Really? Shoulder Press Lagging

[quote]goochadamg wrote:

[quote]snipervirus1775 wrote:

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
Given your strength level, I’m not so sure there is any kind of a problem here. If you want to increase OHP faster, you’ll probably have to sacrifice some bench gains. I say just give it time. You’re not going to be able to add 5lbs a workout, or even a week, on OHP. It’s not realistic at all. You’re not a rank beginner. [/quote]

Not sure what you mean by my strength level or rank beginner. I just said I started strength training like a week ago. Please explain[/quote]

You stated in the first post that you’ve been lifting for 2 years. Gaining 5lbs/week on OHP is extremely fast progress, and something only someone very new to lifting is going to do. The lift is difficult to progress on, much more so than even bench press. I’ve been lifting for quite a while, and my best seated barbell press is “only” 185x12. It took me more than a few years of work to get there, and ultimately a substantial increase in bodyweight. Conversely, 185x12 bench press is something I hit in about 1.5 years of lifting.

Your shoulder press isn’t “lagging.” It’s ~70% of your bench press. That’s normal. And if you don’t want to take my word for it, Mark Rippetoe himself says it: “That gives you a press/bench press ratio of 0.67, or about 2/3 press to bench, a decent strength distribution”(Get Your Press Up!)

Your lifts are all proportional to each other, IMHO. I would say stay the course, and just give it time. I would try to add 5lbs every 2 or 3 weeks to the OHP. You may also try adding smaller weights week to week (2.5lbs) by using something like platemates or making your own 1.25lb weights with some chain; I’ve seen others have success doing this in the past.[/quote]

I just got some 1 1/4 lb weights just in case I need to work around not having to add +5 each workout, but should i still be putting as much effort, say I failed like i did last workout, and try again 2 more times till I reset. Should I still be doing that? What are your opinions? And I’ve never had that much problem with lifting that much weight about a year ago, that is why it is confusing me. Maybe because about 8 pounds of fat loss? Not sure but I am slowly increasing my caloric intake as well again.

I just got some 1 1/4 lb weights just in case I need to work around not having to add +5 each workout, but should i still be putting as much effort, say I failed like i did last workout, and try again 2 more times till I reset. Should I still be doing that? What are your opinions? And I’ve never had that much problem with lifting that much weight about a year ago, that is why it is confusing me. Maybe because about 8 pounds of fat loss? Not sure but I am slowly increasing my caloric intake as well again.
[/quote]

I don’t understand. Last time you failed to get 130 for 5 sets of 3, right? Try it again at the same weight and see what happens.

(Why are you doing 5 sets of 3?)

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t understand. Last time you failed to get 130 for 5 sets of 3, right? Try it again at the same weight and see what happens.

(Why are you doing 5 sets of 3?)
[/quote]

No, I failed to get 125 for 3x5 after starting at 115 2 weeks ago. Which, btw, 115 was easy as hell for me. From there I went to 120, got it just fine. Then tried 125 for the next workout and failed on the 2nd set, which, i wouldn’t expect to be failing already on the 2nd set, if anything, i should be failing near the beginning or end of the 3rd set.

I just got some 1 1/4 lb weights just in case I need to work around not having to add +5 each workout, but should i still be putting as much effort, say I failed like i did last workout, and try again 2 more times till I reset. Should I still be doing that? What are your opinions?
[/quote]

There’s a lot of ways to handle the progression. Here’s one:

Do 3x5, or the best you can, each workout. When you feel good, try to hit a 6th rep on the last set. When you can hit 2x5, and 1x6, on the next workout add 2.5lbs to all sets. You may not get 3x5 with the new weight, but you will eventually. Repeat for 6 months (heh). Keep putting in the effort; but don’t fail reps.

If you’re really stalling bad, you can move OHP to first in the workout. Could try adding some tricep accessory once a week: 3x10, do whatever exercise, just get it in.

