Really Baffled: Starvation, Fat Storage, and Cortisol

Back in college all the cardio equipment was lined up in the middle of the gym. A couple rows of treadmills, a couple rows of ellipticals and one back row of stair machines. From the back row I could check out all the girls without having to fall off the equipment looking over my shoulder.

1 Like

Your actions matched your goal; well done

Wow, strong wordsā€¦ Although I do not know @Lonnie123 personally, he frequently has very good and insightful informationā€¦ definitely far from an idiot or dimwit. If you get butthurt over a simple (but funny) joke, especially after being such a jackass, youā€™re not going to last long on these forums. Please reference the reply from @SkyzykS a few days ago with the 4 likes (it deserved more).

3 Likes

If someone is doing exercise they donā€™t enjoy there is going to be a stress response because they are doing something they donā€™t want to be doing. If someone else is doing the same exercise and they love it there will be no stress response at all because they are having a great time.

So if you make a bunch of people walk 6 hours a day and they are being forced to do it and they donā€™t want to do it, there is going to be a stress response, maybe for six hours straight.

If people do exercise they enjoy, find relaxing and therapeutic, there isnā€™t going to be a stress response. But if someone is on the treadmill looking at the clock, counting down the minutes, wanting it to be over, they should probably pick some other form of exercise because what they are doing is creating a stress response.

If you havenā€™t already, you should check out Roberst Sapolskyā€™s books. He writes a lot about this stuff.

Do you think anyone enjoys heavy squats qnd deads?

1 Like

Is the base assumption that a stress response is negative? Thatā€™s probably important context for the upcoming internet argument.

1 Like

Iā€™d say that whether itā€™s eustress or distress, your body doesnā€™t distinguish the difference and the physiologically response is the same.

But Iā€™m also willing to be wrong.

2 Likes
2 Likes

All quality training has a stress responseā€¦ . Is the term adaptation a foreign concept!

1 Like

How dare you?

At least I didnā€™t blame my heart disease on too much exercise.

But believe me, I was [this] close. :grin:

That and too much fruit. :rofl:

1 Like

Just heavy deads.

1 Like

I do. Way more than light ones for reps, which suck.

1 Like

I think there are enough forced marches on record to show weight loss is possible in spite of stress or cortisol levels, so this isnā€™t the best argument.

1 Like

Ha! Nothing dropped weight faster, come to think of it!

Hiking in the mountains with a heavy backpack, 20km a day, remains one of the most efficient things Iā€™ve ever done for fat loss and I wasnā€™t even trying to lose weight. Attaining a surplus was just not in the cards.

1 Like

Iā€™m am shockedā€¦ that people use to actually get bigger stronger and lean without knowing the horror that is cortisol.:thinking:

3 Likes

Back then they knew to avoid Training on The Nerve so they didnā€™t have Nervous Breakdowns.

2 Likes

I never said weight loss wasnā€™t possible in spite of stress. Is it the most efficient way? That comes down to individual factors.

Itā€™s a fact that if you are doing something you donā€™t want to do you will have a stress response. I donā€™t see where this is controversial in any way. You can take blood samples all day and show this to be true.

People use stress as an excuse. It is not the reason people donā€™t lose weight, everything triggers a stress response. There is do, or do not.

1 Like