T Nation

Realistic Goals

Hello all, I was just looking for some quick answers regarding, well…everything.

First and foremost, some background information about myself is probably in order. I’m a beginner and very scrawny, at 5’8" and only 128 lbs. My diet was atrocious, I admit that, consisting of eating any food I could find and fluctuating between 1000-2100 calories a day. So sad now that I look back…
My current weights are 155 for benchpress, 185 squat, and 175 deadlift, all in pounds by the way. Unimpressive, I know, but beginners start somewhere…
I’ve been lifting for about four years incorrectly and about two months correctly. I always used to focus on “mirror muscles” but have turned a new leaf and now am doing the muscles you “can’t see”.

Anyways, now for my questions…

1. My goal is to at least hit 225 lbs in all of my three main lifts (for now). Realistically, how long should I expect it to take to reach my goal for each lift?
  2. I’m looking for some protein shake, but it’s all a bit confusing and overwhelming. Can anyone lead me towards a good one or a place where I can at least determine what is good or not?
  3. What’s the deal with milk? I hear that it’s both good and bad but I have no idea why. I’ve been chugging down gallons of it throughout my life, and I’m wondering if I should cut back or stop or something…
  4. And finally, is gaining 150 lbs from 128 lbs, in one year an unrealistic goal?

I’m determined to reach my goal and…well, I’m determined.

1. Aim to gain at least 10lbs on those three lifts each month by using a simple, easy to follow strength training regimen.

2. It honestly doesn’t matter very much as long as it is Whey Protein. Any of the ones from this website would be good. I get mine from Walmart =)

3. milk is fine unless you are lactose intolerant.

4. Going from 128lbs to 150lbs in one year is entirely realistic and would be a good thing to achieve. I personally would aim HIGHER, however…

That is great that you’re determined. Use that determination towards 100% consistency in a weight-gaining diet and a strength building workout routine.

Good luck friendo.

1. Squat/Deads 2-4 months, Bench 6-8 Months. (If you do everything right)

2. Whey? Look at the website you’re on right now for the quality stuff. Want it cheap? Go to costco.

3. Whole milk is good if your body is lactose tolerant. If not it is best to avoid dairy altogether. Milk is a very complete food source.

4. 22 pounds in one year is realistic.

Determination is good, couple it with patience and you’ll be great.

Dude you just said everything I already said. What is the matter with you?

1. Totally realistic. Aim for about ten pounds a month, which will give you about 2 or 4 months for squats, between 6 and 8 for bench, etc.

2. I would say use whey protein, but as to what it doesn’t really matter. (In all seriousness you can buy stuff here which is fine, but if you don’t have a whole lot of money there is plenty of quality stuff out there for cheap.)

3. If you’re lactose intolerant, milk is bad. Otherwise it’s good, if you can tolerate lactose.

4. It’s realistic to want to gain 22 pounds in one year.

Oh and stay determined and patient!

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Dude you just said everything I already said. What is the matter with you?[/quote]

Your post wasn’t visible when I replied.

“155 for benchpress, 185 squat, and 175 deadlift, all in pounds by the way. Unimpressive, I know,”

Sure sounds impressive to me for someone who weighs 128 lbs, let alone a beginner.

[quote]beeph wrote:
“155 for benchpress, 185 squat, and 175 deadlift, all in pounds by the way. Unimpressive, I know,”

Sure sounds impressive to me for someone who weighs 128 lbs, let alone a beginner.
[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking too, when I started I was 20lbs heavier and 1/2 as strong as him.

Many thanks to all those who responded, it was a great deal of help.

And just to clarify about my lifts, my deadlift and squat are pretty sloppy in form. Realistically my benchpress is probably my only accurate lift. my squat and deadlift are probably closer to 175 and 165, respectively.

Also like to point out again I’ve been lifting for 4 years, although I still consider myself a beginner, a pseudo-beginner if you will. Once again, many thanks for the helpful input. I shall update my progress later on!