Ready for Competition?

I’m looking to enter a powerlifting competition soon. I know I probably won’t do too well but it will motivate me to get stronger.

Today I hit 330 x 3 on the bench, I squatted 405 x 1 last week, and can deadlift somewhere around 450, all raw.
I currently weigh about 204 at 5’11. 21 years old, training exactly 2 years.

I don’t want to show up at a competition looking like a scrawny fool, but either way I think it’d be a good experience.

As for the weight classes, I know there’s a 198 and a 220. I’m still trying to add weight but probably won’t reach 220 by the time I compete. My question is which class would I be in? I assume 198-220 is put in the 220 class but not sure???

AM I READY?

[quote]carter12 wrote:
I’m looking to enter a powerlifting competition soon. I know I probably won’t do too well but it will motivate me to get stronger.

Today I hit 330 x 3 on the bench, I squatted 405 x 1 last week, and can deadlift somewhere around 450, all raw.
I currently weigh about 204 at 5’11. 21 years old, training exactly 2 years.

I don’t want to show up at a competition looking like a scrawny fool, but either way I think it’d be a good experience.

As for the weight classes, I know there’s a 198 and a 220. I’m still trying to add weight but probably won’t reach 220 by the time I compete. My question is which class would I be in? I assume 198-220 is put in the 220 class but not sure???

AM I READY?[/quote]

Go for it, experience is great, expecially when you aren’t totatly ready. It’s hard to explain, but it will get you ready for further comps. Just go for it, and have fun.

Do the meet. Those are good numbers regardless of whether you’re lifting at 198 or 220. I would have told you to do the meet if you were benching, squatting, and pulling less than 200, though; it’s something that you need to experience if you want to get into powerlifting. Your pre-meet training will be at a whole new level, and the experience will be a memorable one.

Go there and lift, the meet will be fun, and you will get to know some really cool people. Everytime I go to a meet I come back 100% more motavated to improve my total because of what the other lifter have done.
Good luck

Will42

Yea, don’t worry about it, there’ll be a lot of lifters weaker than you at those numbers. Even if you went to a meet where people used gear.

The one thing I would say is read the rulebook of whatever federation you’re going to lift in, and have someone who’s lifted in that federation make sure you are getting to proper depth in the squat. The difference between what people think is parallel and what actually is parallel is usually pretty big. (certain federations, ie the USAPL, require you to clearly go below parallel also. )

Great! Thanks guys! I’m all fired up now and I know my training is going to be even better!

I don’t powerlift but speaking from the standpoint of a submission grappler.

I gotta say there is no substitute for competition experience.

It was explained to me that 1 day of competing is worth 6 months of training.

It helps accentuate your weaknesses so you have something to work on when you get back to the gym after the comp.

Good luck.