Reactions to Hip Pull Throughs

Pull throughs are good for glute activation, which some people need prior to squats, deads etc

Just don’t go “Oh yeah baby!” or grunt too loudly on each rep. That’s my trademark.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
People look at you funny?

Try being a female and doing good mornings.

:-P[/quote]

I did them in shorts, but only once. Learned my lesson.
I like the idea of pull throughs for glute activation, but I always end up getting pulled back in to the cable stack. I think it’s a balance thing. I end up doing GMs or glute/ham raise instead.

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

:stuck_out_tongue:

sweet

there’s one slender blond at my gym (YMCA) that does SLDL’s . cant help but stare .

I do believe the restraining order expires this month
[/quote]

Restraining orders are just another way of saying “I Love You” :wink:

Get a nice low back injury from front squatting at a shit training center with no bumpers and shitty cages that hit your plates… blah blah blah… ghey time.

Now that you have a shit low back/hip injury from said fitness center where you were kicked out 3 times you will find that things like pull through’s are your new best move. It is hard as hell to keep/build glute strength with a healing back and no spinal loading.

They also are great for doing with lighter weights for speed between sets of cleans or C&J’s to keep your 2nd pull quick and hard. I’ve even seen/used a good machine that has a heel stopper type thing on the floor so you dont slide back into the bar with your ass crack.

“FIRE ZE GLUTES!”

-chris

[quote]lighting_guy wrote:
- YouTube [/quote]

is this how most folks do them ?

I do them more like this (not me in the vid.):

different ways to do them if you want to emphasize lower back or hammies.

that girl seems like she’s rounding her back too much but maybe thats just me, i didn’t really watch it i was kinda staring at her chest.

i do them inbetween both vids.

the first chick goes REALLY low, like if she lost her footing shed end up upside down.

the second guy bends hes knees and looks like hes jumping, i also go lower.

[quote]dianab wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

:stuck_out_tongue:

I did them in shorts, but only once. Learned my lesson.
I like the idea of pull throughs for glute activation, but I always end up getting pulled back in to the cable stack. I think it’s a balance thing. I end up doing GMs or glute/ham raise instead.[/quote]

I have that problem too. Usually get 2 training partners to stick a foot behind my heels to help stay in place. This works best if you can get two people to help. One person can stand behind you but that will definitely get you some strange looks, even at a gym where pull throughs are completely normal.

I like doing straight legged ones because they really activate the glutes and hip extension. I find using a really low cable and standing on some boxes makes the cable pull you more downwardish as opposed to backwardsish.

Also popping two 60# hex bells behind your heels works good. Just like you hook some big hex bells for standing cable pulldowns (reverse GM’s for abs) with your toes. Even better for that Is strapping on (LOL… strap-on) some plates with the dip belt to keep you on the floor. more strange looks.

-chris

The girl in the video is doing them the way I do them. Except I unlock my knees a bit more.

At elitefts thats how they show how to do them.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=4119&tid=104

People look at you because they are stupid.

Entire gym was staring at me while I was screaming doing deadlifts with chains standing on a platform. Non eof these people see a dead over 275 unless I do it.

i absolutely love pull throughs.

I use them more as a prehab/finisher exercise.

But yeah you do get some funny looks…then again ive had funny looks doing just about ever exercise other than “bench” and “curls.”

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
I have that problem too. Usually get 2 training partners to stick a foot behind my heels to help stay in place. This works best if you can get two people to help. One person can stand behind you but that will definitely get you some strange looks, even at a gym where pull throughs are completely normal.[/quote]

HOLY SHIT THIS WOULD BE FUNNY!

Especially if your partner comments on your form

“yea like that, right there, get a good stretch, nice rep, come on, one more, you’re almost there, aaahhh yea pull! pull! pull!.. whew, nice set we’ll go again in a minute”

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
I have that problem too. Usually get 2 training partners to stick a foot behind my heels to help stay in place. This works best if you can get two people to help. One person can stand behind you but that will definitely get you some strange looks, even at a gym where pull throughs are completely normal.

HOLY SHIT THIS WOULD BE FUNNY!

Especially if your partner comments on your form

“yea like that, right there, get a good stretch, nice rep, come on, one more, you’re almost there, aaahhh yea pull! pull! pull!.. whew, nice set we’ll go again in a minute”[/quote]

The one man spotter setup has been done before at my gym actually. One of the girls was having trouble getting pulled back and there was only one guy nearby to help out. Everyone else had a good laugh from across the gym.