Reading is Fun and Mental

I don’t know if you guys like Tom Clancy, but “Sum of All Fears” was a good read. He actually had me wanting to reach out and choke the National Security Advisor amongst other people! Can’t compare it to the movie as I haven’t seen it yet.

If you guys like odd BB books, there’s a classic by Harry Crews…can’t remember the name just now - something about snakes? Anyway, it’ll be funnier if you’re from the South, but a good read for anyone.

CD: Not gonna try and compete with CS and MBE when I’m this tired. No way, no how. Since 4:30 this morning.

Thanks MBE for the recomendation on “Chemical Pink.” I left work early last night to pick it up. Well worth it! I’m buying “Bear v. Shark” this evening since your other recomendation turned out so well.

For all of you who are interested in the human side of military fiction, try Major Harold Coyle works or a new work by a very T-man type guy (how he got his wife to let him train the playboy eco-challenge team, I will never know) Sharkman Six. Both these officers deal with the very real human side of battle. Best of Luck.

Older Lifter, is Sharkman Six Richard Marcinko?

No. The book’s title is Sharkman Six and it is about a Marine Recon LT, written by a former Marine Recon LT. A good quick read.

Savannah, how are you liking “Inside Delta Force” so far? (Trust me, the last third or quarter of the book is by far the best).

Well, I am only about 20 pages into it. I put it down for a while because I recently watched HBO’s Band of Brothers, and I wanted to read the book. Anyway I just started it again, so I’ll let you know. Have you ever read “Brave Men, Dark Waters” by Orr Kelly?

Okay, the name of that Crews book is “Body”. Not too hard to remember, eh? It’s exceptionally well done - MBE, you definitely need to read it. You will luuuuve Harry Crews. (The other book that I was thinking of was “A Feast of Snakes”. It’s also very good, but BB only appears in an incidental way.) Lata.

For your reading pleasure… “A Prayer for Owen Meany”( J Irving)- The end is terrifyingly, beautifully done. Sad and thought provoking. “Lord of the Rings”- I need not say more. I read it AFTER the movie and it added oh so much texture and depth, not provided by the movie( which is very good indeed). “1984” and “Animal Farm”( G Orwell)- Two of the best books EVER! Both are short stories that can easily be consumed in a few days. But they leave a lifetime impression.

sigh doesn’t anyone read Edgar Rice Burroughs or Robert E. Howard anymore? I can read that stuff over and over again,and never tire of it.

Picked up Chemical Pink yesterday and I am done. Great book. Love the story, and she has a style that reminds me of Elmore Leonard – sharp, to the point. I hope there are not really too many people as fucked up as those in the book. MBE – Great choice.

Yes. I reread my copies every once in awhile. I am currently rereading Gordon R. Dickson’s Chylde Series (Dorsai) some good stuff about human potential.