Reader mail

Folks. There are some grave misconceptions going on here. I am not saying that a mix can’t be just as good a dog, nor am I saying that a pure bred is a sure thing. I am saying that altering the dog is not necessary. If you have a good dog altering it can only harm it. Altering solely for the sake of not impregnating another should be strictly for females. And the pound dog is not a risk because of the pound or it being a mix. It is a risk because it could have been beaten or just really poorly socialized. BTW…I don’t have to watch my dogs do shit…They won’t leave my property without my permission. (no shock collar has ever been on one of my dogs) So if they fuck anything up, which they won’t, it would be your problem. Because, like I said before…my dogs have been judged to be of sound mind and they have their balls. That is my point. The balls have a function other than reproduction. Yes, a man with no nuts from testicular cancer is less of a man. No doubt about it. One more thing. My dogs could easily be out of control in the wrong hands and the fact that I have had two male rotties and two female rotties for four years that are trained to the fullest and every little girl on the block knocks on my door or bugs me while I am working out in the garage to play with my babies should tell you I am not some guy trying to act tough. I like big tough dogs because, just like me, they handle business when needed and the rest of the time they are all lovin’. Anytime anyone of you would like to bring your little mut over to my place please just ask. I consider myself an embassador for the breed. I love to show people just how friendly they are to other dogs, cats, kids and even the dumb shits that have mean dogs that walk by my house. Lastly, I love how you all call me a moron but the cheif reason you don’t have a trained pure bred is because you can’t afford it??? I guess money can just buy you a good dog??? It has nothing to do with the owner and the relationship between dog and master??? All four dogs cost me less that 3,000 per year.(including the best of everything) Knock on wood.

Ps. Michelle, you know they can abort dogs. What do you think about that? But that is probably wrong because the same people who tell you abortion is wrong are molesting little boys.

The irony of the whole neutering thing is that the people who should do it, the ones who let their dogs roam, are in fact the ones least likely to do it. I neutered mine (Whippets, fast& good jumpers) just in case they got loose. One of the males humped eveyone in sight. Kinda like me, hmmm. Of course I don’t have any offspring, well not that I know about anyway.

I think Michelle did an excellent job or revealing how ridiculous an idea it is that neutering your dog will some how lessen it’s masculinity or, is in anyway cruel. Your absolutely right, it ain’t the dog who feels his masculinity threatened by neutering, it’s the silly male owner. The dog does’nt give a shit, he does’nt know the difference. However, if you really do love your dog’s nuts you can get a vasectomy for him. Neutering a male dog is much less invasive than spaying a female. Spaying involves a basic histerectomy(sp?). Either way, both sexes should be fixed. Pounds are full of dogs who were born to the dogs of people who never intended them to reproduce. I’ve had many dogs through my pit bull rescue that were never intended to be. Accidents happen, even to nice owners with the best of intentions. To D-end: first of all an apology for the name calling in my last post. It was an emotional response to an issue I am quite passionate about. Having said that, it does not change my opinion of your perception of responsible dog ownership. You say you are an “ambassador of the breed” for rotties, yet you love them because they can take care of business and you challange anyone to bring there “mut” by for a visit. I can only assume you mean for the purpose of fighting your dogs. If this is indeed what you mean than you are not a good ambassador for rotties and “tough breeds” in general. Weather your dog kills another on your property or not, it does nothing to further the reputation of an already maligned breed. I’ve rescued many pit bulls over the years and the first tenant of pit rescue is; never let them fight, on your property or anybody elses. I’ve been fighting breed specific bans for a long time. Trying to create a good name for tough breeds is a difficult enough endeaver as it is. Suggestions like yours don’t help. Besides, what would you do if a guy with a bunch of pitties decided to take you up on your offer. You would end up with a yard full of dead rotties. There are already enough tough guys out there that think fighting their dogs is a good way to prove there manhood. As I’ve said before, it’s a case of the animal being much more noble and worthy of life than the human. Lastly, adult dogs from the pound are not often a big risk if put through a temperment test. In fact in my rescue, I prefer adults to pups. While pups can indeed be socialized, it’s next to impossible to tell if their adult temperment will be compromised due to some genetic fuck up. An adult dog’s temperment towards humans can usually be figured out with a 20 min. temperment test. Another quick test can determine it’s temperment with other dogs. BTW, if anyone adopts a dog from a breed rescue, don’t expect to get an intact dog. Pretty much all breed rescues fix their dogs immediately and will not adopt out in tact dogs.

