Ready to Begin!

Hi folks, I don’t know how or where begin…

I’m ready to begin, I will ONLY workout at home, here are my tools.

A Trikke T-8

A lame 2nd,3rd or 4th hand Elliptical

A FLAT bench with dumbbells 2x 10lbs,15,35,50 and 65’s

I will be 41 this august, and am on TRT (two patches a day).
6’ 4" 264lbs

I need a plan.

It’s time to get right!!

Reposted in new thread due to few responses.

get a 300 pound olympic set. It will do the job.

Awesome! It’s great that you’re finally willing to ask questions and make progress.

First, why only work out at home? If it’s serious, then Zeps advice is gold. A 300lb Olympic set should be enough.

What’s a Trikke T-8?

As far as getting a plan, I’d advise reading through Vroom’s stickie at the top of the Beginner’s forum. Click ‘beginner’ at the top of this page (which’ll take you to the beginner’s forum) and then it should be the third thread down. It’ll have a bunch of basic information, along with links to a number of articles related to diet and exercise routines. Pick one of each you think you can do, and post on here your decision.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, um short term goals (goals what are those??)well mowing the grass seems to give me microstrokes (aching from shoulder to should, not too easy to breath).

So cardio is a must before I start straining with everything else.

Just seeking a plan working with the tools I have at home (I have started using the elliptical 30 min every other day, and today im doing some light 15lbs freeweight work Bi’s n Tri’s mostly).

Long term goals (those damn goals again!) errrr going to the beach without embarrassment, being an example to my wife 34 5’1" 235lbs (is sleeping NOW for no reason!)

Olympic set?!?!?!??? are you MAD?!?!?!?
I asked for input with the tools I said I have, maybe that was too much of a challenge for you gurus…(wankers lol)

Baby steps, plz read my first post before offering “help”.

The angry monkey in my closet made me write this (the a$$hole)

Well if you really need to start it off that slow, I’d suggest finding time every day to go for a walk. You might have to get up a little earlier in the morning, but make sure you’re doing something every single day.

Maybe post your current diet and someone can give you advice on that as well.

Going for a walk is an essential first step. The most important component of any fitness program is strength. Strength training will improve all other fitness components to some extent. The trouble is, you don’t have the equipment to take strength training very far.

You can start with pushups, situps, bodyweight squats, chinups and inverted rows. You can use the dumbbells to add resistance to make the exercises progressively harder. You can do 1 armed rows and presses. 65# dumbbells will work for a while. carrying 2 dumbbells while you walk will strengthen you all over if you make them heavy enough. You can put your trikke and elliptical machine in a wheelbarrow and carry them around the yard.

There’s lots you can do. Start slow and with light weights. Progressively increase the intensity and work load. You will get stronger. Getting stronger will help with endurance and cardio as well. Working on endurance and cardio will not get you strong though.

Most important, if you’re 6’4" and don’t currently work out, you’re probably fat and need to start eating right. Read the stickies, especially the 7 habits article by Berardi.

Stu

[quote]Steve8867 wrote:
Thanks guys, um short term goals (goals what are those??)well mowing the grass seems to give me microstrokes (aching from shoulder to should, not too easy to breath).

So cardio is a must before I start straining with everything else.

Just seeking a plan working with the tools I have at home (I have started using the elliptical 30 min every other day, and today im doing some light 15lbs freeweight work Bi’s n Tri’s mostly).

Long term goals (those damn goals again!) errrr going to the beach without embarrassment, being an example to my wife 34 5’1" 235lbs (is sleeping NOW for no reason!)

Olympic set?!?!?!??? are you MAD?!?!?!?
I asked for input with the tools I said I have, maybe that was too much of a challenge for you gurus…(wankers lol)

Baby steps, plz read my first post before offering “help”.

The angry monkey in my closet made me write this (the a$$hole)
[/quote]

It’s just a freaking bar and weights… It’ll probably only run you 150$. After that, the sky is the limit.

don’t skip shoulders,legs, and back. even with what you have you can hit them.

Following are all exercises you can do with the equipment you have now. There are lots more but these are the ones that will get you strong.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/WTSupineRow.html

There is more here than you need to do at one time but over the next month, make yourself familiar with each.

Pick 1 press, 1 pull and 1 lower body exercise for each workout. Using a weight that is easy, do 3 sets of 5 for each exercise in rotation. 2 days later, pick another 3 exercises and do the same. 2 days later start over with slightly heavier (5% or 5#, whichever is larger) weight. Keep going in this fashion until you run out of weights. Then buy a barbell and start again. :slight_smile:

Stu

Thank you Stu, solid input.

(Thats not REALLY a picture of you right?)

[quote]Steve8867 wrote:
Thank you Stu, solid input.

(Thats not REALLY a picture of you right?)[/quote]

No, that’s the cover model from “Growing Old is for Sissies”.

Ok, this is what I’ve got so far.

Dumbbell fly 3 Sets 8 Reps 15 lbs Monday

Dumbbell bench press 3 Sets 8 Reps 35 lbs Monday

Dumbbell bent-over rows 3 Sets 8 Reps 35 lbs Wendsday

Dumbbel streight leg deadlifts 3 Sets 8 Reps 35 lbs wendsday

Crunches 3 Sets 12 Reps Friday

Reverse crunches 3 Sets 12 Reps Friday

Body weight squats 3 Sets 12 Reps Friday

Elliptical 35 mins Sunday Tuesday Thursday

Lol! I already did Mondays and Wendsdays today!!

What are you doing nutrition wise? You can’t outwork a bad diet btw.

Walking is a great idea and remember it probably took you a while to gain the weight so it will take you a while to lose it safely.

Awww ship!!!

My knee’s are killing me!
I’m trying to jump rope again but in less than 60 seconds it hurts too much!

Go to a bookstore and pick up Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove’s “New Rules for Lifting”, then go buy a 300lbs Olympic weight set.

It is the book I wish I had when I started lifting in high school. It is a great tool for any beginner.

Damn, I started back to work last week…

And YES it IS getting in the way of my trainning!!!

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!