Realistic Expectations?

[quote]DaTruth1 wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:
What numbers do you post in the OLifts and in the FS and BS Oly style? Not PL squat…how is your mobility?

If you fix your mobility, FS at least 160 then you should be able to do at least 85/110 with fairly poor and slow form…if you get better form that will creep up to at least 100/125.

I think with fairly good form you should be able to CJ your 5rep max front squat as a rough guideline, if you have crazy technique you can do about your 3RM.

There is a reason why Lu Xiaojun can FS 230 for an easy double a few days out of a competition…Klokov FS 250 WITH A 2-3second PAUSE. You have to be brutally strong to lift big weights once your technique is good. Your technique will limit you but after putting down a few hundred hrs with a coach your technique will improve a lot.

I think people should be able to Sn at least bw with within 2yrs. Seek a coach and get on training and don’t be so negative about things. You don’t need drugs to hit at least 100/120. Granted only about 3/4 people at most on here can Sn more then 120 in comp…it’s not huge but it’s not chump change from 100 to 120 on the Sn. Everyone that can Sn 120 can FS at least 155-160+.

GET ON IT! I want to see someone else lift big!

Koing[/quote]

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I have seen Koing talk a lot about pushing the FS.

I recently started weightlifting a couple months ago and I am really fucking weak (max FS 125, BS 145), average speed, but I am very flexible and have good balance. My PRs so far are 90/110. I start my workouts with main lifts (both, or just one), and then squat and do accessory work after. Since my squat is so weak, should I be doing front squats BEFORE main lifts? [/quote]

The Jonty knows me too well :slight_smile:

It’s not others, it’s only me and the lifters on The SYYYYYYSTEM that would advise you…

I would completely advise you to FS first.

1. Your techique must be pretty good to go 90/110 off FS 125 only. How much do you weigh? My little bro does 93/123 off a 145 FS, but he has recently added 155 to his FS so I’m guessing he is going to crush 95/125 very soon and probably more in all honesty. He only weighs 72kg though.
  2. Your FS is going to clearly limit you now. If you get more efficient you will do about 95/120. The fact is you will never really CJ more than 125 due to how strong you are now. If you push your FS up to 150 that will completely raise the ceiling of your lifts. When you can FS 200 that will have a real chance of making 145/175 :slight_smile:

I like people to FS first and do the lifts. The FS is the main driver in pushing up the lifts once technique is fairly consistent. Yes your lifts get the edge taken off them a bit, but you do rest 15mins after the FS triple. When you do a comp you will feel a lot fresher :smiley:

Whenever your FS doesn’t improve your lifts will shortly stagnate. When your FS increases it will push up the OLifts as well.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]DaTruth1 wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:
What numbers do you post in the OLifts and in the FS and BS Oly style? Not PL squat…how is your mobility?

If you fix your mobility, FS at least 160 then you should be able to do at least 85/110 with fairly poor and slow form…if you get better form that will creep up to at least 100/125.

I think with fairly good form you should be able to CJ your 5rep max front squat as a rough guideline, if you have crazy technique you can do about your 3RM.

There is a reason why Lu Xiaojun can FS 230 for an easy double a few days out of a competition…Klokov FS 250 WITH A 2-3second PAUSE. You have to be brutally strong to lift big weights once your technique is good. Your technique will limit you but after putting down a few hundred hrs with a coach your technique will improve a lot.

I think people should be able to Sn at least bw with within 2yrs. Seek a coach and get on training and don’t be so negative about things. You don’t need drugs to hit at least 100/120. Granted only about 3/4 people at most on here can Sn more then 120 in comp…it’s not huge but it’s not chump change from 100 to 120 on the Sn. Everyone that can Sn 120 can FS at least 155-160+.

Koing[/quote]

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I have seen Koing talk a lot about pushing the FS.

