Real Batpod, Tron Light Cycle

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
I saw this technology on some linear drive systems that a friend of mine works with similar to a rail gun.

I wonder if you could configure that mounted on a ring (rim) to create a bike propelled by electromagnetic force at speeds similar to a rail gun by having the projectile fixed to the frame and the rails on the rim turning about an axle.

That would be a real screamer. (the bike would be close to silent, but the person on it would be going a couple thousand feet per second.)
[/quote]

What the fuck did you just say?[/quote]

I don’t know, but I will elaborate.

one of these- Linear motor - Wikipedia mounted to the inner circumference of a rim. Linear drive applied to an infinite (round) track. But instead of a trolley moving on it, the trolley would be fixed to the frame and the track (rim) would move.

Like this- Linear Motor Positioning Stage - SRS-024-04-100-X - YouTube only round.

Any science fiction or engineering types out there want to jump in? Maybe we can invent a T-Nation/tron super bike for Professor X and have Wormwood test drive it.
[/quote]

Thanks for elaborating, you know your shit.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
It bet it makes turns for shit though. No point in riding a bike that can’t turn right or left.[/quote]
You call making 90 degree turns in an instant shit?!?!?! Fuck there really is no pleasing you is there?
[/quote]

i guffaw’d

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
It bet it makes turns for shit though. No point in riding a bike that can’t turn right or left.[/quote]
You call making 90 degree turns in an instant shit?!?!?! Fuck there really is no pleasing you is there?
[/quote]

I’m picky. Sue me.

I prefer ACUTE ANGLES in an instant.

LOL at “90 degree turns”. That is soooooo 80’s.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
I saw this technology on some linear drive systems that a friend of mine works with similar to a rail gun.

I wonder if you could configure that mounted on a ring (rim) to create a bike propelled by electromagnetic force at speeds similar to a rail gun by having the projectile fixed to the frame and the rails on the rim turning about an axle.

That would be a real screamer. (the bike would be close to silent, but the person on it would be going a couple thousand feet per second.)
[/quote]

only problem with that is unless you have an iron man arc reactor around it’ll go for about 8 seconds. Thats why the only time you see rail guns is around test labs (with a very large building of batteries near by) or on destroyer class ships with an entire floor dedicated to the battery tech.

The next real advancement for science will be a new way of storing / producing energy more effeciently in small things / generating it on a micro/nano level to power macro things…

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]
You know that is a truly phenominal idea.

If you came up with this yourself, I might even go so far as to call it true genius.

All you’d need is for a section of the wheel rim to be magnetised or electromagnetised, with the accelerator coils built into the hub.

Personally I think this bike should have been powered by the APU from a jet turbine or similar.

It’s a small jet turbine in its own right, produces about 80bhp and comes with a gear reduced shaft output. Would make a phenominal sound, like the one batman uses in The Dark Knight.

BBB[/quote]

they do “rimless wheels” on some bikes already. we did a human powered bike for time trails 5 years ago and did a rimless wheel. it had a planatery gear built into the inside of the “rim” with nothing in the center. A creative use of fairings hid the gears and made it look like the rim / tire was floating. They use this in concept bikes all the time and occassional have tried it on cars because it requires less mechanical parts.

The magnetism is a neat idea and if you paid attention to the “IRobot” movie I believe that is how they intended for Will Smiths Audi to be propelled. It was a round ball with (what in my mind was a magnet spaced on the ball). Putting an simmiliar charged magnet (repel) in the fender would (if the magnets where strong enough) levitate the car. If we then used the fender magnets like they do on high speed bullet trains the net affect would be propulsion. I would love to do a research project on that but man would that be a delicate balance of computer controls and materials science to make soemthing truely unique.

pic of a “rimless” motorcycle… there a bunch out there if you want one…

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]
You know that is a truly phenominal idea.

If you came up with this yourself, I might even go so far as to call it true genius.

All you’d need is for a section of the wheel rim to be magnetised or electromagnetised, with the accelerator coils built into the hub.

Personally I think this bike should have been powered by the APU from a jet turbine or similar.

It’s a small jet turbine in its own right, produces about 80bhp and comes with a gear reduced shaft output. Would make a phenominal sound, like the one batman uses in The Dark Knight.

BBB[/quote]

Not entirely my own, but thank you. More like a synthesis. I used to work with gear driven robotic positioning and orbital welding systems.

One of the systems runs on a flex track which attaches to the outer circumference of large pipe, then the trolley rides around it with a welding gun and a pendulum weaver stitching the pipes together.

A buddy of mine introduced me to the linear drive systems at an electro-mech manufacturer that he works for, where I got a gander at the technology they employ for precision and/or high speed multi axis positioning and actuators.

So with the sci-fi type bike there came the synthesis of those technologies. Poof! An idea!

Now we need a power supply that doesn’t require a building to store or a nuclear reactor to keep it charged.