T Nation

Ready to Get Serious

After two months of regular training…it’s time to get serious. Here’s the program I will follow for the next 6 weeks:

Mon:
Mandatory:
Squats x5
RDLs x5
Bulgarian Split Squats x3
Overhead Press x5

Optional:
Decline DB tricep extension x3
EZ-bar curls x3
Chin-ups x3
Farmer’s walk x2

Wed:

Mandatory:
Squats x5
RDLs x5
Lunges x3
Bench press x5

Optional:
Cable triceps extension x3
Hammer curl x3
Chin-ups x3
Shrugs x2

Sat:

Mandatory:
Squats x5
RDLs x5
Leg curls x3
Overhead Press x5

Optional:
Weighted Dips x3
Zottman curl x3
Chin-ups x3
Reverse curl x2

Intending to update regularly

Today was supposed to be day one of 18, but I’ve caught the flu. Can’t wait till I’m over this!

Your split looks very unbalanced. If you can only to 3 days a week try a push, pull, legs split.

thanks for the suggestion jtownlax, you might be right, but I’m going to stick with this program for now.

Had a great workout yesterday…finally, after a week of being sick and a week of being home for thanksgiving. The only thing is I was only able to do 3 sets of deadlifts due to my grip. I’ll take chalk next time.

Workout #2 went really well last night. I’ll post pics after #18. I used chalk so I was able to do 5 sets of RDLs, but my grip was dead afterwards and I wasn’t able to do many dumbell lunges and bench presses. Next time I’ll do lunges as the very first exercise–As far as the bench goes, I’m hoping my wrist and forearms are getting stronger so I won’t be limited next week. I’m getting more used to RDLs, but it’s still more of a grip and upper body workout than legs. Next workout I’ll do regular deadlifts, just for variation

Hope I’ll have the determination to get some workouts in despite finals week. I’ll keep updating.

What I can do is alternate my sets of deadlifts with bench press

Workout #3 went well last night…hmm anything notable? Oh, my left quad/hip felt a little tight awkward and it started digging into my back. but I stretched it out after squats and felt better. again, proud of myself for completing a challenging workout amidst finals

Workout #4 almost did not happen tonight due to intense back pain/tightness I’ve been having. But I did some yoga this morning and stretches before my workout and made it happen. Really proud of myself. I skipped out on deadlifts, though, just to keep my back safe. Probably won’t get another workout in until after finals.

Done with my exams. I can get back to training now.

Going to switch it up

Day 1:
Mandatory:
Goblet Squats x5
Bulgarian Split Squats x3
RDLs x3
Overhead Press x3

Optional:
Decline DB tricep extension x3
Weighted Dips x3
EZ-bar curls x3
Chin-ups x3
Dumbbell front/lateral raises x3
Farmer’s walk x2

Day 2:
Mandatory:
Skater squats x3
Single Leg Squats on Platform x3
Lunges x3
Bench press x3

Optional:
Weighted Dips x3
Hammer curl x3
Chin-ups x3
Kroc rows x3
Shrugs x2

Day 3:
Mandatory:
Eccentric Squats x5
RDLs x3
Skater squats x3
Overhead Press x3

Optional:
Weighted Dips x3
Zottman curl x3
Rack pulls x3
Chin-ups x3
Dumbbell front/lateral raises x3
Reverse curl x2

Not happy with my progress. Went to the gym last night but it was closed–winter break hours have already started. Went to the gym this morning, but I had no energy and my back/hips were really tight. I ended up stretching for an hour, buying food, coming back to the gym. I did some goblet squats, but then decided to just head back home.

The most important thing I can do now is to not be discouraged and to not try to change the details of my training/ nutrition regime to accommodate. I’m going to stick with the plan as is, no changes! If I change things too much it will lead to no progress. I’m going to let my body recover from finals, drink a lot of water, and yoga, and keep my confidence. I’ll also allow the veggies to creep back into my diet now that I have time to cook and try to stay away from the caffeine.

