T Nation

Reaching for a Dream

I need help in achieving my dream of playing college football. In two months I will be going back to school fulltime and I want to play football. I need help with my workouts. I need to get stronger and faster in a hurry. My current stats are:
5'10 194lbs
Squat-335
Deadlift-365
Bench-300
40 time- 4.9sec

My current workout is:
Day 1 flat bench/superset with lat pulldowns 4sets
weighted dips 3 sets
DB flat bench 2 sets
flies 3 sets
straight bar curl/superset skull crushers 3 sets
Abs
Day 2 military press 3 sets
bentover rows 4 sets
upright rows 3 sets
seated DB press 3 sets
preacher curls/superset tricep extensions 3 sets
Abs
Day 3 Rest
Day 4 Power cleans 4 sets
backsquats 6 sets
I alternate my leg workouts. The following week is:
front squats 4 sets
deadlifts 6 sets
Day 5 incline bench/superset close grip pulldowns 3 sets
DB hammer curls 3 sets
tricep overhed press 3 sets
Abs

All my ab workouts are different. I run once a week about 3-4 miles and do speed drills twice a week (not on leg days). My supps include Grow!, BCAA, creatine, Surge and I started taking Flameout. My diet is very clean but I know I don't get enough protein. It's tough between my fulltime work and night school. Help me out T-Nation. Did I mention I'm 30 years old.

Questions: What division? What position? This is going to make a huge difference.

Right now, not to shit on you, but your wheels ain’t looking hot at all. You should be over 2x body weight on both squats and deads. If I were you I would focus on crushing legs and doing power movements. Do resistance running, tons of lunges, and things like that. Focus on doing a really quick mile, and then endurance for a long jog. Take 200lbs and squat it as many times as you can. Keep doing this, you’re going to want to move that much weight , and more, around on the field. Work those hips flexors and glutes (fast deads, hang/power cleans/snatch. Remember, you need to slam and control people. With a 300lb bench, you are cool up top for max, focus more on consistency and endurance.

I would also suggest getting into yoga. This will improve your balance and strengthen ligaments and tendons as well as stretch them.

DON"T do any arms! You need to gain muscle and you don’t want to move any nutrition and body energy away from where it needs to go: your legs. I would probably cut down even on benching, and devote more time to getting speed. You are old and will need crazy endurance. I would also suggest switching to all freeweights. The reason is it will build more stabilizing muscles and these will help a lot more in a real life situation.

You need protein? Do it the old fashion way: a gallon of milk a day. Make jars of peanut butter disappear. Slam yogurt, eat lots of nuts, and plenty of fruit and vitamins.
This will be very tough, but if you keep your head down, and really work, it could happen.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Even more important then your lift numbers is your heart, you gotta take no prisoners when its time to lay the pads.

I’d recomend the Bigger Faster Stronger program. I know it might sound ammusing to some, but this program is tried and true…
It has won championships.

just my 2 lbs

Heart and talent.

If your not good at football and dont have instincts then you wont be good at any division above 3. Like what mingle said try the BFS program. College football is going to be your life. Make sure you want it. Its kind of late to improve your stats alot so worry about getting faster and more explosive and learning the game of football. Speed kills on the field.

All I can suggest is you put your head down and plow through!! Your lifting program or what you eat is not as important as going in there and doing it! Good luck

Randizo (T-Nation member) played at Purdue a few years ago. PM him for specific tips.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Randizo (T-Nation member) played at Purdue a few years ago. PM him for specific tips.[/quote]

yea i would like proof of that. I saw him post that once. Kind of hard to believe…

[quote]mingledorff7 wrote:
I’d recomend the Bigger Faster Stronger program. I know it might sound ammusing to some, but this program is tried and true…

just my 2 lbs[/quote]

yer a stinkin liar, actually do normal boxsquats and it isn’t that bad. (and upper back work)

I still like WSFSB better.

I’m going to be playing junior college ball in california. I hope to be playing safety. For the next 2 months I am going to kill my legs. I know my legs aren’t that impressive now but I have come a long way in the past 5 months. I like what Lucid is saying, no arms and minimal chest work just to maintain my strength.
My heart is definitely in it. Going back to play ball has been torturing my soul for too long. I want to end this once and for all. No matter what happens I want to know if I am good enough. I can’t fail. The only way I can fail is by not trying.
I know I’m 30 but life didn’t give me the oppurtunity to do this earlier. I’m in the military and I couldn’t give it up (nor did I want to) for the past 7 years. My chance is finally here and I’m not going to let it slip away.

This website has taught me that if there is something you want go get it. If there is something you don’t like than change it. People think I’m crazy but who cares what they say because when I’m 50 I know I won’t have any regrets. I’ll be able to tell my daughter if she wants something then go get and don’t let anyone stop you thats what your dad did.
All I hear is “How can you hang with 20 year olds.” Well I say how can they hang with me.

[quote]ICEMAN276 wrote:
People think I’m crazy but who cares what they say because when I’m 50 I know I won’t have any regrets. I’ll be able to tell my daughter if she wants something then go get and don’t let anyone stop you thats what your dad did.
All I hear is “How can you hang with 20 year olds.” Well I say how can they hang with me.[/quote]

Thats the attitude you need. Now just put in the hard work.

Good luck.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
mingledorff7 wrote:

just my 2 lbs

yer a stinkin liar, actually do normal boxsquats and it isn’t that bad. (and upper back work)

I still like WSFSB better.[/quote]

yeah the thing is he aint training to powerlift competitively…granted in my opinion it IS the greatest way to workout EVER…he needs to be %100 football oriented.

Work your balls off, and you can do it.