T Nation

Reading Blood Profile?

I remember seeing it somewhere on this site where it explained what each thing meant in a blood test, and now I can’t find it.

I just had mine tested for work, and although everything was within their good ranges, I have no clue what they mean, and I had some things at the bear minimum, and some towards the high end.

Anyone know where there is a chart?

I don’t even know where, or if they checked my testosterone levels, or any other hormone, but thought it would be interesting to see.

Cy Willson wrote an article entitled something like, “Doc, Tell Me How Long I’ve Got to Live.” If you run a search, you will find it.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Cy Willson wrote an article entitled something like, “Doc, Tell Me How Long I’ve Got to Live.” If you run a search, you will find it.

[/quote]

For the record, that was one useful article.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

[/quote]

Awesome, thanks!

In case anyone else wanted to see it, here’s the link:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=213how2

Well, I guess that sucked.
I didn’t get any tests for Endocrine Function, or Thyroid. those are the two categories I was most interested in seeing.

I guess my job doesn’t care if I have low Testosterone, or hypothyroidism! lol

[quote]Professor X wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

For the record, that was one useful article.[/quote]

Like all of Willson’s stuff. In the old days, we got articles full of scientific information and analysis. Now we get articles whereby someone tells us how qualified he is (of course, there are many M.D.s who are unqualified to write on weightlifting topics, so education alone is an imperfect proxy), and who makes claims without providing any analysis or relevant scientific information.

And yet they seriously wonder why guys who have been around for a while say the site has changed?

[quote]SWR wrote:
Well, I guess that sucked.
I didn’t get any tests for Endocrine Function, or Thyroid. those are the two categories I was most interested in seeing.

I guess my job doesn’t care if I have low Testosterone, or hypothyroidism! lol
[/quote]

I get an annual physical and my doc didn’t order many of the tests Cy described.

I printed the article out and brought it in. We went thru each one and he explained the need or reason for each one. The next time he did the expanded version for me, including Test and Test/E ratios. Now he does that once a year and a smaller version at 6mos.

My two cents is you just have to ask. Kind of like a mechanic in a way. He isn’t going to check compression ratios on your cylinders if you say the car is running great.

[quote]hedo wrote:

My two cents is you just have to ask. Kind of like a mechanic in a way. He isn’t going to check compression ratios on your cylinders if you say the car is running great.

[/quote]

Yea, that makes sense. I’m going to be scheduling an exam a little more often now, since my last check-up before this one for my job was when I got out of the Navy…January of '03.

I’ll ask for everything next time. Should be interesting.

[quote]SWR wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Awesome, thanks!

In case anyone else wanted to see it, here’s the link:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=213how2

[/quote]

thanks. i recently had a blood test done and was given the results by a nurse rather than a doc. She didn’t really explain what BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen) test meant. Apparently i was 0.1 outside the normal range but said it’s nothing to worry about…