T Nation

Re-Maxed with Unsatisfactory Results

this passed week it was time to remax. my one rep max increase on my power clean, my deadlift and my snatch. but my bench and squat maxes were unsatisfactory. those days i had come down with a respiratory infection. my bench was 25 pounds under what it was and my squat was 40 pounds under. i know this is most likely because i was sick. but ive recovered quite a bit, and am considering re maxing this week to get a better picture. thoughts?

I feel like all this time spent maxing is time you could spend instead getting stronger, which would in turn improve your maxes.

There’s no need to max again really, like pwnisher said its just going to cut into time you could be training instead of testing. No one just magically loses 40lbs on their squat all of a sudden especially a younger lifter.

my coach designed the programming so i basically max when he tells me to. I agree that maybe maxing as often as we do is a waste. but its his program and i dont really know what to do about it. the only reason im considering re doing them healthy is because im on a percentage based program. and i don’t want to be training with the wrong numbers.

Either you trust your coaches programming enough that you will seek him for advice on his program, or you distrust him enough that you will stop following his programming. Trying to do this halfway thing where you follow his advice sometimes but other times rely on internet strangers is just going to make your training worse.

Any kind of program based on maxes from when you were sick is retarded.

Don’t worry about an unsatisfactory max when you were sick. I’m with T3hPwnisher on the trust issue. There’s nothing wrong with asking for opinions, but either you buy into your coach’s method or not. Have you considered talking about this to your coach?

[quote]wyolifter wrote:
i know this is most likely because i was sick. but ive recovered quite a bit, and am considering re maxing this week to get a better picture. thoughts?[/quote]

LOL Sorry dude but that’s hilarious. How was your pre-sickness training? Did you feel you were getting stronger. Keep in mind it may take more than a week to return to full strength.