Read This if You Have a Cell Phone

31 days from today, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED AIRTIME FOR THESE CALLS…

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888/382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list, takes about a minute, and blocks your number for five (5) years.

Alternately you can go to: donotcall.gov

and register there.

This is an urban legend.

And here is the link to the snopes debunking:

Thanks.

I don’t know if it’s so much of an Urban Legend as a “my Mom forwarded me an email and since I have no TV, I am uninformed” legend.

I just went to donotcall.gov and it said you could register your mobile number. So, is that unnecessary? I did anyways, redundancy rules!

There already is an existing de jure do not call list for cell phones. It is against the law to make unsolicited sales calls to cell phone numbers.

[quote]apayne wrote:
I just went to donotcall.gov and it said you could register your mobile number. So, is that unnecessary? I did anyways, redundancy rules![/quote]

It is a real phone number and a real government website. The plan is to make cell phone numbers accessible through 411, not to distribute a list. As I understand it, the 411 list is opt-in anyway, and some carriers are refusing to sign up because so many people don’t want their cell numbers available.
You can register, and it won’t hurt anything, but it isn’t necessary.

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:

I don’t know if it’s so much of an Urban Legend as a “my Mom forwarded me an email and since I have no TV, I am uninformed” legend.[/quote]

Those are the worst kind of legends for us “no TV, always out of the loop” types.

[quote]S-Lifter wrote:
There already is an existing de jure do not call list for cell phones. It is against the law to make unsolicited sales calls to cell phone numbers.[/quote]

Verizon (her carrier) called my mothers cell phone 88 times so far in 2005.

She has had a fun time fighting them about this.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Verizon (her carrier) called my mothers cell phone 88 times so far in 2005.

She has had a fun time fighting them about this.[/quote]

If they are charging these minutes against her phone, and they are unsolicited sales calls, she has an excellent case for fraud against them. Just a thought.

They are trying to charge her. She is not paying. After many letters and calls she got them to dismiss the charges, but the calls keep coming.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
They are trying to charge her. She is not paying. After many letters and calls she got them to dismiss the charges, but the calls keep coming.[/quote]

If she kept a record of when she called, who she spoke to, and kept copies of all her letters, she should speak with an attorney about initiating a class-action law suit. This kind of behavior should be punished.