T Nation

Razor Burn

This is definitely off of the topic here but I need to do something about this.

I keep getting vicious razor burn a day after I shave. It gets worse after I exercise.

I also grapple a few times a 2-3 times a week, and that definitely doesn’t help out the situation.

Right now I’m using Mach-3 razor with Barbasol for sensitive skin, Aftershave is gillette “cool” gel. About twenty minutes later I put a slather of aloe on.

So far it is not working and my face hurts. I’m about to make it worse because I am about to go grapple.

Suggestions anybody?

about the only useful tip I’ve ever garnered from Maxim is to shave in the shower. Worked wonders for a similar situation.

Same products in a more moist (not moister) situation.

Get an electric shaver and go for the “not so close” shave settings.

Heck, go for the trimmer (the thing they use to cut your hair) and use it to shave.

Grow a beard.

Mach-3 razor and I shave every 36 hours…sometimes 48. I don’t get razor burn when I wet my face and let the shaving cream sit on my face for a good while.

Shave in the shower and use a good shaving oil.

Try www.ultimate-shave.com

Grow a beard;-)

A buddy of mine had a similar, although not as bad problem. He switched over to Venus razors, the kind chicks use to shave their legs. They work with a mach 3 handle, but they have more moisturizing crap on them. Worked for my friend, might be worth trying if your girl uses them.

If you’re interested, go to www.menessentials.com

I recently found the site and the knowledge I’ve gained about skincare is equivalent to the knowledge I’ve gained about weight training from T-Nation.

Go to the Online Community and post your question (you have to register first), including your “shaving routine” and the products you use and I’m sure you will get knowledgeable responses, most likely from the MenEssentials owner and founder.

I had the same problem… I switched to the new sensitive skin Gillette skincare shave gel… not the gel that turns into foam, but the gel that stays gel. Easy to use, easy to shave, and I haven’t had razorburn since. I think it’ll run you about $5, so it’s worth the shot.

RIT Jared

Shaving right after a shower, or washing your face with hot water and soap before shaving is generally beneficial, supposedly it helps soften the hairs to make it easier to cut. Also, I’ve found that letting the blade soak in hot water for several minutes beforehand vastly improves the quality and feel of the shave.

Shave in the shower. I use Aveno Shaving gel and Mach 3 razor blades. I use to get a bad rash with electric razors. I tried shaving in the shower and using Aveno shaving gel, and I barely get any burn at all.

[quote]the MaxX wrote:
This is definitely off of the topic here but I need to do something about this.

I keep getting vicious razor burn a day after I shave. It gets worse after I exercise.

I also grapple a few times a 2-3 times a week, and that definitely doesn’t help out the situation.

Right now I’m using Mach-3 razor with Barbasol for sensitive skin, Aftershave is gillette “cool” gel. About twenty minutes later I put a slather of aloe on.

So far it is not working and my face hurts. I’m about to make it worse because I am about to go grapple.

Suggestions anybody? [/quote]

I used to get the same thing. Then I switched to an electric razor and since then no problems. Best of all you can shave in bed with it, and thus prolong the unpleasant task of getting up in the morning by a few precious minutes.

KING OF SHAVES

If you use electric, a trick I used to do was put baby powder on your face. Drastically reduces the razor burn.

RIT Jared

You can try a product called “Tend Skin”, Sephora has it and you can find it online. I use it post-waxing but had BF try it after shaving and it really reduces irritation.

Pm me for a good link to get tendskin bro, btw it works pretty well. However it does dry the shit out of your skin. And I would not put it on right after shaving, especially if you have any little cuts, especially if any of those cuts are on or around your nuts.

After you shave, before you apply your aftershave, wash your face with cold water. It will close up your pores. It works for me.

ShavedSnatch