I can afford the BMW I drive and I can afford the payment on my high six figure home in LA, because the company I own at 29 affords me these as well as many other things. I can assure you if I wanted a purebred of any kind I would have it. My pound dog was tied to a porch for two years and beat to shit before being turned into the pound by his loving owner, and has been the best dog I have ever had. Despite his lack of papers and pedigree and I have had more offers for him than I can count. He is beautiful, well-groomed, well-behaved, well-trained, and has became well-socialized. Past abuse is not a measure of what an animal can become. By your rationale you must also think that every child who has been abused should be euthanized?

Apologies for the name calling. Clearly this is an arousing subject but it was inappropriate.

Yes, I know they can abort dogs. And the female will not morn her lost pups, they will just be gone. I have nothing against abortion, in humans or dogs. If aborting 10 puppies will avoid those 10 from ending up in a shelter then it’s the right thing to do.

Accidents happen... dogs get loose. You want to tell me with a straight face that if a dog was in heat next door your dog would not leave your property? My bull shit detector is going off.

Yes, I am passionate about spaying and neutering dogs... I've spent time in shelters trying to decide which life to save and which to leave behind to die. Call me a soft hearted girl if you wish, but it's true.

I don't have a pure bred dog because I don't have $1200 for a puppy, and the breed I am looking for is extremely rare so there are none up for rescue. I am also VERY VERY against buying animals when there are so may out there who need homes. As has been stated over and over, almost every breed has a rescue group associated with it. If you must have a certian breed you can find it, and often you can find very young dogs if you wait for it.

Lastly, you get out of a dog what you put into it. Any dog can be well trained and well behaved, pound puppy or pedigreed champion.

If I neutered myself, would you buy me a BMW with your salary?? Please…

You are right. You are all right. You dog loving T-people. I love what you said about you get out what you put in. So True. My roommate has a GSD that was just as you described and he through a lot of hard work brought him around to one of the best dogs ever. My other buddy got a dog at the very same time and he is a careless fool and the dog has bit several other dogs now and will probably end up getting put down. Yeah if the Dacshund next door was in heat we would definitely have a problem. But if that dog were on the other side of the street there is no way. They don’t cross the street for anything. My dogs all look at me for the okay to cross the street because they no nothing is worse than being in the street. Daddy makes them lick gravel for that one. Good thing we got that down before they got huge. :slight_smile:

“I live in Los Angeles where they euthanize over 250,000 dogs annually” think of all the hungry people out there. I can’t believe they waste all that good meat. THAT is a crime.

You are hereby given 25 demerits for bragging about your salary, your home, and your car. Now we need to move onto a more erudite subject so that I can join in. I tire of the “to cut, or not to cut” argument.

evil laugh I can give you a list of males who need ‘cutting’ MU-HA-HA-Ha

Oh dear, it seems I was just overcome by evil-me
laugh

I am utterly fucking AMAZED by the ridiculous bullshit some of you people argue about.

Having papers, does not make a dog special. Any dumbass can start a puppy farm, and sell
“pure bred” puppies with papers. I personally love my “mutt”. He is half border collie and german sheperd, and on of the best dogs I have ever had.And as far as dogs not roaming the streets without their owners, shit happens, dogs get lose. Especially with smart, big, and strong dogs. My dog has gotten out of just about every leash/fence that I have put up, he even wore out slider on his dog run, and it was 1/2" in diameter.Unless you are a breeder, there is no reason not to have your dog fixed.

You must have a rare “secret military bred” mutt. My dogs nor those of my firends have ever ‘escaped’. Then again in this climate we do keep our dogs indoor.

Yeah, I deserved that. I was not bragging however, I was just really pissed. Shitdisturber is right anyway, the idiots who really need to nueter their dogs are the ones who’ll never do it.
P.S. it’s a used BMW.

Eddie is his name and he is really, really, unique. Patricia :slight_smile:

Locking him in the house is the only thing that seems to work. The german sheperd/border collie mix, makes him handfull. He gets bored easy, and if he’s bored, trouble soon follows.

Have you ever looked into the invisible fence systems? I have no idea what the cost is but I know people use them for areas as small as items of furniture they don’t want the dog on or just a single room you want to keep the dog out of.