T Nation

Re-Shaping Your Pecs?


Is it possible to “change” the shape of your pecs? I mean I know muscle shape is largely genetic…but dam we all werent blessed with a large square chest.

My chest looks like this…too much space at the bottom

[quote]Cron391 wrote:
Is it possible to “change” the shape of your pecs? I mean I know muscle shape is largely genetic…but dam we all werent blessed with a large square chest.

My chest looks like this…too much space at the bottom[/quote]

you cant change the shape of any muscle only make it bigger or smaller.

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]Cron391 wrote:
Is it possible to “change” the shape of your pecs? I mean I know muscle shape is largely genetic…but dam we all werent blessed with a large square chest.

My chest looks like this…too much space at the bottom[/quote]

you cant change the shape of any muscle only make it bigger or smaller.[/quote]

Fuck…indulge me a little

put some synthol in it, you’ll be aight

As far as muscle bellies and insertions it’s luck of the draw and purely genetic. My chest is similar to the one above, you’ve just gotta do the best with what you’ve been given

that being said you can emphasize parts of a muscle to give a different look.

At least the guy in the picture can salvage some grace with the fact the his sternal attachment points are still optimal from the mid to upper sternum. I’ve seen guys with sizeable gaps from the bottom all the way to the top; completely exposed sternum. If your gap is only at the bottom, consider yourself somewhat lucky but not blessed in the pec department.

As has been mentioned nothing can be done about it other than focusing on full development and hoping you have other areas of your physique which are superior enough to overshadow it.

Short pecs, in my opinion, are more aesthetically distracting than short biceps or calves. In the latter two cases, you can still maxinmize brachialis/brachioradalis development and soleus development. With short pecs, that exposed sternum can’t be “camouflaged” with any surrounding musculature.

muscle atatchments are what they are, you can build the muscle up, but the shape can’t be changed.The older I get, the less I believe in even being able to emphasize, one area of a muscle over another. Muscles contract or not, if you feel one part more than anonther(during workout, or next day) probably the exersize is stressing the atatchment at that end of the muscle, and might cause injury over time.

I’m not a BB so these risks might be somthing, you have to deal with on a risk–reward basis.More and more of these new pro’s comming out, are talking about useing same two or three exercizes for years, their genetic shape alows them to just enlare the muscle, and science is telling them they can’t shape the muscle, so exercize variety for these guys is becomming mute. This might be the reason bb’s and pl’s routines are becoming more similar,

Franco Columbu took an oddly-shaped set of pecs and made them on one the most remarkably developed pecs in BBing history.

Even Arnold commented on how odd Franco’s chest was in the beginning.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Franco Columbu took an oddly-shaped set of pecs and made them on one the most remarkably developed pecs in BBing history.

Even Arnold commented on how odd Franco’s chest was in the beginning. [/quote]

Yeah, but this is about how it hits the sternum. There ain’t shit you can do about that. I have posted pics before of bodybuilders like that. The only thing you can do is make them so big that the size is the main focus.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Franco Columbu took an oddly-shaped set of pecs and made them on one the most remarkably developed pecs in BBing history.

Even Arnold commented on how odd Franco’s chest was in the beginning. [/quote]

Yeah, but this is about how it hits the sternum. There ain’t shit you can do about that. I have posted pics before of bodybuilders like that. The only thing you can do is make them so big that the size is the main focus.[/quote]

True. But I was using Franco’s odd split in his chest as an example. He built some of the most impressive upper pecs out of a supposed/perceived “weakness”.

And yes, it was the amount of size he built there that made the difference.

You can kind of reshape your pecs because they are mainly 2 muscles. There is the smaller, upper “clavicular” part and the larger, lower “sternal” part. Enlarging the upper part makes your chest more “bodybuilderish.” This also makes it look rounder and less like a real female tit. I have brought up the upper muscle of my chest in the past year and some people have commented on how I changed the shape, but I actually just increased the size of the upper part in proportion to the lower part… Your pecs will also look better if they are in proportion to the adjacent muscles such as your deltoids, upper arms, and to a lesser degree the lats and the rest of your body.