I recently started weightlifting a couple months ago and I am really fucking weak (max FS 125, BS 145), average speed, but I am very flexible and have good balance. My PRs so far are 90/110. I start my workouts with main lifts (both, or just one), and then squat and do accessory work after. Since my squat is so weak, should I be doing front squats BEFORE main lifts? [/quote]

It’s not others, it’s only me and the lifters on The SYYYYYYSTEM that would advise you…

1. Your techique must be pretty good to go 90/110 off FS 125 only. How much do you weigh? My little bro does 93/123 off a 145 FS, but he has recently added 155 to his FS so I’m guessing he is going to crush 95/125 very soon and probably more in all honesty. He only weighs 72kg though.
  2. Your FS is going to clearly limit you now. If you get more efficient you will do about 95/120. The fact is you will never really CJ more than 125 due to how strong you are now. If you push your FS up to 150 that will completely raise the ceiling of your lifts. When you can FS 200 that will have a real chance of making 145/175 :slight_smile:

I like people to FS first and do the lifts. The FS is the main driver in pushing up the lifts once technique is fairly consistent. Yes your lifts get the edge taken off them a bit, but you do rest 15mins after the FS triple. When you do a comp you will feel a lot fresher :smiley:

Whenever your FS doesn’t improve your lifts will shortly stagnate. When your FS increases it will push up the OLifts as well.

Koing[/quote]

I weigh about 85kg. Originally I did the movements by feel, but now I am trying to incorporate more queues to make my lifts more efficient. So my main goal this summer will be to increase my FS. Do you recommend doing FS first even if I am not doing the SYSTEM (sp?)?

here are some clips of my training so far (I am the chinese guy)
SN day: Training May 1 - YouTube
Hang snatches from the other day (80kg): Larry hang snatch - YouTube
CJ day: Training May 3 - YouTube

[quote]Koing wrote:
The Jonty knows me too well :)[/quote]

Even when I’m not posting lots I’m reading lots, and you’re fairly vocal about your opinions haha, both here and elsewhere.

[quote]Koing wrote:
[/quote]

Think that’s what I meant when I said “others”

[quote]DaTruth1 wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]DaTruth1 wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

Koing[/quote]

Koing[/quote]

I weigh about 85kg. Originally I did the movements by feel, but now I am trying to incorporate more queues to make my lifts more efficient. So my main goal this summer will be to increase my FS. Do you recommend doing FS first even if I am not doing the SYSTEM (sp?)?

[/quote]

I’m not one of the knowledgeable guys (i’m the noob who made this topic), but wow, you’re doing great. Your technique is literally undescribably better than mine, keep up the good work man

[quote]DaTruth1 wrote:
SYSTEM (sp?)?
[/quote]

Needs more Y’s. Also that 90kg snatch was a pressout.

Where do you train in Saskatchewan? I know they’ve got one or two pretty good lifters out there somewhere (one guy in particular comes to mind who hit 130/155 at junior nationals this year).

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:
The Jonty knows me too well :)[/quote]

Even when I’m not posting lots I’m reading lots, and you’re fairly vocal about your opinions haha, both here and elsewhere.

[quote]Koing wrote:
[/quote]

Think that’s what I meant when I said “others”[/quote]

haha :smiley:

FS!

Koing

[quote]DaTruth1 wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]DaTruth1 wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

Koing[/quote]

Koing[/quote]

[/quote]

Keep finishing the pull, you look a bit lazy and don’t look as if you really attack it. Attack it more. This is much more noticeable on your hang stuff. But in reality it’s you doing what you can. You need someone to tell you to attack it more and you will start to attack it more. I didn’t get this either. You need to watch some big lifters lift and see them pull the bar :slight_smile:

Keep the bar closer on the 2nd pull, you tend to jump forwards on your receive in the Sn and Cn.

110 looked like a tough squat, but your Jerk is strong :slight_smile:

You will definitely not squat up from 120 with a 125 FS. So yes you need to focus on that.

Yes FS first every session. People will think your crazy but give it a go mate. Your FS will go up, your lifts will be hurt a bit but it will recover and as long as your FS goes up THIS WILL PULL YOUR OLIFTS UP as well.

Get under it faster, your last hang sn you were faster under the bar.

Keep up the good work mate!

Dude with orange shoe looks pretty good. He doesn’t seem to get very deep on his recoveries but I guess he doesn’t have to ash is pull looks strong.

Koing

[quote]want2getlean wrote:
I’m not one of the knowledgeable guys (i’m the noob who made this topic), but wow, you’re doing great. Your technique is literally undescribably better than mine, keep up the good work man
[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment. As a guy who is pretty weak, I think that strength is a bit under-appreciated at the beginner’s level of weightlifting. Just because you can’t apply all your strength just yet, doesn’t mean it won’t be valuable when your technique improves.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Needs more Y’s. Also that 90kg snatch was a pressout.

