Really Need Some Advice

So i have been training close to 4 years. I have spun my wheels this whole time. I have done cut and bulk cycles and I just seem to have gotten nowhere. Im 22 years old 5’9 176-177. My goal was to cut down like 30-40 pounds. I have such little muscle mass on me and the only way I’m gonna look lean is if I lose a good chunk of weight.

However I can’t convince myself to do it. I ate in a deficit this whole week and today I just had like 5000 calories, which basically puts me at maintenance. I’m probably gonna stop tracking calories for a while and just focus on lifting as hard as I can and getting stronger. Eat quality foods when I’m hungry and just hope for the best. Tracking calories for this long has kicked my ass mentally. It led me to binge eat for a while.

Here are my best lifts
Bench 225x1
Squat 245x3
Barbell row 225x6
Deadlift 345x1

I don’t squat or deadlift because I tore my meniscus. So there is pain when I perform those movements. I do a push pull leg routine. One heavy day (3-4 reps) and one light day (8-12). If anyone has any advice or suggestions pls comment. I was hoping some experienced lifters or people who have been in similar situations give me some good advice. I really want to look good and have a good body otherwise I wouldn’t have made this thread and to seek advice. Thanks

Current pic attached taken just now.

Although you are not lean, you don’t have 30-40 lbs to cut. I would do what you said, focus on slowly recomping while eating real food in a slight surplus. Make sure you are getting adequate protein amounts of 150-200g per day, and good pre- , peri-, and post-workout nutrition. Eat meat, eggs, fruits, nuts, real veggies (corn and bread are not vegetables), and try to avoid processed foods, soy, seed oils, and excess sugar.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
Although you are not lean, you don’t have 30-40 lbs to cut. I would do what you said, focus on slowly recomping while eating real food in a slight surplus. Make sure you are getting adequate protein amounts of 150-200g per day, and good pre- , peri-, and post-workout nutrition. Eat meat, eggs, fruits, nuts, real veggies (corn and bread are not vegetables), and try to avoid processed foods, soy, seed oils, and excess sugar. [/quote]

This

And don’t stop counting calories, that’s a short cut to letting your diet get out of control quickly.

Also, consider getting your knees fixed. Squats and deadlifts may not be the be all and end all of weight training but they are very useful tools in your toolbox, it would be a shame to limit yourself if you can help it.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
Although you are not lean, you don’t have 30-40 lbs to cut. I would do what you said, focus on slowly recomping while eating real food in a slight surplus. Make sure you are getting adequate protein amounts of 150-200g per day, and good pre- , peri-, and post-workout nutrition. Eat meat, eggs, fruits, nuts, real veggies (corn and bread are not vegetables), and try to avoid processed foods, soy, seed oils, and excess sugar. [/quote]

I’m thinking of dropping carbs down to 120-150 grams and get the rest of my calories from protein/fats. I will be eating 2600 calories, which is a 100-200 calorie surplus. I will adjust my intake as time goes on. I don’t want to add much bodyweight really. I’m hoping in 6 months I actually look bigger/little leaner and then I can reevaluate myself and go from there. Thanks

[quote]dagill2 wrote:This

And don’t stop counting calories, that’s a short cut to letting your diet get out of control quickly.

Also, consider getting your knees fixed. Squats and deadlifts may not be the be all and end all of weight training but they are very useful tools in your toolbox, it would be a shame to limit yourself if you can help it.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I think I should be good to go on deadlifts and I think it’s time I add them back on my back days. Squats will take time. In the meantime I’m doing leg presses and leg extensions. There is some pain even when doing those. I will add squats back once the pain is gone.

I’m gonna take ur advice and track my calories and macros. Gonna experiment with a lowish carb, high protein/fat diet and see how my body responds.