Reactive Strength Development

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]Efeguwewe wrote:
Going to start implementing some of this into my leg training. Watching the Phil Harrington box jump video just inspired me like no other[/quote]

I was there when that was filmed. Some of the shit he did was absolutely ridiculous.[/quote]

What do you do in terms of being flexible. That is, this is my situation: I’m 5’7 and I can touch rim with a 3 step run but cant grab it to hang. I tried off my knees like you did in your video to get to my feet, then a jump onto my island and that seemed to hurt my hip flexors and shit - pretty much that area. I feel I have the explosion to do this but am just so tight from deadlifting and squatting for the past 4 years with no flexible movements - ie. since wrestling in high school. So what do you do to be able to be flexible enough to hit these jumps so quickly? I really would like to get into this as I feel my vert. would get pretty damn high once I start doing them

[quote]jacob-1310 wrote:
have you ever tried the reactive/contrast method with heavy-light sets? [/quote]

Yes. I got nothing out of it. True reactive strength can only be developed in a state of ZERO fatigue, low volume, and maximum force on every rep.

[quote]Efeguwewe wrote:

[quote]Efeguwewe wrote:
Going to start implementing some of this into my leg training. Watching the Phil Harrington box jump video just inspired me like no other[/quote]

I was there when that was filmed. Some of the shit he did was absolutely ridiculous.[/quote]

What do you do in terms of being flexible. That is, this is my situation: I’m 5’7 and I can touch rim with a 3 step run but cant grab it to hang. I tried off my knees like you did in your video to get to my feet, then a jump onto my island and that seemed to hurt my hip flexors and shit - pretty much that area. I feel I have the explosion to do this but am just so tight from deadlifting and squatting for the past 4 years with no flexible movements - ie. since wrestling in high school. So what do you do to be able to be flexible enough to hit these jumps so quickly? I really would like to get into this as I feel my vert. would get pretty damn high once I start doing them[/quote]

First off, check your form. Lifting correctly increases mobility. Unless you have some stability or mobility component that’s f’ed up.

Secondly, www.MobilityWOD.com. Do that shit everyday.

STB - regarding mobilitywod - do you find any particular days from there to be particularly helpful for powerlifters and mobility/health as it relates to the big3?

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
STB - regarding mobilitywod - do you find any particular days from there to be particularly helpful for powerlifters and mobility/health as it relates to the big3?[/quote]

Any one that deals with hip int/ext rotation. I think there are a couple that he put out just for squatting and deadlifting. The 5-way shoulder mob is awesome for benching.

An upper body pressing movment I have been working on:

I have done something similar, but using a Smith Machine. I’ll set up for a bench press, and load up about 40%1RM and explode the bar up for speed. It comes catch, and then a quick reactive and explosive push up again. The Smith Machine allows you to really focus on explosive power and less on balance and bar path.

power clean, full clean, power snatch, full snatch. best for reactive strength

only for those with decent technique… otherwise, ignore me!

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

only for those with decent technique… otherwise, ignore me![/quote]
I thought those were more suited for starting strength

Is this type of training suitable for someone who doesn’t have a high level of absolute strength yet? Would it be better for someone who isn’t that strong yet (myself… 510 max deadlift) to just focus on heavy lifting and then worry about this type of training later?

I’m not putting down reactive strength training in any way I just know that STB already has a massive deadlift. Have you been doing reactive strength training all along or is this something you just picked up recently?

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

I thought those were more suited for starting strength[/quote]
You are thinking about the wrong part of the lift. The ‘catch’ portion of the clean/snatch, when done with moderate to heavy weight, with decent technique, will develop crazy reactive strength.

edit: now that I think about it, heavy jerks can also develop some crazy reactive strength in the legs (mainly quads).

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

You are thinking about the wrong part of the lift. The ‘catch’ portion of the clean/snatch, when done with moderate to heavy weight, with decent technique, will develop crazy reactive strength.

edit: now that I think about it, heavy jerks can also develop some crazy reactive strength in the legs (mainly quads).[/quote]
okay I see what your getting at

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

edit: now that I think about it, heavy jerks can also develop some crazy reactive strength in the legs (mainly quads).[/quote]

At the catch of an olympic movement, the resistance is at about zero. The reactive component of the lift is during the final completion phase of the lift. I agree that olympic movements are good but they are definitely not best for developing reactive strength for bigger squats and deadlifts for several reasons:

1. If the weight is too heavy, the movement is too slow, and the reactive component is reduced.
  2. Most powerlifters will not be mobile enough for the full olympic lifts… and there is absolutely no reason for them to be.
  3. Not everyone can clean and snatch with good or even recognizable form. Everyone with two legs and two arms can jump, throw, and do push ups.