I’m actually feeling so much better today after sleeping 12 hours. I just needed a good rest!

Had a great workout today after a long vacation. I hope that never happens again. The holidays happened. I also got a painful staph infection in my left arm and couldn’t move it.

I’ve learned the difference between active mobility versus stretching, thanks to posters on this site. I think it really made a difference for me today. I have been having trouble with groin and quad pain on my left side after squats. Today I did have a little groin pain, but it wasn’t that bad. I did some mobility drills within the set to help it out. Still hoping to get a video of my squat if my buddy comes into the gym with me next time.

Before today I have been doing Bulgarian split squats with my back foot sole down. I flipped it over and this feels much better. I only did a single set with light weights–just to focus on my form.

What’s also exciting is that I felt my glutes working during RDLS today. Of course, I was using chalk. Perhaps it was the mobility drills which helped with this. I hope that as my upperbody and lower back get stronger this will become a good glute exercise for me.

Here’s what I did today:

Squat x5
Bulgarian Split Squat (just working on technique)
RDL x4

Seated Plate raise x3
Seated Lateral raise x3
Seated Clean and press x3 (Shoulder are my weakness, glad I’m going these)
(Next time I might do the above three exercises later in the game so my shoulders won’t limit me in the triceps extension and chest rope pulls)

Chin-ups x2 Pull-downs x1
EZ-bar curls x3
Chest rope pulls x3

Ok, so I have no problem with breaking the rules. There’s so much advice out there that at the end of the day you have to just try things and figure out what works for you.

I’m going with the Broz method of training daily. I’ll try to get five days in this week and five days in next week. Because I’m a beginner and I don’t have a couch I know that I’m not training to my max and that I’m definitely not overtraining. I was hella sore today during my workout, but I pushed through. Really proud of myself.

I definitely need to learn how to do deadlifts. I have good form for RDLs, but today I strained my back a bit while doing deadlifts. Luckily it went away after some time and mobility drills. I’m also not sure if I’m doing face pulls correctly. Need to check out some youtube vids.

Lunges were really tough because they came after squat and I didn’t do very much weight, but hey. It’s ok.

Here’s what I did:

Squats x3
Barbell Lunges x3
Deadlifts x3
Bench press x3

Weighted Dips x3
Kneeling pulldowns
x3
Face pulls x3

EZ-bar curls x3
Farmer’s walk x2

Tomorrow’s a big day! Day 3. I know I’m going to be even more sore than I was today. So what if I don’t gain muscle mass during this time period. At least I’ll be getting stronger and improving my technique, so that when school starts I’ll be able to do quicker, more fluid, more effective workouts.

You should probably keep track of the weights you used.

CS

Last night:
squats x5
rdls x4
rack pull (focus on technique)

decline curl x3
shrugs x2
chin-ups x3
weighted dips x3
face pulls x3
1 arm cable row x3

didn’t have time for core work today

Day 4 went well Day 5 I took rest. I’m squatting around 210 for the last two sets. Focusing on good technique rather than increasing the weight right now.

Pulled my groin slightly while squatting. I watched the so you think you can squat series…thank goodness I saw it before I injured myself even more. My squat form is really bad, the place that I break is that my knees come in. Ok, so I’m going to avoid squatting maybe just practice with the bar this week. I’m going to start doing the accessory exercises that the dude in the video, forget his name, recommended.

I guess this will be a chance for me to let go of my ego and do some real upper body work. I tend to train lower body pretty well but do a quicker job on the upper because of how many issues I have. A tight upper back. Weak shoulders. No excuses!

I miss squatting so much :frowning:
Did some upper body work today

but maybe i’ll fall in love with rdls and good mornings this week

Doing goodmornings and machines for legs for now. Rolling on LAX balls regularly. It feels great afterward, but gets really tight afterward. Hopefully I’ll see an improvement long term. I also need to continue experimenting rolling out different parts.