T Nation

Ready to Be Trained!

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]jbalplayr02 wrote:
Thats it?? [/quote]

I prefer to spend my money on fruits and veggies and eat my calories and nutrients rather than supplement them. [/quote]

^This…a thousand times over. There is so much money to be spent on supplements. On cost/benefit you could justify creatine, but otherwise it’s nice to have a bigger food budget to prevent boredom.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
170lbs after 11 years on this site???[/quote]

Love comments like this…sure perpetuates the lovely reputation this forum has round the net. Dude even posted pics showing he’s got a good build too.

What are you implying? Like I said, just because I joined 11 yrs. ago doesn’t mean I followed the entire time or held fast to the principles of the site.

What are you implying? Like I said, just because I joined 11 yrs. ago doesn’t mean I followed the entire time or held fast to the principles of the site. [/quote]

Oh dude, I was defending you. You look good. I thought that guy was being a tool is all.

Congratulations on overcoming your addiction and on the transformation you’ve made buddy, you look good! I’d like to echo the sentiments of Ryan, supplements are highly overrated. Whey protein is an essential for me, but that’s just to help me hit my protein target for the day, not because I think there’s anything magical about a shake. If you want periworkout nutrition, poptarts or fruit pre and post workout with some gatorade powder during training works well for me.

I would hire a coach, mine is very affordable and has helped me a ton…

If you’re looking for a structured workout plan you can’t go wrong by following Thibs or Meadows.

You can find out information about Thibs’ layering system here:

I highly recommend his powerlifting ten day split, if you want someone to be tyrannical and dictate a training programme for you this is what I would go for, replacing the deadlift work with squats. Do this cycle three times through without the meet simulation then do a deload week after the third cycle then repeat…

John Meadows has written articles on here outlining his training philosophy:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/chest_obliteration_mountain_dog_style&cr=

Choosing between them is purely a matter of personal preference. Thibs focusses on explosive heavy lifting on compound lifts: for the layer system you have 1 main lift per workout and work it at different intensity levels, ramping to a 1RM, doing heavy clusters and then some “lighter” extended set work. Meadows tends to go for high volume and intensity, as well as using some eccentric and band work. Whichever programme you look at and think ‘that looks like great fun’, that’s the one for you.

Find one that appeals, stick to it for six months and profit. In terms of diet I agree with the others who have said don’t get fixated on supplements, but equally just do whatever works for you. You’ve clearly made great gains with how you’ve been eating so just try upping the calorie intake and see how your body responds, you’ll find the happy medium where you’re gaining without getting too soft with a bit of experimentation.

So to break through a plateau find a new programme which looks fun and will offer a different training stimulus and stick to it for at elast 3 months, and alongside this up your calorie intake until you’re gaining again. Hope this helps, I know what it can be like to just have paralysis in the face of information overload. I’m making great progress with the layering system so if you’d like more information I can give you a more detailed overview, though the best thing to do is to receive wisdom from the horse’s mouth (so to speak) and have a peruse of thibs’ forum.

Thanks jskr! I hear ya! Just because not all of us want to be 280lbs with high bodyfat!

Thanks pwolves. I am wanting to reconfigure my supp regimen very soon! Like I said, the shakes are so freakin easy and convenient while at work. Then I hear people say that as long as peri workout nutrition is nailed down, the rest of the day isn’t “as important”.

I know a lot of the talk on this site revolves around “plazma” and the wonders that it works, but holy hell! It’s expensive. Thinking about trying it out for a month though. Would have to drop every other supp to do so, I dunno.

As far as supplementation, anyone tried Plazma? I usually use Finibar pre workout. I would love to try Plazma but would have to give up my shakes throughout the day. Is it worth it? If so, I’ll change. I’m tellin ya, i want the best bang for my buck. [/quote]

You don’t have the cash to hire a coach, but you do have the cash for Plazma?

Get your priorities straight.

EDIT: Didn’t mean that to sound as harsh as it came across. But, the point is your money will be better spent hiring a good coach at this point. If doing so cuts into your supplement budget, then so be it.

Like other have said, you seem to have some pretty decent potential. A good coach should be able to provide the necessary direction to harness that.

The alternative is to befriend someone (or a group of someones) that is where you want to be and becoming their training partner.

Not bad stuff but a little pricey for my taste, however the whey protein was probably the best ive ever tasted, albeit not what I buy.

I laugh when I see that nasty picture of Meadows that says “This isn’t supposed to happen.” pshh

PS Steel Nation if thats yourself in your avatar you be lookin mean.

Then I hear people say that as long as peri workout nutrition is nailed down, the rest of the day isn’t “as important”.

