Re-introducing Carbs

Hi friends,

For the past 6 months or so I have been experimenting with a low carb/high fat diet. I have enjoyed the results and it had suited my goals. Although a little flatter, I feel leaner, less bloated and less weighed down.

For the past few weeks I have noticed that I have been lacking in performance in the gym and things have kind of stalled a bit. I want to re-introduce carbs but I am wondering about the best way of doing it. I already have 1-2 carb re-feeds a week which usually is a baked sweet potato or a occasionally a homemade thin crust pizza. I still want to enjoy the benefits of the low carb/high fat lifestyle, but just need a little extra performance boost for the gym.

Am I better off having more carbs in the meal before a training session, or would it be best to keep it for the post-workout meal? As my body is used to low carbs, do I need to reintroduce them into my diet slowly? Anybody else have any experience in this??

tweet

How much red meat are you eating?

Iā€™ve done keto for a while and experienced the same things, though reintroducing carbs never ended well (for me personally)

The answer for me was to introduce small portions of red meat until a sweet spot is found. It helped increase strength and fullness to a level Iā€™m happy with. Crazy pumps with the right amount of red meat while on zero carbs - go figure = )

Very interesting.

How did you re-introduce carbs? And what happened that made it an unfavorable experience?

I eat red meat (beef and lamb) about 4 days out of 7. The rest of the week its eggs, chicken and fish.

tweet

Cool, your diet sounds similar to mine - I do a lot of eggs and rotate between salmon and steak

Adding carbs just smooths me out - I recently started throwing in 100g of carbs and all the life long crappy side effects I had pre keto came roaring back:

-Iā€™m getting fat and holding water like a motherfucker. I hope this settles down, but in hindsight I always held water in the past when even on a low dose of test.

-The small skin rash Iā€™d had my entire adult life is now making a return with carbs.

-Iā€™d forgotten about digestive distress that Iā€™d experienced my whole life on even moderate carbs. Taking a crap each morning was quick and pleasant on keto. Now itā€™s back to its old former self.

Overall I feel like shit and really donā€™t want to ride it outā€¦ my bloodwork on keto was absolutely stellar, and Iā€™m guessing itā€™s going to go back to being sub standard soon, though only time will tell.

I donā€™t feel any more pumped with 100 carbs than I did on keto - and I know from past experience that 100g works for my body. At the age of 41 on TRT/Keto I actually feel better than I did at 24 on more gear and moderate carbs. This is just my experience though.

For some reason moderate sized junk refeeds donā€™t seem to bring out any of the negatives. I went a long time without refeeds, but suspect Iā€™d be happier doing them than ā€˜doing carbsā€™ again

cheers

1 Like

Interesting.

I have entertained the idea of amping up my carb refeeds, but that runs the risk of me developing an unhealthy relationship with food. In the past, my cheat meal of a takeaway burger and shake had somehow turned into a couple of burgers, fries, shake and a tub of ice-cream to wash it all down. Thats why now I limit my refeeds to more ā€œhealthierā€ options of baked potatoes and homemade pizzas.

tweet

2 Likes

When I did keto a couple of years ago, I had the same problem in terms of gym performance, and also felt a bit shit generally. It just seems to be unsustainable, for someone like me at least.

Itā€™s great that your refeeds are clean, I just think that slowly ramping your carbs up (maybe 50g at a time) would be the best way to go. Really canā€™t see that making you gain a load of fat if your total calories are on-point.

However, I canā€™t speak from experience if test is in the mix.

Iā€™ve never really done it, but if I were to do so itā€™d be:

-Calculate maintenance calories (Iā€™d just go by BW x 15. Not perfect but whatevs)
-1g of protein per lb of BW as per usual
-150g of carbs
-rest from fats

2 weeks like that and see how I feel.

That sounds like a solid plan and kind of close to what I was going for (iā€™m super carb sensitive though so I went for 100)

Whatā€™s your diet usually look like? I remember you mentioning heart health being important and am kind of curious to know your thoughts

cheers

not really anything exciting. When Iā€™m cutting I do BW x 10 calories and eat pretty much nothing but turkey, spinach and olive oil. When Iā€™m gaining I do calories x 20+ (have pushed it way higher in the past and learned the hard way I donā€™t gain actual muscle any faster, so now I keep it a little more sensible), when Iā€™m maintaining I just kind of let my hunger dictate what I eat and keep the food choices sensible.

In terms of what I eat itā€™s a lot of beef and turkey (I but them both ground because itā€™s super easy to add stuff to); a shitload of vegetables, mostly spinach, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes; and I cheat once a week as a social thing with mates or a girl Iā€™m either having sex with or trying to achieve sex with.

So nothing really ground breaking or interesting. I had some blood work a few months ago and my lipid profile came back fucking sexy as anything so I think my heart is likely in a good place, (but weirdly my thyroid appears to be totally fucked. I have a couple of the symptoms associated with thyroid problems but not the really serious ones, so weā€™re going to retest soon), however my resting heart rate sits a little high which Iā€™ve been meaning to do something about for a while. Cardio. Eurgh.

3 Likes

Hi there,

I transitioned from a keto to moderate carb diet. What worked for me was to gradually replace fat calories with carbs. Initially I dropped 200 Kcals of fat from my post workout meal and replaced them with starchy carbs and monitored my progress over a few weeks. For me all was good initially so I replaced some of the fat from my pre workout meal with some complex carbs and monitored progress again. For me it was just continuing that process until I was having a decent amount of carbs with every meal. It was only at that point did I look at increasing calories. Throughout that process I continued to lose fat.

This approach may be too cautious for some but for me it saved me from freaking out about unintended fat gain.

1 Like

I hear you - thyroid and cortisol seem to be the bitch of low carb dieting. We can mitigate the cortisol with a bit of gear, but have you tried an iodine supplement for thyroid?

I recently found some old kelp tablets and pounded them rather than binning them (because Iā€™m an idiot) and I swear I leaned out to the point of feeling catabolic for a couple of weeks. Bloods showed elevated TSH compared to the previous draw also

I wasnā€™t dieting or anything at the time, only got the bloodwork to see where I was at in terms of HPTA recovery. I have started taking iodine but I was reading the other day you want to be taking selenium with it and Iā€™ve not added that yet. Yet more supplements!

Thanks for the info friends.

Another thing I mentioned is that I hate counting and weighing. I had done it for awhile before, so I am pretty good at eye-balling. I think I will add moderate amount of carbs (approx 60-80 grams) in my meal before any training, and look to reduce some fat.

tweet