T Nation

Razors: Electric or Traditional

[quote]Kuz wrote:
I read that MSNBC article about the products, but I am curious about your personal experience with these kinds of razors. Is it truly THAT much better of a shaving experience? Any details you can provide? It seems like a great product, but unless I heard from someone else with a very positive experience, it seems like a lot of cash to plunk down.[/quote]

Ok im my shaving experience ive only shaved traditionally using disposable, different model gillettes, a wilkinson razor and a couple others.
Since using a model very similar to the murkur ive stuck with it and not changed. It will feel a bit bulky in the hand at first but you adjust and it now feels great. Follow a propper shaving routine too - if you rush then its just not the same imo.

Id recommend it, also the razors work out economically when compared to a model like the mach 3, so what you shell out for the razor you will get back in the blades. I pay ?1.69 for 10 wilkinson blades (they fit numerous models of this type) - that lasts a good couple of months easy.

A buddy of mine bought the vibrating Mach 3, said it was no different than any other mach 3.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
supermick wrote:
reconbyfire wrote:
supermick wrote:
This is the beast im after.
Tried to upload earlier but didnt work, a lovely razor and probably too awkward and manly looking for the missus to borrow.
lovely.

Looks like Merkur ‘Futur’ Satin finish.

Great Razor!!!

Thats the one!
Im just shopping for a good deal, i know im gonna have to pay for quality but im all for paying less.
Merkur make some awesome male shaving products and since using similar models i can honestly feel the difference.

I read that MSNBC article about the products, but I am curious about your personal experience with these kinds of razors. Is it truly THAT much better of a shaving experience? Any details you can provide? It seems like a great product, but unless I heard from someone else with a very positive experience, it seems like a lot of cash to plunk down.[/quote]

I use a Merkur and a Mach3. The biggest key to the shaving experience is the badger hair brush. If you buy nothing except this type of brush, you will feel and see a world of difference. I have to shave up and down to clean my face. After using the brush to massage my facial hair with the soap/creme, I Just use a downward stroke (with the grain). Best investment for shaving.

I use a rusted lawnmower blade and motor oil for lubrication. You guys are pussies.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I use a rusted lawnmower blade and motor oil for lubrication. You guys are pussies.[/quote]

Wussy. Blood is the only real man lubricant.

[quote]reconbyfire wrote:
I use a Merkur and a Mach3. The biggest key to the shaving experience is the badger hair brush. If you buy nothing except this type of brush, you will feel and see a world of difference. I have to shave up and down to clean my face. After using the brush to massage my facial hair with the soap/creme, I Just use a downward stroke (with the grain). Best investment for shaving.
[/quote]

i second this with the brush especially as i hate badgers anyway.

seriously though, the brush makes a difference imo.

I use a rusted lawnmower blade and motor oil for lubrication. You guys are pussies.[/quote]

you use lubrication? pussy!

I tried that. After shaving I would replace the blade and mow the lawn. The lawn just didnt cut even anymore. I was wearing out those mower blades so damn fast , I just gave up on them. I also found transmission oil to be a bit more gentle on the skin than motor oil.

Beat me to it, X, but you left out gasoline for aftershave.

As for the vibrating razors, I’m giving that a whirl right now. I do notice a closer shave, but it’s about the same wrt irritation.

I wish I could find a way to stop the neck irritation.

Sensor 3 with Sensor 3 Blades for my face and a headblade with Gillette Atra Plus blades for my head. Was not a fan of electric for the face and it is virtually impossible to get a good head shave with one.

[quote]mica617 wrote:
I wish I could find a way to stop the neck irritation.[/quote]

I was never able to get rid of the irritation with an electric. Thats why I got rid of it.

You can try floating it over the neck, use electric preshave oil, or maybe replacing the blades.

Got meself a $50 badger hair brush, which I’ve been using with my new Gillette Fusion (the 5-blade thing). I know, everyone is recommending an old school razor instead, but I figured I’d try this out. I think the brush helps a tiny bit – but it would probably help more if I used old school cream, whereas I’ve been trying to use it with this high-tech gel, made by Anthony Logistics for Men, which is otherwise good but doesn’t really lather up, which is what the brush is supposed to help with (among other things). So the brush has given me maybe a teeny improvement, but nothing major yet.

Question for you guys who have been using the old school (Merkur-type) razors: I just can’t see how, especially on the neck and throat area, that could possibly be as comfortable as the modern Gillette Mach 3s or Fusions, which have those built-in lubricating strips. I find the lubricating strips are what makes them sooooo much more comfortable than cheap disposable cartridge razors. You really don’t tear your skin to shreds with these old school things?

Mach 3. Smoothest shave I’ve ever had.

Nuff’ Said.

Because my hair isn’t dark I can get away with using a trimmer.

I’m trying to bring back the scruffy look.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Question for you guys who have been using the old school (Merkur-type) razors: I just can’t see how, especially on the neck and throat area, that could possibly be as comfortable as the modern Gillette Mach 3s or Fusions, which have those built-in lubricating strips. I find the lubricating strips are what makes them sooooo much more comfortable than cheap disposable cartridge razors. You really don’t tear your skin to shreds with these old school things?
[/quote]

Gillette are getting a monopoly on razors. The lubrication strip does work but i splash a little extra out on shaving oil anyway. Try it - wash + oil then cream/foam on top then shave. No irritation.

Oil? What is this oil you’re referring to?

Thanks.

[quote]supermick wrote:
Damici wrote:

Gillette are getting a monopoly on razors. The lubrication strip does work but i splash a little extra out on shaving oil anyway. Try it - wash + oil then cream/foam on top then shave. No irritation.[/quote]

[quote]Damici wrote:

Thanks.
[/quote]

shaving oil so the razor glides on the face better, its cheap and lasts for ages. Dont know where youd get it from in the USA - a pharmacy, supermarket etc should stock it. Ebay also has loads if you search “shaving oil”. You jusy put a couple drops in a wet palm and smear it on the face, then lather on top of that. I swear by it.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=shaving+oil&category0=

This thread is so metro.

I use the cheapest disposables money can buy. Anything else is a gimmick.

I mean whats the point in getting a close shave anyway? In a few hours youve got stubble anyway so whats the point?

Interesting. It doesn’t cause you to break out at all?

[quote]supermick wrote:
Damici wrote:

Thanks.

shaving oil so the razor glides on the face better, its cheap and lasts for ages. Dont know where youd get it from in the USA - a pharmacy, supermarket etc should stock it. Ebay also has loads if you search “shaving oil”. You jusy put a couple drops in a wet palm and smear it on the face, then lather on top of that. I swear by it.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=shaving+oil&category0=[/quote]

[quote]comedypedro wrote:
This thread is so metro.

I use the cheapest disposables money can buy. Anything else is a gimmick.

I mean whats the point in getting a close shave anyway? In a few hours youve got stubble anyway so whats the point?[/quote]

o yeah i mean why get up in the morning when you only have to go bed again at night.
nob head.