Reasonably Achievable?

In order to motivate myself and stay motivated i like to write goals, as do most.

So if I’m 6ft, 17.3%, 76kgs, would being in contest ready shape by the end of next year be achievable? Say stats of approximately 7-8%BF and 90kgs, if i bulked till mid next year and then focused on body composition??

How long does anyone tend to bulk for anyways?

Contest shape? Give us more info, did you just pick up body building and expect to compete next year or do you have some lifting under your belt?

About bulking, from what I’ve seen you generally bulk in the offseason and start cutting fat 2 to 3 months before contests. That gives you 8-9 months to pick up ALOT of weight without increasing your bodyfat too much, because you’re already at 17. If you were 7-8% fat right now, you’d weigh about 68kgs if not a bit less. So basically you’ve got at least 32kgs of MUSCLE to pick up in a year. Better go throw some chicken breast on the grill right fucking now lol.

FELLA!

shoot for the moon. ALWAYS pic a bigger goal than what you think you can do

bite off more than you can chew

why not amaze yourself and test your limits. That is the whole point to life.

You should probably read a recent Dave Tate article. Let me see if I can find that for you.

get your mind out of “reasonable limits” right now.

Here you go

you must read #1

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/9_great_secrets_of_training_success

and the second part

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/shut_the_hell_up_and_listen&cr=

get to work, you’ve got a lot to accomplish and only you are standing in your way

I agree that you need to aim high but setting impossible goals will only leave you with a sense of failure if you don’t make it. Bodybuilding is not a sprint but a marathon.

If competition is your goal and you’re starting from scratch, I’d say give yourself 2 years instead of one. But what the fuck do I know, maybe you have crazy genetics and plan to use steroids so just shoot for next year if you want! Good luck

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
I agree that you need to aim high but setting impossible goals will only leave you with a sense of failure if you don’t make it. Bodybuilding is not a sprint but a marathon.
If competition is your goal and you’re starting from scratch, I’d say give yourself 2 years instead of one. But what the fuck do I know, maybe you have crazy genetics and plan to use steroids so just shoot for next year if you want! Good luck[/quote]

I get what you are saying about not setting yourself up for failure.

I know I am not going to be an astronaut so that shouldn’t be my goal

But I hope the OP just goes all out. Just tears it up and pushes himself harder than he thought he could

I try not to put a time limit on my long-term goals. Mostly because I often am unsure of how reasonable they are.

I will, however, use a schedule for my short-term goals. I mean, if you wanna gain 30kg of muscle, you first have to gain 10kg. Your experience in gaining the first 10kg will provide a better window of how much time it’ll take you to gain the next 10kg.

In the macro-sense though, if you wanted to compete as a 90kg bodybuilder and needed to gain 32kg of muscle, this would probably take you in itself almost a year and a half (averaging about 2kg/month, which is a little on the high side, but possible, even if natural. I’m basing this not on experience, but on several things I’ve read, so take it with a pillar of salt). Then you’d probably need to shed about 30 kg of fat (just feels like a good number- you’ve got some fat on you currently, and you’ll add more on your bulk), which will in and of itself probably take you half to a full year in and of itself (average of 2kg/month, give or take some).

So more realistically for that goal, you’re looking at two and a half years.

interesting, i was trying to say aim for a kilo of muscle a month for 12 months, try what Waterbury recommends (although i dont know how my body will respond to 10/10 - shedding 10 and gaining 10 pounds), thus it would prob end up about 85 kgs in contest shape if all goes well.

do powerlifters gain more muscle then bodybuilders?? goes dave tate is fucking huge, used to eat shit, and still had only about 18% bodyfat…

yeah Dave Tate was what i was being somewhat inspired by

that and powerlifting bodybuilders like ronnie coleman and jackson

You don’t seem too sure about your goals. Do you want to compete in bodybuilding or powerlifting? Get this, you can be a strong bodybuilder or a good looking lifter, but you can’t excel in both.

“do powerlifters gain more muscle then bodybuilders?”

Don’t you think bodybuilders wouldn’t exist if you could look like Cutler just from powerlifting ?

I think you need to reevaluate what you really want to do before setting any goals at all.

A kg of muscle per month is much more realistic an expectation than 2kg.

I do not mean to impugn the reputation, knowledge, experience, or dedication of Dave Tate, but I’m pretty sure he was on AAS in the ‘before’ picture. That skews how much muscle is really added with straight ME and DE work.

yeah didnt mean more muscle, but with greater density, but yes i wanna be a strong bodybuilder definately

Well anything is possible with enough will, determination and hard work! Its going to come down to your gentics and how fast you can gain the muscle and shed the fat but If I where you Id aim @ 2 years down the road just because walking on stage is a tuff thing to do I know Id never have the balls to do it and your gona want to be confident thats one of the most important parts of bodybuilding presenting your physique but thats just my 2 cents

Amit, who is Thibs client, does both powerlifting and bodybuilding.

I think Mad Titan who is amazingly gorgeous and strong also does both

There isn’t any reason you can’t do both, it is just harder to keep up the mass and keep lean