And I’ve never had that much problem with lifting that much weight about a year ago, that is why it is confusing me. Maybe because about 8 pounds of fat loss? Not sure but I am slowly increasing my caloric intake as well again.
[/quote]

If you’re just getting back to OHP, then it makes sense you won’t do as much as a year ago when, presumably, you were doing them frequently. I really can’t say here. Is there a big disaparity, or are we talking like 5lbs? It can be helpful to look back through a log and see what worked, if you kept one.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:

I just got some 1 1/4 lb weights just in case I need to work around not having to add +5 each workout, but should i still be putting as much effort, say I failed like i did last workout, and try again 2 more times till I reset. Should I still be doing that? What are your opinions?
[/quote]

There’s a lot of ways to handle the progression. Here’s one:

Do 3x5, or the best you can, each workout. When you feel good, try to hit a 6th rep on the last set. When you can hit 2x5, and 1x6, on the next workout add 2.5lbs to all sets. You may not get 3x5 with the new weight, but you will eventually. Repeat for 6 months (heh). Keep putting in the effort; but don’t fail reps.

If you’re really stalling bad, you can move OHP to first in the workout. Could try adding some tricep accessory once a week: 3x10, do whatever exercise, just get it in.

And I’ve never had that much problem with lifting that much weight about a year ago, that is why it is confusing me. Maybe because about 8 pounds of fat loss? Not sure but I am slowly increasing my caloric intake as well again.
[/quote]

If you’re just getting back to OHP, then it makes sense you won’t do as much as a year ago when, presumably, you were doing them frequently. I really can’t say here. Is there a big disaparity, or are we talking like 5lbs? It can be helpful to look back through a log and see what worked, if you kept one. [/quote]

Thanks man I’ll give it a try. Monday I get to hit up the OHP again so we will test it out. Changing my grip to a little closer as well like I’ve done it in the past. It worked a lot better that way. My 1.25lb weights should be coming in on tuesday or so if I have that problem still I’ll take your advice and just work on it till it becomes better. I understand it takes time its just I shouldn’t be failing so early in the program.

Microload…I also find heavy front raises work as a good assistance movement for the press.

For what it’s worth my 5RM millitary press is like 55% of my 5RM for paused bench press, and although I realise this is worse than most peoples differences, there’s not much point worrying about it too much, everyone’s made differently and is better/worse at different lifts! Another thing, 5 reps on 120 is probably easier than 4 reps on 125 (if using: ((weight x reps) x 0.03333)) + weight). It’s the problem with using ‘light’ weights, each 5lb increase is a way bigger % increase than with heavier weights.

But just try get 5/4/4 next week, then 5/5/4 the week after, then 5/5/5 after that and then up the weight and repeat! Give yourself rep ranges then go up once you hit the top, rather than panicking if each week when you add weight you can’t hit your prescribed number of reps.

[quote]rusty92 wrote:
For what it’s worth my 5RM millitary press is like 55% of my 5RM for paused bench press, and although I realise this is worse than most peoples differences, there’s not much point worrying about it too much, everyone’s made differently and is better/worse at different lifts! Another thing, 5 reps on 120 is probably easier than 4 reps on 125 (if using: ((weight x reps) x 0.03333)) + weight). It’s the problem with using ‘light’ weights, each 5lb increase is a way bigger % increase than with heavier weights.

But just try get 5/4/4 next week, then 5/5/4 the week after, then 5/5/5 after that and then up the weight and repeat! Give yourself rep ranges then go up once you hit the top, rather than panicking if each week when you add weight you can’t hit your prescribed number of reps. [/quote]

Well, i reset at 115 on monday and i’m going for 120 next week, i will try what you have said in the future if I have problems. Another thing I did, which was an option, was buy 1 1/4 lb weights which are on standby as well if i do come to the point i’m at right now. Thanks for your preference, always down to try new things

OP, I had the same issue, I could rep a weight, but when I went 5-10lbs heavier I’d miss it. It was a technique issue. I’d lose tightness and start pressing out instead of up. Dick’s presses made the difference. They’ll set your traps on fire the first time you do them, but keep doing them. Start light, they’ll help you correct weaknesses and find your groove. It corrected my issue and I’ve added about 30lbs to my OHP this year.

^ not me BTW

“face pulls with a band and finishing with an overhead press.”

I Like the sound of that.