T Nation

Re-learned Lessons 4 Over-35

I am sitting here uncomfortably at 8:30 CST, on my 37th birthday. I have been awake since 4:30am unable to sleep. My wife and kids are all asleep and I am pondering in the stillness of my house my lessons learned.

Why an I sitting uncomfotably? On Thanksgiving, I played a game of football with relatives and stupidly didn’t warm up. On the 2nd play, I am sprinting when I feel my hamstring (my only good one, due to a motorcylce accident), “pop”. Now I have a severe pull / minor “tear” that will probably take a month to heal. Lessons:

Warm up, stupid.
You’re not in your 20’s.
Respect your limitations.
Get off of the recline bike and run more. Tabatas are your friend.
Its hard to go to the bathroom with a sore Hamstring.

Its sucks getting old. Good thing my 26-year old wife things its sexy when I’m all gimpy.

Happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone.

[quote]Gerg wrote:
Its sucks getting old. .[/quote]

37? Brahahahahaha.

I’m “only” 30, yet I can feel a significant difference while performing physical activity. It’s probably because I’ve punished my body every day for the last 17 yrs. I’ve learned/relearned the following:

Ice is your friend
Advil is your friend
I can’t eat certain things anymore
Warming up isn’t for wusses
It’s harder to get back into work shape
Stuff cracks, get used to it
I can tell when it’s going to rain by listening to my body

I think middle age starts in the 40s. So 37 is not old. To paraphase Churchill, this is not end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it may be the end of the beginning.

I didn’t think 30 year olds were even allowed to post here:)

[quote]onewall wrote:
I think middle age starts in the 40s. So 37 is not old. To paraphase Churchill, this is not end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it may be the end of the beginning.

I didn’t think 30 year olds were even allowed to post here:)[/quote]

Careful what you say, son, or us 46-year-olds will beat you over the head with our canes.

Hope ya heal up soon and come back stronger and wiser. I’m down and out myself with a fractured elbow.

Playing B-ball and tore all tendons that attach quad to knee. @ surgeries later I actually feel my age…40…slow down and think.

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
Gerg wrote:
Its sucks getting old. .

37? Brahahahahaha.

[/quote]

No shit. I wasn’t at my strongest or most fit until I was in my mid 40s. 37 is not fucking old. Not even close. – However, I will be at a new personal best appearace / bfat wise, if not strength wise) by the end of jan - as long as I remember to warm up. :slight_smile:

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
Gerg wrote:
Its sucks getting old. .

37? Brahahahahaha.

[/quote]
A few weeks ago I raged on another thread about injuring my right knee on leg extentions…Since then I’ve added a strain to my left erector doing rows…Today, I got in the squat rack for the first time in weeks to see where I’m at(after stretching warmups first). 1 set, bar only, 15 careful reps: slight “i’m still here” pains, but all good otherwise…Slap on 25 per side and do 5X5, all good careful reps, minimal pain. Stopped and moved on to other leg work, happy that I’m on the way back, slowly but surely, if I keep my ego out of it (and yes there were others squatting big weights nearby, sneering at my work I’m sure)…The point? I’m over 50 and working around injuries is gonna’ be a fact of life for you from now on, so accept the reality and never give up!

Same age here, but didnt someone said “Its all in your mind”.
next time u play football,dont go wide go short and do laterals its more fun!!
get well and thereafter do stretches when finished your workouts, dont do recline, I though those were off-limits for the t-men. :stuck_out_tongue:

p.s- happy b-day