[/quote]

Dude I would get that idea out of your head immediately. peri-WO stuff can definitely improve performance and body comp and all that, but it in NO way means the rest isn’t important. Total calories, macros, etc are much more important for diet success then one 3 hour window.

[quote]c.m.l. wrote:

Not bad stuff but a little pricey for my taste, however the whey protein was probably the best ive ever tasted, albeit not what I buy.

I laugh when I see that nasty picture of Meadows that says “This isn’t supposed to happen.” pshh

PS Steel Nation if thats yourself in your avatar you be lookin mean.[/quote]

LOL yeah I squint too much. It was sunny out though.

Not going to lie, I was hoping to stumble across a hot college girl with a masochistic kink in her when I clicked on this thread. Oh well :(.

Anyways OP congratulations on sobriety. I have seen first hand what that disease can do. My moms boyfriend of 5-6 years drank himself to his grave. It was a hard thing to watch. You develop so much anger at this person only to feel guilty because of how helpless they really are. But not you! You beat it.

I don’t believe you need a coach. You seem capable enough. It would appear from your picture that you must have your diet dialed in. Adjust your diet from there based upon your goal.

You guys are right. I don’t need a coach. I guess I was on this site one night, reading program after program and became overwhelmed. They all seemed so good, and I got frustrated thinking, “Damn, I just need someone to say do this today, this tomorrow, etc”. I know what to do. No program is the “best”, but every program can be good as long as the effort put forth is maximal. I actually started doing the layer system last week.

To those who have done it, I am curious as to what accessory exercises you have added after the main lifts. Here’s my split: (So far)

Monday: Decl. Tilt press (3-4 sets triceps accessory work)
Tuesday: SGHP
Wednesday: Lats/Biceps (traditional lifting style, no layer work)
Thursday: Incl. Tilt press (3-4 sets additional chest work)
Friday: Clean & Press (3-4 sets lateral raises)
Saturday: TBDL
Sunday: Some type of conditioning work (Riding a bike, hiking, etc)

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

Then I hear people say that as long as peri workout nutrition is nailed down, the rest of the day isn’t “as important”.

[/quote]

Dude I would get that idea out of your head immediately. peri-WO stuff can definitely improve performance and body comp and all that, but it in NO way means the rest isn’t important. Total calories, macros, etc are much more important for diet success then one 3 hour window. [/quote]

I read that on this site somewhere. It may have been Meadows who said that. Maybe Shugart.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[/quote]

Dude I would get that idea out of your head immediately. peri-WO stuff can definitely improve performance and body comp and all that, but it in NO way means the rest isn’t important. Total calories, macros, etc are much more important for diet success then one 3 hour window. [/quote]

I read that on this site somewhere. It may have been Meadows who said that. Maybe Shugart.[/quote]

yeah I know. But remember, is Meadows or Thibs says something isn’t ‘as important’, you’re talking about elite level lifters. They’ve done this for years, counted every macro and gram at multiple times of their lives, and know their bodies. There version of ‘less important’ is still calculated and adjusted meals probably.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[/quote]

I read that on this site somewhere. It may have been Meadows who said that. Maybe Shugart.[/quote]

yeah I know. But remember, is Meadows or Thibs says something isn’t ‘as important’, you’re talking about elite level lifters. They’ve done this for years, counted every macro and gram at multiple times of their lives, and know their bodies. There version of ‘less important’ is still calculated and adjusted meals probably. [/quote]

Plus I’ve definitely seen them say that you need to get it all sorted before you add in super duper intra workout supps to see a proper difference otherwise you’ll be wasting your money.

So for now I’m thinking of just going with Finibar pre workout and Surge Recovery post workout. Really been toying around with the idea of switching out Metabolic Drive Low Carb for MAG-10, and would probably have to drop the Surge Recovery if I did do this? Opinions?

If you guys could only have one supplement, what would it be? For this instance, let’s say it has to be a Biotest supp.

So for now I’m thinking of just going with Finibar pre workout and Surge Recovery post workout. Really been toying around with the idea of switching out Metabolic Drive Low Carb for MAG-10, and would probably have to drop the Surge Recovery if I did do this? Opinions?

If you guys could only have one supplement, what would it be? For this instance, let’s say it has to be a Biotest supp.[/quote]

GROW Whey, then their Creatine. In that order.

I’m not trying to bash Plazma, but from reading the labels, the only difference I see between it and MAG-10 is some carbs. Same proteins are used? Is this correct?

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

If you guys could only have one supplement, what would it be? For this instance, let’s say it has to be a Biotest supp.[/quote]

GROW Whey, then their Creatine. In that order. [/quote]

I’ve seen great progress from low car Metabolic Drive. Never dried GROW whey. When do you take it??