Ready to Give Up

Hey all, I need help I’ve been trying to “train” a freind of mine. I just don’t get it his body will not progress, he’s been working out for a couple of years and asked me for help. We’re about the same size I’m 20lbs heavier than him. his bench is stuck at at about 300lbs, but he does sets with 275. squat is about 315lbs and deadlift is about 365lbs. his diet is high in protien and to high in carbs.

his stats are 34y/o 6’2" 250lbs he has muscle but it just seems weak for his size and with the intensity of our workouts. I’ve tried doing different variations of high volume low weight to doing sub sets with damn near max weight trying to get his power up. we’ve tried speed work to slow-slow negatives and then I was pissed for a couple of weeks and we did burnouts after our main (compound)workout were we lifted till we could not move, nothing seems to work. I just had never saw or heard of somebody who wants to increase get there body, their hole body stuck. he also had taken so time out of the gym to recuperate. HELP ME, HELP HIM.

[quote]beastblob wrote:
Hey all, I need help I’ve been trying to “train” a freind of mine. I just don’t get it his body will not progress, he’s been working out for a couple of years and asked me for help. We’re about the same size I’m 20lbs heavier than him. his bench is stuck at at about 300lbs, but he does sets with 275. squat is about 315lbs and deadlift is about 365lbs. his diet is high in protien and to high in carbs.

his stats are 34y/o 6’2" 250lbs he has muscle but it just seems weak for his size and with the intensity of our workouts. I’ve tried doing different variations of high volume low weight to doing sub sets with damn near max weight trying to get his power up. we’ve tried speed work to slow-slow negatives and then I was pissed for a couple of weeks and we did burnouts after our main (compound)workout were we lifted till we could not move, nothing seems to work. I just had never saw or heard of somebody who wants to increase get there body, their hole body stuck. he also had taken so time out of the gym to recuperate. HELP ME, HELP HIM.[/quote]

I know you had posted here some of the stuff you were doing, but could you possibly get into a little more of the specifics? How long have you been working out together? What is the current split you use?

I know for one in my experience that total body 3x per week is GREAT for strength gains; I saw my best strength gains come from compound lifts using bench (variations), squat, deadlifts (variations), and clean (from hang), and pull ups/chin ups (weighted) as the main lifts.

What are your guys’ goals? More size or more strength? Hope I can help. Take care.

Rest maybe? The body knows what it needs, just pay attention.

What does it mena to “increase” your body? You never stated the goals… chances are, whatever it is, he’s not eating enough.

That is a prety big dude. If there isn’t any physical conditioning reason why he isn’t progressing, maybe it’s psychological.

If you think you can, you have a much better chance than if you don’t.

It’s worth examining.

How’s his diet? He’s pretty big and he’ll alot of fuel. It’s not hard to get of track. If he isn’t progessing and getting a little bummed out it’s even easier to skip meals, say fuck it and grab some crap food.

He is 34 his test levels could be declining. If that is the case and you are putting him through ultra intense burnout workout sessions it may be too much. Plus what is his outside rest like? Does he sleep optimally every night? If not this can work against the gym work you are doing. Is his nutrition nails? You get the picture.

If you are going to make strength and muscle gains thirty and beyond you have to ensure all bases for an anabolic state are covered. He is a tall guy and that can make it harder for big strength gains in some lifts.

If not already look into Alpha Male to enhance test levels and make sure his nutrition and rest are nails. Surge should be looked at as well for post workout recovery.

D

have him take 4 weeks off benching and bring up his shoulders and triceps while sleeping alot and eating alot have him take a week off to start with that will usualy do the trick

I’d second getting the bloodwork done and getting a baseline for all the important “aging male” markers.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
have him take 4 weeks off benching and bring up his shoulders and triceps while sleeping alot and eating alot have him take a week off to start with that will usualy do the trick [/quote]

That’s the smartest thing I’ve read from you n3wb. Dude, punctuation is your friend. You’re a big boy. Use it.

[quote]beastblob wrote:
his bench is stuck at at about 300lbs, but he does sets with 275. [/quote]

Negatives and forced reps with weight that is more than I can max have helped me. It helps get me used to handling that weight which I am not used to. Heavy weighted dips I have found to be beneficial too. 300lbs is a big number for a lot of people on bench and if he has been stuck there for a while it could be a mental thing too (not saying your friend is crazy) and he might be lacking desire at this point. Whatever your method for getting him through his plateau make sure he is ready and excited to get under that bar and push some weight.

[quote]wilpwr wrote:
Negatives and forced reps with weight that is more than I can max have helped me. It helps get me used to handling that weight which I am not used to. Heavy weighted dips I have found to be beneficial too. 300lbs is a big number for a lot of people on bench and if he has been stuck there for a while it could be a mental thing too (not saying your friend is crazy) [/quote]

Oh no, he’s crazy! we have tried heavy negatives and forced reps. It probably is mental.

Do some serious looking at the big three… work, nutrition and recovery.

Try a real program instead of just picking this and that? Can’t be sure from your description, but it sounds pretty haphazard.

Keep an accurate food log and compare it to what someone at his size and activity level needs to gain mass.

Look into sleeping patterns and the general sress levels of this person.

He asked for my help about 7mounths ago

Well, our body split is…
d1)chest/biceps
D2)back/triceps
D3)legs
D4)shoulder/traps

compounds are done(usualy I’ve been trying new stuff with him)4x6
secondary lifts are 3x8

chest/biceps:
heavy bench 4x6
incline(switching off between db and bb)
flys
cable cross over upper and lower
heavy preacher curls
seated hammer curls
reverse grip curls

Back/triceps
deadlift
good mornings
latpull
seated(not cheast supported)rows
single arm rows
push downs
close grip decline press
single arm scull crushers
dips

legs:
squat (most times box) his squat style sucked it was like he was going a 1/4 of the way down.
stiff leg deadlift with toes on 10lbs plate
hack sqaut
leg press
leg curls (no glute/ham machine)
calf work

Shoulders/Traps:
military press or push press
lateral raises front and side
band work (prehab)
upright rows(I hate these)
power or hang cleans
heavy bb shrugs
db shrugs

He’s wanting to get stronger his(and mine) plan is to get close to me so that we both have a capable lifting partner.

my stats are:
31 y/o 6’4" 270lbs 19% bodyfat :frowning: (I’m working on it).
Bench 405lbs for 3
squat 565 parellel for one
deadlift 585 for one really slow one
shrug 675 (not a powerlift but I’m proud of it). he would like to get close and I would like to help him.

If his weight hasn’t increased at all, how much stronger do you expect him to get?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
If his weight hasn’t increased at all, how much stronger do you expect him to get?[/quote]

after helping him clean up his technique (it sucked)it increased some but he’s getting agrevated. We were hoping to get at least another 25-30lbs out of him in about a year. but in 7 mnoths we got around 10lbs.

My guess is his diet.
He might not be getting enough cals to progress. Im 6’1 at 255 and i know i need about 5k to gain. Have him do a food log to see if he is measuring up.