Really Don't Know What is Wrong with Me....

Ok, didn’t know where to put this so I’m sure the mods will change it if they find something more suitable.

This is not a sob story, I’m not after sympathy, I’m just at my wits’ end and seeing if the many people with more knowledge than myself have to offer anything.

I am 20 years old, got into weights early last year and trained hard for good results and have been really enjoying it. I haven’t done anything complex, lifted heavy and eaten a lot of healthy food. However, Everything has just stopped, my physique is degenerating, I am gaining fat, losing muscle, feeling like shit (depressed, no motivation for my studies or social life) despite the fact that I have still been able to get myself up for a workout, and continue to pound out more reps/weight each week. I have also had recurrence of adolescent acne and I have an absolute zero tolerence for stress- I just stop. As well as my appetite decreasing while I continue to try and eat big to fuel my gym efforts. I want progress like nothing else, I do not intend to give up- but it is starting to mess with my head.

I am going to get some bloodwork and other tests done, as well as speak to my doctor, however i know there is a wealth of experience and knowledge on here that is terrific.

Really appreciate anyone who takes the time to offer any thoughts,
Thanks guys.

hey man, have you tried a new workout, like go to a sinlge body part a day if youve been doing an upper lower split, changing rep/ sets, i.e moving to 5x5’s?? sounds kindof like youve plateaud a bit and are bummed out about your acne and school. its ok, uni sucks sometimes , bad skin is never fun and feeling weak is well… weak. take 7 days off from the gym, focus on good food and good sleep, you will probably come back with a vengeance.

oh and maybe hit up some fat chicks.

teh ghey.

it’s here.

There’s nothing wrong with you bro. Life has ups and downs.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
teh ghey.

it’s here.[/quote]

Thanks man, gotta love mature helpful people eh.

[quote]micus wrote:
hey man, have you tried a new workout, like go to a sinlge body part a day if youve been doing an upper lower split, changing rep/ sets, i.e moving to 5x5’s?? sounds kindof like youve plateaud a bit and are bummed out about your acne and school. its ok, uni sucks sometimes , bad skin is never fun and feeling weak is well… weak. take 7 days off from the gym, focus on good food and good sleep, you will probably come back with a vengeance.

oh and maybe hit up some fat chicks.[/quote]

Thanks for the response man. Yeah earlier in the year I took a week off, changed my frequency and rep formations, Just not sure what the go is at the moment.

Cheers for the genuine reply though, appreciate it mate.

I would be more concerned with the depression thing. If you are still eating and sleeping well, but feel zero motivation for anything, then something is up. Figure out what is getting you down, once you deal with it then you will likely see progress in all aspects of your life.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
teh ghey.

it’s here.[/quote]

Your posts generally entertain and amuse me mate but you sure can be an immature cocksucker at times.

To the OP: I`m going to second what dianab said above. Depression is no laughing matter. It sounds like you might be dealing with this. Could be something else altogether, mind you…but I strongly encourage you to detail to your doctor the symptoms you described above.

Keep us posted, chin up and best of luck mate.

Sounds like overtraining to me.

Chalky, rest. Take a week off and chill. Eat, rest and repeat. During the week off, think about your goals, read up on training and related motivational material or maybe not, whatever works for you. Find another workout idea and then try it out when you get back. Find that hunger, that intense desire to conquer during that week off.

Also as diana said, find what’s up, crush it and find peace. Learn to let things slide if applicable.

Great quote

“Our greatest battles are that with our own minds.”
Jameson Frank

Good luck mate.

OP, this “might” be a hormonal thing. When talking to your doc, have him at least get bloodwork for the following:

TSH
Free T3
Free T4

Total Testosterone
Free Testosterone
Estradiol (ultra sensitive, if possible)
LH
FSH

This isn’t everything, but a good start if there’s something going haywire with your hormones. If you want to know more, take a look at the stickies in the “Over 35 Lifter” thread. More specifically, look for KSman’s posts in those stickies. Hell, you might even want to PM him.

Good luck.

What Heracles said sounds about right to me …

Glad that you already took the initiative to go consult a doctor about it. Good luck

This is fucking out there but a kid at work just went through what you are talking about and it ended up being celiac. Kid is allergic to gluten I guess and his body basically started to shutdown from lack of nutrient absorption. He “maned up” through similar symptoms until it started effecting his heart and then it took like 4,000,000 tests to figure out what was going on.

I’m not trying to freak you out here, other than reinforce see a professional man.

DISCLAIMER My “facts” could be wrong, this is just what the kid tells me.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
This is fucking out there but a kid at work just went through what you are talking about and it ended up being celiac. Kid is allergic to gluten I guess and his body basically started to shutdown from lack of nutrient absorption. He “maned up” through similar symptoms until it started effecting his heart and then it took like 4,000,000 tests to figure out what was going on.

I’m not trying to freak you out here, other than reinforce see a professional man.

DISCLAIMER My “facts” could be wrong, this is just what the kid tells me.[/quote]

Countingbeans, this is far from ‘out there’ (not that you’d have known it) but my mother is borderline celiac and my father is very similar and also cannot tolerate dairy.

I have considered this in the past but have just kept solidering on, but I definately think it will be wise to cut off all wheat in my carb sources. I eat minimal dairy as it is… (no fat yoghurt or low fat cottage cheese) but I do eat bread. Thanks for reminding me of something right in front of my nose dude.

I would agree with the week break plan. Do some fun stuff youve been wanting to do… take it easy and light hearted

[quote]Chalky09Aus wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

DISCLAIMER My “facts” could be wrong, this is just what the kid tells me.[/quote]

Countingbeans, this is far from ‘out there’ (not that you’d have known it) but my mother is borderline celiac and my father is very similar and also cannot tolerate dairy.

I have considered this in the past but have just kept solidering on, but I definately think it will be wise to cut off all wheat in my carb sources. I eat minimal dairy as it is… (no fat yoghurt or low fat cottage cheese) but I do eat bread. Thanks for reminding me of something right in front of my nose dude.[/quote]

Wow, I was just talking to him about this yesterday too. I guess everything happens for a reason.

Doc has him drinking this powder that looks like Yacc vomit, and he needs IV “shock” nutrient twice a week for like 6 months. Kid is in total shambles, but being pretty upbeat and mature about it. I was busting his balls about the heart problems until he found out what it is. Now I feel like a dick, but he laughs still.

Kid is doing better at 22 than I would if it was me. I mean I looked at the info and outside of no more pizza, Wendy’s or steak, egg & cheese subs, it isn’t horrible. You can live off of hamburger steak eggs chicken and broccoli dude. Plus non-dairy protein powders aren’t horrible expensive if you have a real job (old enough.)