Real Life Super Hero in Seattle

While it’s great that, as he says, his crew has either military or “MMA” experience (whatever that means), the last thing we need is for this to become accepted to the point of being where it becomes some sort of national trend to run around looking for trouble.

There is no quality control for these people. Anyone who can buy a Halloween costume can start their own club and can compensate for their lack of physical prowess with more sophisticated weaponry… which is a dangerous move if they don’t have the necessary training and experience to handle themselves in violent situations.

Wearing a Kevlar vest under some chain mail might make these inexperienced “superheroes” feel invincible after a couple Jiu-Jitsu classes and give them a false sense of confidence to jump into altercations they either can’t properly diffuse themselves or even escalate various confrontations to lethal ends. Next thing they know, they are lying on the ground realizing that being punched in the nose hurts a hell of a lot more than Tobey Maguire or TRAINED fighters make it seem… or realizing that getting shot in the shoulder puts the Average Joe out of commission in a way that watching Rambo doesn’t really do justice to.

There’s also no accountability. If your homemade wolverine gloves accidentally shred someone’s liver, all you need to do is thank God you were wearing a mask and run away. Never mind the fact that you were only trying to grab hold of a fleeing shoplifter’s shirt collar.

Who knows? Next week this might catch the eyes of people who take more to Dexter than they do Spiderman.

I don’t have a problem with the general concept of what these people are doing - and I certainly don’t feel that the police should be the end all, be all of the public’s safety. I agree that people SHOULD be more proactive in ensuring the safety of their fellow man… I just dislike the fact that they feel the need to make a spectacle out of it with slick costumes and catchy nick names. Making this into a “cool” thing to do most always results in subpar talent joining the fray.

I would also bet these people do it more to feel cool than out of any sense of obligation to aid the “helpless”… else they’d maybe get into an actual career where they can CONSISTENTLY help others - albeit usually in a less dramatic fashion and without playing dress up - or otherwise involve themselves in society as positive examples in ways that don’t encourage unqualified people to stick their noses where they don’t belong.

[quote]Johnny T Frisk wrote:
Better than where I live. On my way to work yesterday I saw a guy walking around dressed like a fucking hobbit.[/quote]

How is that a bad thing? On my way to work, I see people in business casual attire. I’d fucking kill to see a hobbit or any other related middle earth creature.

[quote]anonym wrote:
While it’s great that, as he says, his crew has either military or “MMA” experience (whatever that means), the last thing we need is for this to become accepted to the point of being where it becomes some sort of national trend to run around looking for trouble.

There is no quality control for these people. Anyone who can buy a Halloween costume can start their own club and can compensate for their lack of physical prowess with more sophisticated weaponry… which is a dangerous move if they don’t have the necessary training and experience to handle themselves in violent situations.

Wearing a Kevlar vest under some chain mail might make these inexperienced “superheroes” feel invincible after a couple Jiu-Jitsu classes and give them a false sense of confidence to jump into altercations they either can’t properly diffuse themselves or even escalate various confrontations to lethal ends. Next thing they know, they are lying on the ground realizing that being punched in the nose hurts a hell of a lot more than Tobey Maguire or TRAINED fighters make it seem… or realizing that getting shot in the shoulder puts the Average Joe out of commission in a way that watching Rambo doesn’t really do justice to.

There’s also no accountability. If your homemade wolverine gloves accidentally shred someone’s liver, all you need to do is thank God you were wearing a mask and run away. Never mind the fact that you were only trying to grab hold of a fleeing shoplifter’s shirt collar.

Who knows? Next week this might catch the eyes of people who take more to Dexter than they do Spiderman.

I don’t have a problem with the general concept of what these people are doing - and I certainly don’t feel that the police should be the end all, be all of the public’s safety. I agree that people SHOULD be more proactive in ensuring the safety of their fellow man… I just dislike the fact that they feel the need to make a spectacle out of it with slick costumes and catchy nick names. Making this into a “cool” thing to do most always results in subpar talent joining the fray.

I would also bet these people do it more to feel cool than out of any sense of obligation to aid the “helpless”… else they’d maybe get into an actual career where they can CONSISTENTLY help others - albeit usually in a less dramatic fashion and without playing dress up - or otherwise involve themselves in society as positive examples in ways that don’t encourage unqualified people to stick their noses where they don’t belong.[/quote]

Sounds like someone’s pro-Registration.

Fuck you, Cap was right.

[quote]Vash wrote:

Fuck you, Cap was right.[/quote]

I’d give you internetz for such an awesome comment (and reference), but I’m all out.

anonym = ironman?

(marvel civil war reference)

its only a matter of time when we’ll get “supervillains” guys who don bulletproof and stab proof armor to steal cars and shit… i mean look at the impersonators we have today that have a police uniform and break into houses…

[quote]Vinnie85 wrote:
anonym = ironman?

(marvel civil war reference)

its only a matter of time when we’ll get “supervillains” guys who don bulletproof and stab proof armor to steal cars and shit… i mean look at the impersonators we have today that have a police uniform and break into houses… [/quote]

You mean like guys in full body armor with high powered assault rifles using armor piercing rounds? Yea, I’m sure now that we have superheroes, some criminals might actually think to do that. Oh Wait…

V

In seriousness, I do like the idea Dragonfly Jones . . . er . . . Phoenix Jones is expressing, the freedom from fear of criminals.

IF he and his associates function as more of a visible neighborhood watch, then it could pan out well.

Conversely, if they attempt to intervene in an already violent situation with anything more than de-escalation (and that’s presuming the “hero” has sufficient negotiator training), then things could get bad fast.

As far as the “escalation” to super-villainy, I doubt it. If the heroes work as watchmen, they are being visible on purpose. Crooks, 'bangers, and the like have a certain level of anonymity.

it sounds like he just walks around and happens upon stuff and actually does something rather then walking by… that, I can get down with…

Dentist X - in bodyarmor and a dentists mask with a drill… could work, hell, he already has the the X-jet

prof x can trick out his mustang like in kickass (he did get the mustang right?)

I want to see him and his whole ‘super hero’ group all together… Like a grown up version of Coon and Friends

[quote]Vash wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

I would also bet these people do it more to feel cool than out of any sense of obligation to aid the “helpless”… else they’d maybe get into an actual career where they can CONSISTENTLY help others - albeit usually in a less dramatic fashion and without playing dress up - or otherwise involve themselves in society as positive examples in ways that don’t encourage unqualified people to stick their noses where they don’t belong.[/quote]

Fuck you, Cap was right.[/quote]

You are now my hero for that reference.

[quote]gregron wrote:
I want to see him and his whole ‘super hero’ group all together… Like a grown up version of Coon and Friends [/quote]

Except that 2 people from Coon and friends actually have powers.

[quote]gregron wrote:
I want to see him and his whole ‘super hero’ group all together… Like a grown up version of Coon and Friends [/quote]

hahaha that is all i could think about when i watched the video

[quote]gregron wrote:

hahaha that is all i could think about when i watched the video

Apparently there are more of these people, all across the country. Interesting idea I must say.

^a pro registry website? Screw that.

Holy hell there is one in Arkansas…I need to take a road trip