiers? Implying that he had a choice. I realise that’s a daft argument, I’m just seeing where it leads.

imagine if I sacrificed myself for someone. In the right circumstance, I’d risk my life for a stranger—or at least I hope I would. That kind of sacrifice is very different. A selfish, imperfect man acting against his nature to make the ultimate unselfish sacrifice is far more remarkable than a perfect being acting according to his nature, and yet people make sacrifices for others all the time. So why single out the actions of Jesus? Aren’t everyday noble actions by ordinary people more remarkable and laudable?

But how was his crucifixion worse than any of the other thousands who were crucified?

I don’t get how Jesus took upon him everyone’s sin?

Doesn’t God forgive everyone anyway?

What’s the difference between forgiving Jesus for our sins and forgiving the sinner directly?

I think you get a better deal on bulk sins.

1 Like

Jesus’ crucifixion was not physically more painful than to the next guy. It was a crushing, from bearing the sins of every person ever. And doing it while being innocent himself.

God always had a plan to allow imperfect Man to approach perfect God. Jesus was and is that plan. An innocent and sinless man to die (be a sacrificial lamb) for a guilty and sinful man (ALL of us). But the Bible is clear - only God can give the means acceptable to approach God. He has chosen our belief in accepting Jesus as a savior as that means.

But why? Simply put - God’s ways are not our ways, and his thoughts are not our thoughts. They are as far as the heavens from the earth.

Put another way - your child doesn’t understand why he must eat vegetables and sleep 12 hours, but the parent does.
Or Fido doesn’t understand why you have to leave every day at 7:30 & be gone for hours, or why he can’t run in the highway on your return.
Or closer, your pet worms don’t know where those scraps come from, they just appear and a feast is had.

I encourage any who don’t believe in God, to ask him directly why he has hidden himself from them. He will reveal himself, if you seek him sincerely.

1 Like

If only all religious people had a similar outlook to this.

2 Likes

And less like this…

1 Like

Treco, I didn’t know if you were following this thread but I hoped you’d come answer that question. I knew you’d do it in an articulate and beautiful way. The suffering and atonement in the garden is of utmost importance. Vital to the plan of salvation. All the sins and afflictions, pains of the world. There was no one else who could bear it, or who was good enough. Mercy so encompassing that it would meet the demands of divine justice.

@anon71262119

I have enjoyed your posts on these several threads. Are you sure you aren’t really a Baptist like your Grams? :blush:

Enjoy your weekend.

1 Like

Ha! Cross posting! Thank you. If I was in your area and could hear you teach Sunday school, I’d love to do it.

A good weekend to you, my friend.

Why is encouraging you to ask God himself so odious?