T Nation

RDL Problems

I am currently lifting the RDL at 275 for 5 reps. My problem is my concentric portion can EASILY to 315, but my lowering phase is killing me. I have to give it everything i got to lower that bar without flexing my back. Any suggestions about how to fix this problem?

Push your hips back (you should be on your heels), keep your lats engaged (shoulders down and back), and keep your belly full of air on both parts of the rep.

Just throwing some ideas out there. How much lower back (and upper, for that matter) work do you do? I did RDL’s for the first time just a while ago in a long time, and I noticed the same thing. I can tell I’m gonna have to target my lower back a lot more now.

I do mostly back work. The only thing i do for my chest is dips. Also, i noticed that i was feeling the weakest at about midback, so i decided to add good mornings, which i do with about 135 now. Also my dips i do bw(175) + 50 and chins i do bw + 20. I feel with the concentric on RDL i could do about 350.

As a side point, sumo deadlifts never fail if i can break them off the floor even an inch. Also, now mater how hard i have trained it, my lower back never gets sore.

I appreciate the help.

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:
Just throwing some ideas out there. How much lower back (and upper, for that matter) work do you do? I did RDL’s for the first time just a while ago in a long time, and I noticed the same thing. I can tell I’m gonna have to target my lower back a lot more now.[/quote]

I keep my form exactly perfect every rep. Monday, i am going to post a video of me doing RDL for my normal 5 rep set.

Why don’t you just drop it? Well, maybe not just drop it, but there’s no reason to let it down gently. It probably shouldn’t take more than a second to lower.

Dropping the bar in RDLs? Normally you don’t go all the way to the ground.

If you need work in your mid back you might want to try Trap Bar DL or Crazy-Bell squats. These two seem to really hit my mid back. GMs are awesome too.

I would keep doing the RDLs though. It’ll work itself out if your form is good and and you add a few more movements.

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
Why don’t you just drop it? Well, maybe not just drop it, but there’s no reason to let it down gently.[/quote]

Then you would not get the benefit of RDL. It is a stretch loader, nice controlled load then spring back the way you came, using the stretch.

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:

i noticed that i was feeling the weakest at about midback, so i decided to add good mornings, which i do with about 135 now.

[/quote]

That might be your issue. By contrast I do seated GMs roundback for reps below = with 220, 220 for reps with OL style gms coming on toes and slightly leaping off ground with back 30deg from =

and my RDLs I like anything from 176 to 264 depending on day. More weight less strectch.
The up is always easy and the lowering is always a contest to see if my back will hold form.

I very seldom do deads but last was 440 x4 . Not big weights, I am no PL so not interested in big deads but am interested in strong PC.

Do some specific lower back occasionally and keep with the GMs.

[quote]GMH454 wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
Why don’t you just drop it? Well, maybe not just drop it, but there’s no reason to let it down gently.

Then you would not get the benefit of RDL. It is a stretch loader, nice controlled load then spring back the way you came, using the stretch.

[/quote]

Oh, I was confused. I thought the point was to strengthen your posterior chain by lifting some heavy-ass weight off the ground. I didn’t know it was a stretch.

GMH454 wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
Why don’t you just drop it? Well, maybe not just drop it, but there’s no reason to let it down gently.

Oh, I was confused. I thought the point was to strengthen your posterior chain by lifting some heavy-ass weight off the ground. I didn’t know it was a stretch.

[/quote]

Not actually what I said

So the hardest part of the RDL is suppose to be the eccentric?

That seems backwards of most every exercise. Why is that the case?

It’s not, in my experience.

It’s not, in my experience.[/quote]

Are you sure your not thinking of regular ol’ conventional deadlifts from the floor?

Positive. I like to do RDL to the floor and deloading the weight, but I’ve done them the “normal” way, too.

Positive. I like to do RDL to the floor and deloading the weight, but I’ve done them the “normal” way, too.[/quote]

Isn’t that just an SLDL then?

I think there is some confusion about what a RDL is. Knees bend (but not too much), butt is pushed back hard. You can go all the way to the floor, but most people don’t.

It should be like an arch-backed, bent knee Good Morning with the bar in your hands instead of on your back.

Now would just doing partial off the rack where i can set the weight down after each rep be more effective? I am really trying to increase my CONCENTRIC strength, that is why it bothers me that my eccentric is my weak link.

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:
Now would just doing partial off the rack where i can set the weight down after each rep be more effective? I am really trying to increase my CONCENTRIC strength, that is why it bothers me that my eccentric is my weak link. [/quote]

What exactly is your goal?