T Nation

Ready to Get In Shape

I've been reading T-Nation for a year or so but just joined today. Ready to get in shape. A lot of you probably share my story...sports kept me in shape during high school and PT kept me in shape while in the military. Got out and sat on the couch for the last 5 years. Now I'm a fat bastard. I still have a copy of my PT routine that I'm going to start doing.

It'll probably take me a good year to get back to the level I was on but I have to do something. My Dad just had heart surgery so that put a scare into me that I need to start taking care of myself now while I'm still only 28. The benefits will come in handy when I'm in my 50's. And ass, I don't pull the kind of ass I use to. Miss having grade A tush. Anyways, I'll be around. Later

Good stuff man..... way to get yourself up and going. What steps are you taking to get yourself in better shape?
Have you picked out a good training program to get yourself rolling?
Have you worked at all on your nutrition? (most beginners just start training first, but nutrition is the most important part. Make sure to get that worked out asap.)

Also check out the beginners thread, there's a lot of useful stuff on there to help you out.
Any specific things you need help on just ask away...
Good luck man.

-MD

Just wanted to applaud your decision to get back in the game. There is nothing worse then letting your physical shape go into the toilet and nothing better then regaining or achieving for the first time a high level of fitness and health.

You are indeed correct that now is the time to get your ass in good health habits to ward off preventable illnesses that are prevalent in your next ten to twenty years of life. If I can be of any help shoot me a PM.

Best of luck,

D

Below is the plan that I did while in the military. I was told I was overtraining then and I'm sure I'll be told the same now but I guess my genes are awesome. I'm planning on starting slow since I haven't moved in awhile and build up to this level in a year or so. The plan is:

1 on/off

4x7/5/3/1
Squats
4-5x7
Straight leg deadlifts
4-5x7
Standing calf raises
3x25
Decline sit-ups, with weight
3x15
Hanging leg raises, straight, with weight

4x7/5/3/1
Bench presses
4-5x7
Decline close grip presses
4-5x7
Barbell curls

4x7/5/3/1
Deadlifts
4-5x7
Bent over rows

4-5x7
Push presses
4-5x7
Shrugs

20x20
Push-ups - alternate -
5x25/50/75/100 yds
Interval running

5x35
Push-ups
4x40
Bent leg crunches
3x30
Dips
4x30
Stomach flutter kicks
3x15
Hanging leg raises, right/left
3x15
Hanging leg raises, straight
3x15
8-count body builders
3x20
Trunk rotations
3x15
Wave-offs
3x20
Lunges
3x30
Squat jumps
4x15
Standard pull-ups
4x15
Wide grip pull-ups
4x15
Side-to-side pull-ups

Eat protein/fat/vegetables/fruit and one free meal every other training day
Consume a post-training nutrition drink
Drink six bottles of water daily
Rest nine hours nightly
R/R means rest and recuperation

Each of the groups are performed on a different day? You do 1 day on, one day off? Just want to clarify.

I'm sure people will critique in more detail, but the only thing I will comment on is the deadlift/row day. I don't think you should be doing bent over rows on the same day as deadlifts, as you might be taxing you lower back too much. But maybe this is where your awesome genetics come into play :slight_smile:

Post progress pics in 6 months, OK?

What I posted above is the final phase. I've posted the whole program under "Painful Program" in the Building a Better Body forum.