T Nation

Ready For Summer

I'm a 24 year old male graduate student. I'm 6'2 195, small frame. I played basketball in high school but that was 6 years ago. I have a decent understanding of nutrition and lifting weights. I'd say I've fallen somewhat victim to the typical late college problems of metabolism slowing down but still living the college lifestyle and have put on some weight recently. I've read the are you a beginner thread and even tried Thib's program but ended up not completing it after totaling my car and between transportation issues/finals/car injury I fell off.

I'm going to Florida at the end of July and would like to get in significantly better shape. I'm pretty much a clean slate to work on as I really haven't worked out in the last 2 months except for Flag Football on Saturdays. I've got some supplements such as HOT-ROX and Metabolic Drive Low-Carb and would be willing to purchase others. I'm going to keep my diet clean and could late out my plans for that if requested. I'd love for someone to give me some advice on a beginner program as I have 3 months and plenty of free time to dedicates to this 7 days a week. Also I'll post a training log to let you guys know I progress starting Monday.

If you have any questions or anything that you might need to help me out feel free to post up. I could also provide pictures if necessary. If you don't want to post on here you can PM me.

WS4SB, with some form of GPP on the off days. Keep your diet clean and you shouldn’t need HOT-ROX.

I did some googling and found Westside 4 Skinny Bitches? I’m not necessarily skinny but what is GPP? Didn’t really see anything on that. Thanks for contributing though.

WS4SB = Westside 4 Skinny Bastards/Bitches. GPP is General Physical Preparedness, which is basically just getting your ass in shape. You can do a couple of minutes hitting a tire with a sledgehammer, do some interval running, or something along the lines of this article http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article//gpp_asap. Basically anything to increase your activity level and build up endurance.

ws4sb isn’t just for sb’s

Not to really sound like a bitch or anything but WS4SB might be a little to hardcore for me. I’m far from an athlete at this point in my life. It might be something to consider after a few months of training but at this point I’m starting from scratch.

Also some of the equipment I’d be lacking. At this point the only equipment I own is a SPARQ Speed Rope and I’m not quite at the point where I can drop that money a Prowler nor do I have any way to transport it. Also I work out at the campus gym and they have 2 rather small boxes for box jumping.

Can I ask a question?

Are you going to continue whatever program you choose, diet included after you return from your trip?

Yes I’m actually graduating soon and plan on making the lifestyle change. I guess this trip has been somewhat of a motivating factor especially after seeing pictures from last summer as compared to what I know I look like now.

I’m not crazy and think I’m going to look like a “Shredded” fitness model in 3 months or anything like that. I’d just like to lose 10-15lbs and get stronger(I know doesn’t everyone)but I am realistic about things.

[quote]nikpin wrote:
Yes I’m actually graduating soon and plan on making the lifestyle change. I guess this trip has been somewhat of a motivating factor especially after seeing pictures from last summer as compared to what I know I look like now.

I’m not crazy and think I’m going to look like a “Shredded” fitness model in 3 months or anything like that. I’d just like to lose 10-15lbs and get stronger(I know doesn’t everyone)but I am realistic about things. [/quote]

Okay good…

You will succeed with some hard work & determination then.

EDIT: If your intimidated by WS4SB, which I understand, will not defend, but understand; probably means 1 of 2 things:

1. It will work wonders for you. Remember how nervous you were before you kissed a girl for the first time? See how cool that ended up? (well maybe not the first one.)

2. You’ll hate it and quit lifting.

I can’t tell you what routine is going to be best for you, because I’m not you. But I can tell you that as long as the routine you choose is at least generally comprehensive, includes the big mass builders and CHALLENGES you, you’ll see results and begin to learn how your body responds. Whether it be a 5 day split, WS4SB, Starting Strength or whatever, assuming you put the effort in both the gym and the dinner plate.

Thanks for the advice. I actually started it yesterday and am about to go do dynamic legs. After reading through it more extensively I think I can handle it. I need to find a good cardio balance though on the off days as some of that stuff is what might be a little over my head currently.