Reactive Training Manual

Anyone read/own it? Tuchscherer certainly has credit, guess i’m just wondering what everyone liked/didnt like about it.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Anyone read/own it? Tuchscherer certainly has credit, guess i’m just wondering what everyone liked/didnt like about it.[/quote]

I bought it and found it very informative. It is a little pricey given how small of a manual it it, but the manual also includes a CD that contains a bunch of spreadsheets you can use to plan out your training cycles, so there is some value hidden in the price tag. The best thing about the book is that it progresses from sketching out a simple training template using the RPEs into more advanced training techniques.

I’m almost halfway through my second 6-week mesocycle and so far I can honestly say that I feel much stronger and confident when I squat, bench and deadlift due to the mixture of volume and intensity.

I own the book and it is a very interesting training system. After experiencing periodization, Westside, 5/3/1, and Sheiko, it confirmed to me it was a good training method. Westside gives you intensity and Sheiko gives you volume and RTS gives you the best of both worlds. I am currently finishing up 15 weeks of Sheiko training. I would like to give RTS a try. For me its a toss up between RTS and block periodization.

Thanks Nova - Phil, you’re not doing 531 anymore?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Thanks Nova - Phil, you’re not doing 531 anymore?[/quote]

No, I switched to Sheiko. I did 6 waves on 531 and decided to give Sheiko a try. I had good results, but I have wanted to try Sheiko for a couple years. So I decided to give it a try.

Bump - anyone else read it?

[quote]bcingu wrote:
Bump - anyone else read it?[/quote]

I have read it and I am loving the workouts.

Am I right in thinking that it’s a variation of block periodization?

[quote]bcingu wrote:
Bump - anyone else read it?[/quote]

I own the book and the DVD.

I used Westside and 531 with decent results before trying RTS. Now that I’ve switched, I’ve been making consistent progress from week to week. The combination of volume and intensity phases has allowed me to push heavy weights without beating myself into the ground.

[quote]bcingu wrote:
Am I right in thinking that it’s a variation of block periodization?[/quote]

It’s the style of no style. My workouts are more of a dup, daily undulating. But, one can base it off of Sheiko, 531, Westside, or whatever. I haven’t gotten to that point yet, I am still a virtual babe in the woods.

I have the book and it is a good book. I have not used the training method, but I do think it is a good one. I started block periodization in August 2009. Having experience with old school periodization, Westside, 5/3/1, and Sheiko, my opinion is that RTS or block periodization are the way to go.

Mike Tuchscherer mentions in the RTS manual that building on athletic characteristic at a time is a more efficient method than trying to build multiple characteristics at one time (ie speed and strength). That was my deciding factor to switch to block from Sheiko. All the methods I have tried would have continued to work, but would eventually stop working or not working as well. I like and believe in the concept of changing up your training during a training cycle.RTS and do just that.

[quote]bcingu wrote:
Am I right in thinking that it’s a variation of block periodization?[/quote]

It is similar to block, but instead of using set percentages you use RPE’s (Rate of Perceived Exertion). RPE’s are based on how you feel at the time and not a set percentage. The reasoning behind that is that some days you feel really good and perform better and some days you don’t. So using RPE’s you use the weight that is best suited for your state during that workout. Following the RTS method you would really learn to listen to your body and customize your training to suit your needs.

Using RPE’s sounds like a good idea as long as you realise that some days you feel like shite but can surprise yourself when you hit the weights … I’ve hit PRs on days when I felt like total crud. Just my thoughts.

I think the benefit of set % is that you know in advance and can mentally prepare yourself days before, even unconsciously, for what lies ahead, of course that can work both ways.

And Sheiko has a whole range of levels to select based on how you think you will go over the next few months, again, sort of combining the ideas of set % and how you think you will go.

All I can say is: if it works, keep doing it, if it stops working, stop doing it and do something else.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
Using RPE’s sounds like a good idea as long as you realise that some days you feel like shite but can surprise yourself when you hit the weights … I’ve hit PRs on days when I felt like total crud. Just my thoughts.
[/quote]

That is the reason RTS uses RPE’s. Your training is based on your state at the time of the workout. RPE’s are also helpful if you don’t know your 1 rep max on a particular exercise. Landon Evans has me using RPE’s on exercises that I don’t know my 1 rep max.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
I think the benefit of set % is that you know in advance and can mentally prepare yourself days before, even unconsciously, for what lies ahead, of course that can work both ways.
[/quote]

I prefer a set percentage over RPE’s. It makes me work at a specific level, which otherwise I may not. It also gives me a better sense of where my strength is at.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
All I can say is: if it works, keep doing it, if it stops working, stop doing it and do something else. [/quote]

That’s very good advice.

[quote]Phillip Wylie wrote:

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
[/quote]

That is the reason RTS uses RPE’s. Your training is based on your state at the time of the workout. RPE’s are also helpful if you don’t know your 1 rep max on a particular exercise. Landon Evans has me using RPE’s on exercises that I don’t know my 1 rep max.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
[/quote]

I prefer a set percentage over RPE’s. It makes me work at a specific level, which otherwise I may not. It also gives me a better sense of where my strength is at.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
All I can say is: if it works, keep doing it, if it stops working, stop doing it and do something else. [/quote]

That’s very good advice.

[/quote]

RPE’s are a little different to get used to, but I use the goal of beating my last workout on a particular exercise. I can use my handy-dandy workset from the manual and it figures it up for me. So, even if I’m feeling tight, I have a goal.