Where do you train in Saskatchewan? I know they’ve got one or two pretty good lifters out there somewhere (one guy in particular comes to mind who hit 130/155 at junior nationals this year).[/quote]

Yes I am aware that was a pressout, although at the time it felt cleaner than it looked so I was very excited haha. I have hit 90kg legit on other occasions so it is my current PR.

I go to school in Saskatoon right now, so during the school year I train here. I’m done finals next week so I will be going back to my home in Regina for the remainder of the summer, and then come back up here for school in the fall. In Saskatoon I train between the school gym (seen in the videos) and Iron Works Gym (caters to power lifters, but has adequate oly lifting equipment).

Thanks for the tips. I am working on keeping the bar tighter in, and this has stopped me from jumping forward (I tend to jump back up to an inch now). Due to my finals schedule, I have been only training a couple times a week, so I have been going lighter on the main lifts, doing variations and working on technique and speed, while also trying to push my squats up since I have so long to recover between workouts. I will attempt PRs in full lifts in a week or so and see how those have helped.

The dude in the orange shoes has been lifting for a few years and is helping me learn the sport. He is the same weight as me, but a LOT stronger. Training with friends is definitely more enjoyable then training alone.

I don’t want to “highjack” this thread, but my question was sort of similar regarding expectations so I placed it in here.

I just recently started training for OL as well. I have a background in strength/powerlifting training but NONE in OL, so I pretty much started from scratch on the lifts. I’ve been with a USAW coach since the start, and completely recommend getting a qualified coach if you can.

I’ve been training 3 days a week. 2 days a week with my coach (scheduling conflicts) doing the lifts and variations, and a 3rd day on my own doing more general strength work (squats, RDL’s, overhead/Jerk related, some pulls) as I don’t have the correct equipment (OL bar, bumpers, platform) to do the lifts at home just yet. So it’s been only 2 months at 2 days a week working the actual lifts.

I would be a 105kg lifter. I started with about a 60-65kg snatch, and just nailed a solid 90kg yesterday. My CJ was about 90kg to start. I’ve cleaned 120kg, and CJ 110kg. right now I can FS 155kg raw, and 165kg with a belt. I can BS about 210kg with a belt right now (all time best is about 240kg).

I realize since the lifts are new, that my progress is similar to “newbie” gains, and I also realize that I will get out what I put in to it. However, I guess I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on how this progress looks, especially since it’s only been 2 months with limited access to coaching & equipment.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and sorry for the highjack.

[quote]ChesterCopperpot wrote:
I don’t want to “highjack” this thread, but my question was sort of similar regarding expectations so I placed it in here.

I just recently started training for OL as well. I have a background in strength/powerlifting training but NONE in OL, so I pretty much started from scratch on the lifts. I’ve been with a USAW coach since the start, and completely recommend getting a qualified coach if you can.

I’ve been training 3 days a week. 2 days a week with my coach (scheduling conflicts) doing the lifts and variations, and a 3rd day on my own doing more general strength work (squats, RDL’s, overhead/Jerk related, some pulls) as I don’t have the correct equipment (OL bar, bumpers, platform) to do the lifts at home just yet. So it’s been only 2 months at 2 days a week working the actual lifts.

I would be a 105kg lifter. I started with about a 60-65kg snatch, and just nailed a solid 90kg yesterday. My CJ was about 90kg to start. I’ve cleaned 120kg, and CJ 110kg. right now I can FS 155kg raw, and 165kg with a belt. I can BS about 210kg with a belt right now (all time best is about 240kg).

I realize since the lifts are new, that my progress is similar to “newbie” gains, and I also realize that I will get out what I put in to it. However, I guess I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on how this progress looks, especially since it’s only been 2 months with limited access to coaching & equipment.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and sorry for the highjack.

[/quote]

Strong gains mate!

A good rule to aim is 10-15kg per lift per year in the early years or even 20kg.

90/110 so far, nice. Aim for 100/120 by the end of this year. That is a rock solid start mate :slight_smile:

Koing