If heavy jerks do have a reactive force, it is minimal and I wouldn’t even put it in the same realm as other upper body pressing movements. The purpose of these exercises are not to “strengthen the quads” or any other muscle group. They are to improve the elastic properties of muscle by over loading the stretch reflex and by teaching the central nervous system to signal faster and harder.

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:
Is this type of training suitable for someone who doesn’t have a high level of absolute strength yet? Would it be better for someone who isn’t that strong yet (myself… 510 max deadlift) to just focus on heavy lifting and then worry about this type of training later?

I’m not putting down reactive strength training in any way I just know that STB already has a massive deadlift. Have you been doing reactive strength training all along or is this something you just picked up recently?[/quote]

I see what you are getting at. I know a lot of “testbooks” recommend that you should be able to squat somewhere around 1 and 1.5 times your bodyweight before you begin any kind of explosive plyometrics. I think that if you can sprint in a straight line without pain of discomfort and with good form (i.e. not all over the place) then you can do reactive strength drills.

Personally, I have always done sprints and jumps in my training. It has never actually been programmed in until now. Like I said, I will have something written up eventually that will lay out a program to follow. But just don’t do anything stupid to start out with. I would suggest mastering these jumps in this order: jumping from your knees to your feet, knees to feet to a vertical jump, knees to feet to a broad jump, kneeling broad jump, then eventually cycle back through each and start adding weight and boxes to the jumps. Spend at least two weeks on each jump, do 6-10 sets of 3 reps and make sure all reps are as FAST as you can possibly move.

Does that make sense?

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:

I’m not putting down reactive strength training in any way I just know that STB already has a massive deadlift. Have you been doing reactive strength training all along or is this something you just picked up recently?[/quote]

I see what you are getting at. I know a lot of “testbooks” recommend that you should be able to squat somewhere around 1 and 1.5 times your bodyweight before you begin any kind of explosive plyometrics. I think that if you can sprint in a straight line without pain of discomfort and with good form (i.e. not all over the place) then you can do reactive strength drills.

Personally, I have always done sprints and jumps in my training. It has never actually been programmed in until now. Like I said, I will have something written up eventually that will lay out a program to follow. But just don’t do anything stupid to start out with. I would suggest mastering these jumps in this order: jumping from your knees to your feet, knees to feet to a vertical jump, knees to feet to a broad jump, kneeling broad jump, then eventually cycle back through each and start adding weight and boxes to the jumps. Spend at least two weeks on each jump, do 6-10 sets of 3 reps and make sure all reps are as FAST as you can possibly move.

Does that make sense?[/quote]

Yes that makes a lot of sense. Thank you. How many times a week should I do this?

I would suggest mastering these jumps in this order: jumping from your knees to your feet, knees to feet to a vertical jump, knees to feet to a broad jump, kneeling broad jump, then eventually cycle back through each and start adding weight and boxes to the jumps. Spend at least two weeks on each jump, do 6-10 sets of 3 reps and make sure all reps are as FAST as you can possibly move.

Does that make sense?[/quote]

Awesome. I just started to do kneeling jumps (with and without chains for added weight) after looking at this thread. I’ll work on the progression.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

At the catch of an olympic movement, the resistance is at about zero. The reactive component of the lift is during the final completion phase of the lift. I agree that olympic movements are good but they are definitely not best for developing reactive strength for bigger squats and deadlifts for several reasons:

1. If the weight is too heavy, the movement is too slow, and the reactive component is reduced.
  2. Most powerlifters will not be mobile enough for the full olympic lifts… and there is absolutely no reason for them to be.
  3. Not everyone can clean and snatch with good or even recognizable form. Everyone with two legs and two arms can jump, throw, and do push ups.

If heavy jerks do have a reactive force, it is minimal and I wouldn’t even put it in the same realm as other upper body pressing movements. The purpose of these exercises are not to “strengthen the quads” or any other muscle group. They are to improve the elastic properties of muscle by over loading the stretch reflex and by teaching the central nervous system to signal faster and harder.[/quote]

When you catch the lift, the resistance is not zero… the resistance is whatever is on the bar. Let’s say you catch a heavy ass power clean of 315 lbs, you catch it in the quarter squat position, and it pushes you down a few inches and your legs fight against that and absorb the weight and push it back up until you are upright. That is reactive strength being developed up the ass!

