RDL Applications

I used to do all my deadlifts the RDL way, where you start at the top and only go down to below your knees.

Then i started training more powerlifting style, and started doing every rep from the floor at a complete stop, and pulling sumo.

Im wondering what is the application for the RDL. You must use less weight right, since your going to have to do a slow eccentric?

How do you guys use these, im wanting to work them into my routine, because im gonna try to build some muscle, and feel that the constant tension in these is a good idea. My forearms used to be much bigger than now.

I use RDL or really a hybrid RDL/SLDL all the time. Honestly, it by FAR my best hamstring exercise. I use it primarily as a supplemental movement after my main movement on my max effort or dynamic effort day. I have never used a GHR machine to compare it too, nor do I have one available, so this is what I do instead.

I’ve recently started doing concentric-only RDLs. Too soon to tell how they’re working, though.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
I’ve recently started doing concentric-only RDLs. Too soon to tell how they’re working, though.[/quote]

Whats a concentric only RDL. Isn’t that a rack pull?

Dan Johns explanation of a RDL sounds alot like a Dimel Deadlift. Anyone know if they are the same lift?

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
Dan Johns explanation of a RDL sounds alot like a Dimel Deadlift. Anyone know if they are the same lift?[/quote]

A Dimel deadlift is just a high rep RDL done super fast.

RDLs are a supplemental exercise for the posterior chain. Lighter weights are used because you’re trying to make the exercise as much pure hip extension as possible. In order to have more hip extension, you don’t bend your knees any more than you need to comfortably execute the exercise. This makes your back/torso more parallel to the ground than it ever is in a normal deadlift. You also can’t lift as much weight in an RDL because you shouldn’t be using your quads much at all.
RDLs are usually done with a slightly wider grip that you would use for a clean.

[quote]dankid wrote:
rmccart1 wrote:
I’ve recently started doing concentric-only RDLs. Too soon to tell how they’re working, though.

Whats a concentric only RDL. Isn’t that a rack pull?
[/quote]

There is no knee extension in an RDL.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:

There is no knee extension in an RDL.
[/quote]

Theres a tiny bit.

There is not enough knee extension to produce a training effect, which means…

there is no knee extension. Seriously, what was even the point of that? Feel better?

rmcart1, who is that girl in your avatar?