RDL Problems

My goal is to improve my deadlift. I deadlift sumo style, and i am working on my deficit lifting, but also need to work on my upper body strength for recreational sports. Going for performance, not size.

I really do doubt that your eccentric is your weak link, it is far more likely to be a form issue but I wouldn’t make that call without video.

Here is my form for the Partial Deadlift. It is the same weight i would have used with RDL (280), but I only could get 3 reps in good form instead of five.

Sorry for the picture being sideways. That makes it tough to see, but it should give you my form. The no-shirt was so that you could see my lower back, not because i think i am strong.

Go back and read post two, he hit it pretty right only thing I would add is if you feel your weight on your heels you got it right if not try again.

Simply put not sure you are doing RDLs from what you are posting. partial dead of some type yeah, but RDL is a specfic exercise.

and try lighter weight more speed it is not generally a max weight lift

^ x2

Watch what your butt is doing in the video, relative to the rack. I think you can push back more.

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:
Here is my form for the Partial Deadlift. It is the same weight i would have used with RDL (280), but I only could get 3 reps in good form instead of five.[/quote]

You’re not suggesting your RDL should be roughly equal to your rack pull are ya??

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
Positive. I like to do RDL to the floor and deloading the weight, but I’ve done them the “normal” way, too.[/quote]

I really doubt you have the flexibility to keep your back arched tight, stay on your heel’s, and keep your legs stiff and close to straight while pushing your ass way back while you go all the way down to the floor in 1 second.

With the proper arch it and form it takes to do RDL’s I doubt I could get the bar to the floor, much less in 1 second while keeping the tension on my posterior chain.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
honest_lifter wrote:
Here is my form for the Partial Deadlift. It is the same weight i would have used with RDL (280), but I only could get 3 reps in good form instead of five.

You’re not suggesting your RDL should be roughly equal to your rack pull are ya??[/quote]

I sure hope he isnt.

If your doing romanian deadlifts with your rack pull weight then something is wrong.

[quote]Mega Newb wrote:
Hanley wrote:
honest_lifter wrote:

You’re not suggesting your RDL should be roughly equal to your rack pull are ya??

I sure hope he isnt.

If your doing romanian deadlifts with your rack pull weight then something is wrong.[/quote]

That is the thing! My rack pull weight (shown in video) is the weight I use for my RDL. Except my RDL, i can actually get 5 reps out and these partials i could only get 3. What would cause this discrepancy?

Mega Newb wrote:
Hanley wrote:
honest_lifter wrote:

I sure hope he isnt.

If your doing romanian deadlifts with your rack pull weight then something is wrong.

That is the thing! My rack pull weight (shown in video) is the weight I use for my RDL. Except my RDL, i can actually get 5 reps out and these partials i could only get 3. What would cause this discrepancy?
[/quote]

You arent doing th RDL’s right

many people end up doing them like normal deadlifts stopping just before their knee’s

Just out of curiosity, how far should one go when doing an RDL rep? (not sarcasm)

depends on how flexible you are but I like to take 'em about mid shin. Whatever the glutes/hams will allow while keeping an arched or straight back.

Just out of curiosity, how far should one go when doing an RDL rep? (not sarcasm)[/quote]

Depends on the weight. Your body has inbuilt defenses from self destruction. Lighter weights may get you more depth (lower to floor) in GMs & RDLs. With the heavier weights the tension in the muscles can cause you to lock up in a higher position.

Light weights, you maybe able to touch the floor but with heavy weights the leverage, change in balance, muscle tension etc may lock you higher.

Mega Newb wrote:
Hanley wrote:
honest_lifter wrote:

I sure hope he isnt.

[/quote]

My, you are stubborn.

If I do a 1/8th back squat, it may be way better than my dead, but even if I call it ATG or parrallel or a 1/2 squat it is still a 1/8th squat.

Please read all the replies, the answers are there

Are there any older or more experienced lifters around who you can draw on for opinions ??

the difference in range of motion between my RDL and my Partial Dead is about 2 inches, and you saw a video of my partial. I am sure i can dig up a video of my RDL

the difference in range of motion between my RDL and my Partial Dead is about 2 inches, and you saw a video of my partial. I am sure i can dig up a video of my RDL[/quote]

romanian deadlifts and rack pulls are very different from each other.

And when it comes right down to it, who gives a shit if your rack pull truly is weaker than your Romanian deadlift? Just work on your rack pull and that will be the end of it.

I am currently lifting the RDL at 275 for 5 reps. My problem is my concentric portion can EASILY to 315, but my lowering phase is killing me. I have to give it everything i got to lower that bar without flexing my back. Any suggestions about how to fix this problem? [/quote]

I do stiff leg deadlifts standing about 12 inches away from the wall. I push my butt back, as straight back as possible until it touches the wall.