On point #1: if you are doing a slow clean or snatch, you are doing it wrong. It is often said in Olympic lifting circles that your warm-up with 135 lbs on the snatch should be as smooth as fast with a near-limit weight such as 405 lbs (for an elite lifter).

On point #2: agreed. However, if they are not mobile for a full squat clean or squat snatch, power snatches & power cleans are their friend.

On point #3: agreed.

I wouldn’t put jerks in an upper body pressing movement category for reactive strength either, it would be for the lower body, mainly quads. And trust me, the reactive force is HUGE on a heavy jerk. The definition of reactive strength is the ability to absorb force in one direction and then apply more force in the opposite direction. That is exactly what happens in a jerk, and can be a great exercise for developing the reactive strength of the quads, and to a much lesser degree, the glutes/hammies (negligible in the case of the jerk). Your last statement on reactive strength is actually exactly what happens in the jerk…

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

If heavy jerks do have a reactive force, it is minimal and I wouldn’t even put it in the same realm as other upper body pressing movements. The purpose of these exercises are not to “strengthen the quads” or any other muscle group. They are to improve the elastic properties of muscle by over loading the stretch reflex and by teaching the central nervous system to signal faster and harder.[/quote]

When you catch the lift, the resistance is not zero… the resistance is whatever is on the bar. Let’s say you catch a heavy ass power clean of 315 lbs, you catch it in the quarter squat position, and it pushes you down a few inches and your legs fight against that and absorb the weight and push it back up until you are upright. That is reactive strength being developed up the ass!

On point #1: if you are doing a slow clean or snatch, you are doing it wrong. It is often said in Olympic lifting circles that your warm-up with 135 lbs on the snatch should be as smooth as fast with a near-limit weight such as 405 lbs (for an elite lifter).

On point #2: agreed. However, if they are not mobile for a full squat clean or squat snatch, power snatches & power cleans are their friend.

I wouldn’t put jerks in an upper body pressing movement category for reactive strength either, it would be for the lower body, mainly quads. And trust me, the reactive force is HUGE on a heavy jerk. The definition of reactive strength is the ability to absorb force in one direction and then apply more force in the opposite direction. That is exactly what happens in a jerk, and can be a great exercise for developing the reactive strength of the quads, and to a much lesser degree, the glutes/hammies (negligible in the case of the jerk). Your last statement on reactive strength is actually exactly what happens in the jerk… [/quote]

How about a push jerk as opposed to the full blown jerk in the deep split stance? Like basically push press it up and dip just by putting a foot back a little with just a little knee bend to absorb the shock as much to reduce the distance the bar has be moved up. Is there an upper body reactive force component there? I was thinking because when I do those, it takes a ton of energy to absorb the weight when I catch it overhead from my shoulders and upper back.

What I like about olys is that they help me explode off the floor on deads better than speed pulls ever have. They build upper back, trap, and shoulder strength/size faster than anything else I’ve done which helps with all the power lifts. It’s some solid core work too. Also Snatching or pushing heavy weight overhead works the core like crazy.

I just love how oly’s do all of these in just one or two movements.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

I wouldn’t put jerks in an upper body pressing movement category for reactive strength either, it would be for the lower body, mainly quads. And trust me, the reactive force is HUGE on a heavy jerk. The definition of reactive strength is the ability to absorb force in one direction and then apply more force in the opposite direction. That is exactly what happens in a jerk, and can be a great exercise for developing the reactive strength of the quads, and to a much lesser degree, the glutes/hammies (negligible in the case of the jerk). Your last statement on reactive strength is actually exactly what happens in the jerk… [/quote]

That picture is showing the forces applied to a force plate during a full clean. There is a sharp drop in the catch pahse because the force of the athlete has overcome the external resistance. Maximum muscular effort is acheived during the second pull. No force is produced during the catch and energy is being stored in the connective tissue, the reactive component of a clean it the ability to overcome the catch phase and lock the weight out to completion.

There is literally no force applied during the catch because the force applied to the bar has made it motionless and weightless momentarily. This is just basic physics. It’s the same idea as a baseball still weighing the same right after the pitcher releases it. If that ball is going 100mph there will be a distortion in the weight of the ball for a short time.

Everyone slows down with near maximal weights. Regardless of strength discipline. The best strength athletes are the ones that slow down the least… but it is still slower than submaximal weights.

We are splitting hairs here.

STB, your threads and blog friggin’ rock. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and humor.