T Nation

Rear Delts Won't Develop

i’ve been trying to get my rear delts to grow but nothing sems to work. i’ve tried face pulls and reverse flies, but they don;t even feel pumped or sore ever.
Any suggestions wht i should do? which exercise works for you and what set/rep do you use?

How many sets and repetitions are you doing?

I do bent over lateral raises and reverse flies at a pretty high set and repetition range at 5x10 and it definitely gets sore. Also, have you chosen a weight where you are going to pretty much failure on your last two or three repetitions of the last set? That is what I have found to work for me.

Hope these were helpful.

Thanks for the videos!

I’m definitely going to try the overhead cable rear delt on my next shoulders day.

Also, rear delt rows:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidPosterior/BBRearDeltRow.html

I do these with DB’s like bent over rows. Similar to the 2nd video posted but not quite.

It’s no different from any other muscle group…

You need to gain bodyweight, and increase your strength on a few exercises for the rear delt.

Doing a new exercise isn’t going to mean jack shit if you aren’t moving up.

Definitely read over the article that was posted this week on the EMG testing of the various deltoid heads. He made a pretty good list of which exercises hit which heads the best. And muscles don’t always have to be sore to grow, especially something like deltoids that get used so much throughout the rest of the day. Just be patient with them.

If you aren’t getting a pump than you probably cant feel that muscle working. Doing movements without feeling the target muscle working will only HURT your progress. You need to find a way to isolate the muscle, keep it under constant tension, and get stronger while doing that.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
If you aren’t getting a pump than you probably cant feel that muscle working. Doing movements without feeling the target muscle working will only HURT your progress. You need to find a way to isolate the muscle, keep it under constant tension, and get stronger while doing that. [/quote]

Exactly. I think this is where a lot of people get the idea that bodybuilders are weak. Isolating a muscle or part of a muscle ‘by feel’ involves lowering the weight until you can target the tension exactly where you want it.

Someone on these forums, in a pointless argument thread, mentioned something about BBers using the least amount of weight they can get away with. Of course, that’s completely backwards. You use the MOST weight you can, while still being able to focus on the exact area you’re working on.