T Nation

Really Want To Get Back Into Training Again

Hey guys, I just recently signed up on T-Nation after having a friend recommend this site to me; from what I’ve seen, there’s a great wealth of information here as well as a lot of people that actually know what they’re doing, which is really cool. This is primarily why I’m typing all of this right now.

I’ve lifted for a couple of years and I’ve decided I really want to participate in something and learn a new thing or two.(I’m still in the process of completing my profile, which I should have done within a few days.)

But back to the reason for this post: I desperately need to get back into a good, solid program. I starting lifting at 15 due to health issues, like a lot of young people, and it completely turned my life around. It led me into football and wrestling, which made me consume myself with lifting even more. When I finished my first year of college, I had some decent numbers for my size/height and I felt the best I ever had.

That’s when real life took over, work for the most part, and I had to stop until now. I feel week, really weak. I’m still the same size (5’ 9", 170-175ish lbs) when I was putting up my best lifts, but I’m nowhere near as strong as I used to be. Quite frankly, it sucks, and I don’t really know how to or what program to get myself into since all my old lifting was based off my wrestling coach’s program.

I know all about the basic compound movements, deads, squats, bench, military press, etc. etc., I just don’t have something to follow. Any advice/constructive criticism is surely welcome.

I hope to learn a lot being here, thanks for your time.

[quote]CodeOrangeKid wrote:
Hey guys, I just recently signed up on T-Nation after having a friend recommend this site to me; from what I’ve seen, there’s a great wealth of information here as well as a lot of people that actually know what they’re doing, which is really cool. This is primarily why I’m typing all of this right now.

I’ve lifted for a couple of years and I’ve decided I really want to participate in something and learn a new thing or two.(I’m still in the process of completing my profile, which I should have done within a few days.)

But back to the reason for this post: I desperately need to get back into a good, solid program. I starting lifting at 15 due to health issues, like a lot of young people, and it completely turned my life around. It led me into football and wrestling, which made me consume myself with lifting even more. When I finished my first year of college, I had some decent numbers for my size/height and I felt the best I ever had.

That’s when real life took over, work for the most part, and I had to stop until now. I feel week, really weak. I’m still the same size (5’ 9", 170-175ish lbs) when I was putting up my best lifts, but I’m nowhere near as strong as I used to be. Quite frankly, it sucks, and I don’t really know how to or what program to get myself into since all my old lifting was based off my wrestling coach’s program.

I know all about the basic compound movements, deads, squats, bench, military press, etc. etc., I just don’t have something to follow. Any advice/constructive criticism is surely welcome.

I hope to learn a lot being here, thanks for your time.[/quote]

For a beginner, I feel that I have no choice but to suggest that you buy the 531 ebook written by Jim Wendler as I believe many others will tell you.

All of training and training results have been the product of my own methods. I’ve come pretty far on my own. Most people probably can’t do that, but don’t ever hesitate to take a chance on yourself.

I’m also debating on whether to go with barbell training or bodyweight training. I’ve read that a lot of strength/powerlifting coaches wouldn’t let their athletes even touch an empty bar unless they’ve mastered their body weight.