T Nation

Reasons Why I'm a Christian, and So Should You

Reasons why I’m a Christian, and so should you…

Hi guys. I enjoy talking about religion and philosophy. And this will be an attempt to encourage non-Christians here to consider trying Christianity. I am very passionate about my religion and I believe that everyone, assuming they want a better life and afterlife, should submit their hearts to The One True God.

Here are my reasons…

• Christianity has good and sensible teachings. The best example would be Christ’s second commandment, which says that you must love your neighbors as yourself. Personally, my favorite Biblical teaching is a part of Jesus’s Sermon on the Mount, which says that you shouldn’t worry about the future. Instead, you should worry about the problems NOW, because the future by itself will have its own problems, separate from today’s.

• It has been established throughout Christian history that God is more than just a Creator and a Ruler. He is also a very present, very personal God who watches over all of us in His own way. By being acquainted with Him, we immediately get granted with access to infinite power. With faith, we can move mountains. Christianity is a relationship with God. And by having a relationship with Him, we gain tremendous advantage in all aspects of our lives.

• Church attendance isn’t necessary. It’s good to attend a Church for fellowship purposes, but even if you don’t, you can still be a Christian by having faith.

• A famed science and philosophy professor named Michael Polanyi once stated that religion is what gives life meaning, not science. By letting science give meaning to our lives, Polanyi said, it would destroy it instead of enhancing it. Christianity gives context to our lives and explains to us why we are here in the first place. In the book of Genesis, it states that we were all created in the image and likeness of God. This is a wonderful and healthier belief than believing that we came from apes. It gives us a justified kind of arrogance which in my opinion is very healthy.

• Belief in the existence of God is scientifically sound. Look up the cosmological argument and the teleological argument.

• 17th century mathematician Blaise Pascal stated that, weighing the pros and cons, it is a much safer bet to believe in God than not to believe in Him.

Those are my reasons. Let’s discuss…

So do most religions.

Most religions are about a relationship about God.[quote=“zombocalypse, post:1, topic:230641”]
Church attendance isn’t necessary.
[/quote]

Nor is it if you are a Athiest or any other religion. [quote=“zombocalypse, post:1, topic:230641”]
In the book of Genesis, it states that we were all created in the image and likeness of God. This is a wonderful and healthier belief than believing that we came from apes. It gives us a justified kind of arrogance which in my opinion is very healthy.
[/quote]

Wait do you not believe in evolution? [quote=“zombocalypse, post:1, topic:230641”]
Belief in the existence of God is scientifically sound. Look up the cosmological argument and the teleological argument.
[/quote]

Both Teleological and cosmological are not what scientists would call “sound”.

Then why a Christian God in specific?

Another religion thread. Yay

Question. How old do you believe this planet is?

I think you’re confusing “sound” with “plausible.” To my knowledge, neither of those things absolutely proves god exists, but merely that it’s possible for him to exist.

No scientifically literate person believes we “came from apes.”

To the contrary, science is, by definition, utterly mute with respect to the existence of God.

@hugh_gilly @pfury

I don’t believe in evolution. I believe Earth is about 6,000 to 10,000 years old. I believe in the literal six-day creation of the world.

I’m not one of those liberal Christians who ascribes to old earth creationism or theistic evolution. I’m pretty hardcore. lol

Just checking. Have a nice day.

@pfury

Please come back! I haven’t converted you yet!

@EyeDentist

Then what do scientists believe? Isn’t evolution the idea of us evolving from apes?

There is absolutely no way you can “Convert me”

No evolution then I guess.

Quick questions:
How do you explain the 3 muscles surrounding your ears that contract in a attempt to turn the ear towards sound but don’t do anything? These muscles are the ones that make mammals turn their ears round but don’t do anything in humans.
Or goosebumps which would’ve raised our longer haired relatives fur to make them insulated but don’t do anything now?
Or how at 4 weeks of gestation we have a long tail with 12 developing vertebrae but the cells die so we are only left with a tail bone?

Please explain those 3 without evolution.

Please do not take this personally (although as I write it, it looks kinda personal).

I’m opposed to religion in an “above average” sense even when talking to mildly religious people, but I will sometimes entertain the conversation as I enjoy internet debates where I get a free win in my own head. When talking to hardcore people such as yourself, my first instinct is to run in the opposite direction, with the fallback being to walk quickly in the opposite direction.

I place too much stock in science to slam my head into my desk over hardcore religion.

I like this, Very well worded…^^^

@pfury

Okay. I understand.

Assuredly not. Evolution posits that humans and apes had a common ancestor, but the human (homo) clade split off at least 4 million years ago.

No. Technically, we used to be a single celled organism. Your great great great great great times a lot grandfather was a fish. Eventually, we get humans.

Evolution isn’t one of those things that you “believe in” or not, it’s fact, proven without a doubt. If you don’t “believe” in the fact of evolution, it’s because you don’t know enough about it. Here’s a great video by Richard Dawkins, the authority of Evolutionary Biology. You could easily search for more on your own if you want.

I’m not sure why it’s acceptable for evolution to be something that is acceptable to hear someone say that “believe” in it or don’t. As is the belief that the Earth is

No, it isn’t, most definitely not. The Earth also isn’t flat.

How the hell should I know? I’m a Christian, not a biologist.

This whole thing is new to me.

I’m going to assume that either zombocalypse is extraordinarily simple minded, or that he is trolling. His avatar picture leads me to believe this is a distinct possibility.

In either event, I don’t see how any discussion here could be worthwhile.

I must question one thing…You don’t believe in Evolution…
Your name is Zombocalypse…Do you believe a zombie apocalypse could potentially take place or is this just a fan thing?

I know the two of those things I pointed out don’t particularly go together, however, if you believe zombies could exist why not the act of evolution?

I chose the username Zombocalypse because it sounds cool and I have an overwhelming fascination with death.

I don’t believe in a possible zombie apocalypse.