T Nation

Re: Cool Tips for Traps

First, I realize that developed Traps are basically aesthetic. That being said, about the only direct Trap work I get, is pulling my shoulder blades back at the start of pulldowns and rows, due to a herniated L-4, and bulging L-3/L-5. Of course, this rules out heavy, compressive exercise. Any suggestions?

Corrective surgery?

are light weight power snatches out of the question for you? they work the traps really well. why do you think that traps are aesthetic only? they are very important stabilizers. I don’t do direct shoulder shrugs but i have developed decent traps from olympic lifts and deadlifts. laters pk

Snoop- Any surgery around the spinal column is inherently risky. As yet, there is only experimental surgeries to repair discs. I do not believe in Disc removal/vertebral fusing. Too much loss of flexibility, never mind height.

Pkradgreek- I can do anything once…seriously, no matter how light, if it’s compressive, eventually the disc(s) will impinge the nerve, with painful, sometimes catastrophic results.

It has been only monthly chiropractic adjustments, which have kept me from chronic disability.

Check out this article by Don Alessi, it may help you get some ideas about you trap training and make you rethink the whole “traps are only aesthetic” comment. Hope it helps.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459910

Jeff

I would like to add on to the discussion of traps by asking:

While doing deads, would it be unnecessary to perform an additional shrug movement at the peak of the exercise? Or, can it only help?

Goal: hypertrophy.

Thanks

MartinL,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The only exercise I can think of that you may be able to do is dumbbell shrugs on an incline bench. Sit on an incline bench with your chest resting on the pad and your arms hanging at your sides. Have someone hand you some dumbbells and shrug like you normally would. Those might work for you being that your body will be supported by the bench. Some of the spinal compression may also be eliminated since you’ll be on an angle.

I have absolutely no experience with back injuries so I’m not sure if that will work for you or not. Just a thought.

[quote]tzoley wrote:
While doing deads, would it be unnecessary to perform an additional shrug movement at the peak of the exercise? Or, can it only help?
Thanks[/quote]

i know that i can’t shrug the maximal weight that i can deadlift. I guess for lower intensity deadlifts, adding a shrug would be good for hypertrophy. The reason why deads make your traps grow is because of the isometric contraction and tension that maximal weight generates. laters pk

[quote]Built Big wrote:
MartinL,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The only exercise I can think of that you may be able to do is dumbbell shrugs on an incline bench. Sit on an incline bench with your chest resting on the pad and your arms hanging at your sides. Have someone hand you some dumbbells and shrug like you normally would. Those might work for you being that your body will be supported by the bench. Some of the spinal compression may also be eliminated since you’ll be on an angle.
I have absolutely no experience with back injuries so I’m not sure if that will work for you or not. Just a thought.
[/quote]

good suggestion. definitely worth a try. laters pk

[quote]pkradgreek wrote:
tzoley wrote:
Thanks

i know that i can’t shrug the maximal weight that i can deadlift. I guess for lower intensity deadlifts, adding a shrug would be good for hypertrophy. The reason why deads make your traps grow is because of the isometric contraction and tension that maximal weight generates. laters pk[/quote]

So would maximal lift deads (without a shrug movement) be more beneficial to hypertrophic trap development than isolation exercises for the trap (such as barbell shrugs)? That may be a dumb question given that Chad just said how to get titan traps, but I need to know if I need to add in barbell shrugs to my workout plan in addition to deadlifts (or an added shrug movement during the deadlift excercise). My program is ABBH. Thanks!!!

i would definitely add shrugs to your routine if hypertrophy was your goal. i like Chad W. recommendation because i think it would help with olympic lifts also. laters pk

Correct me if I’m wrong, Martin, but I believe herniated and bulging discs are the same.It is just an interchangeable term.

There is a diffference between herniated and bulging discs.

A disc bulge is just that, a bulge or protrution of the disc so it doesnt have the normal anatomical shape.

A disc herniation is different. The disc has ruptured or split open and part of the disc center, the nucleus pulposus, which has the consistency of crab meat is ejected into the articular space, into the nerve roots, or into the spinal foramin (hole the spinal cord runs thru).

Both can push or encroach upon the nerves and cause pain. Many people have disc bulges and never have pain.

Most spinal surgons will not operate unless there is a form of nerve deficit such as weakness or you cant feel your foot. Some will for pain only, but those are few.

An MD I know who performs accupuncture just bought an apparatus that is used to help eleviate disc bulge and herniation pain for those who are not surgical candidates.

I’d look into this if I had chronic pain from a bulge.

Chewman- Correct you are. Do you know the name of the apparatus? Thanks.

have you tried any electro stimulation to relieve the pain? if not look into it. Do you do any physical therapy? laters pk

Ok.I was under the assumption, based on what my doctor had told me, that they were the same.I was diagnosed with a bulging disc(L4-L5).Interesting.

Have you tried rehab with the reverse hyper?

Try seated Db shrugs for sets of 15. The weight will be a lot lighter and there is very little cheating.

My back is in similar condition. I went and bought an inversion table and have had a lot less pain since. My PT had me doing it in his office and got me hooked.

[quote]MartinL wrote:
Chewman- Correct you are. Do you know the name of the apparatus? Thanks.[/quote]

I am awaiting an email from a guy that will have the name. Once I get the email I will pass it on to this thread.

[quote]MartinL wrote:
Chewman- Correct you are. Do you know the name of the apparatus? Thanks.[/quote]

MartinL

My firend got back with me. And here is the website for the company that sells the machine.

http://www.spinaprogram.com/

Now the task is to find someone in your area with one.

It looks to be a specific traction creating device that does a few more tricks than just traction. The site claims 86% to 94% success.