T Nation

Raw Whole Milk vs Protein Powder

Due to $$$$$ reasons I can’t afford to order protein powder right now.

I am on a serious bulk right now and I can get a half gallon of raw milk for around a dollar or so more than two servings of Metabolic Drive Complete.

I know Metabolic Drive Complete has other good stuff like fiber in it but I take in 65 grams of fiber or so.

thoughts?

[quote]KO421 wrote:

I am on a serious bulk right now and I can get a half gallon of raw milk for around a dollar or so more than two servings of Metabolic Drive Complete.

I know Metabolic Drive Complete has other good stuff like fiber in it but I take in 65 grams of fiber or so.

thoughts?[/quote]

Do it.

only thing that kills milk for me is its actually fairly low in protein over all. less than the carbs and fat. So i tend to rather use it with a protein supp or meat.

other than that i also tend to go for the lower fat or skim versions. i get plenty of sats from my, meats, eggs, cheese etc.

but hey do what you have to it will add weight. i mean milk is naturally intended for growing babies.

Phill

I apologize for the diversion, but how do you get 65 grams of fiber per day?

I don’t see why you’d spend the money on a protein supplement if you’re getting enough through whole food sources already, since you’re bulking.
Now, if you were cutting a protein supplement would be important. But, thats not the case.

I say go with the raw milk.
Besides, thats what pirates drank…other than alcohol.

[quote]KO421 wrote:

thoughts?[/quote]

[quote]litespeed wrote:
I apologize for the diversion, but how do you get 65 grams of fiber per day?[/quote]

Thats an easy question, especially if someone is bulking.
The spinach I buy has whopping 14 grams of fiber per cup. I usually eat 2 cups. Thats 28 grams of fiber. Thats almost half right there.

[quote]litespeed wrote:
I apologize for the diversion, but how do you get 65 grams of fiber per day?[/quote]

Total: 4828
Fat: 151 1362 30%
Sat: 32 286 6%
Poly: 24 212 5%
Mono: 73 661 15%
Carbs: 458 1563 34%
Fiber: 67 0 0%
Protein: 403 1611 36%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

That is what my typical diet has been for the last few months
2 big Apples
4 ounces of raw almonds per day
1 cup of oatmeal
two BIG! bowls of chilli a day which has kidney beans, tomatoes, bellpeppers in it etc, loaded with fiber.

(those are just the things I eat that contain a good amount of fiber.)

If I was dieting I would consume more vegatables and still be able to maintain a high amount of fiber per day with lower calories. Plus I don’t think 65+ grahms is needed it is just the way my diet works out.

[quote]Phill wrote:
only thing that kills milk for me is its actually fairly low in protein over all. less than the carbs and fat. So i tend to rather use it with a protein supp or meat.

other than that i also tend to go for the lower fat or skim versions. i get plenty of sats from my, meats, eggs, cheese etc.

but hey do what you have to it will add weight. i mean milk is naturally intended for growing babies.

Phill

[/quote]

I agree with you Phill I have always mixed my protein with 2% but feeding the beast can get expensive! Lol $$ should be back in a about 2 months and I will make some big orders from Biotest.

Plus I found a place to get Raw milk and it only comes in whole. I have always heard the benefits of it over pasturized milk so I figure it is a better choice?

The stuff tastes REALLY good to, fresh from a local farm and in nice glass containers.

I would drink that raw milk! Raw milk is fantastic for you. I would check with your farmer and make sure that the cows are grass fed. Grass fed cows makes the raw milk a great choice. If they are grain fed, I would pass.

Raw milk rules. Which company make it? Organic Pastures is the best. I get raw organic whey from them (you have to get a special order from them). It’s really cheap and pure protein. Give it a try.

I, too, believe that you should drink your raw milk, and be grateful for it. Raw Milk, from pastured cows, contains CLA (which is good for Muscle gain, and fat loss, simultaneously), higher levels of Vitamin A (which is important for protein synthesis and CNS recovery) Calcium (for bones, muscle function and fat loss), has some vitamin C, digestive enzymes that aid in the digestion of lactose, and entirely un-denatured proteins. Raw milk is a great way to go.

check out:

http://www.realmilk.com/healthbenefits.html

[quote]designinme wrote:
I would drink that raw milk! Raw milk is fantastic for you. I would check with your farmer and make sure that the cows are grass fed. Grass fed cows makes the raw milk a great choice. If they are grain fed, I would pass.

[/quote]

Good point on the grass-fed. If they are grass fed, then go for it. Raw milk will benefit you much more than any synthetic crap.

[quote]jackson44 wrote:
Raw milk rules. Which company make it? Organic Pastures is the best. I get raw organic whey from them (you have to get a special order from them). It’s really cheap and pure protein. Give it a try. [/quote]

I’m guessing if you order from their website, they can only deliver in CA, right?

No, they deliver all over.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
No, they deliver all over.[/quote]

Are you sure they can ship to VA, or states where raw milk is illegal? I live in VA and I think only raw cheese is legal here.

Cthulhu, give them a call and see if you can’t order some raw milk for your “beloved pet.” There are states that don’t allow the sale of raw milk for people. That’s not to say it isn’t sold in the health food stores with the label, “Not Intended for Human Consumption.” (grin)

[quote]Tampa-Terry wrote:
Cthulhu, give them a call and see if you can’t order some raw milk for your “beloved pet.” There are states that don’t allow the sale of raw milk for people. That’s not to say it isn’t sold in the health food stores with the label, “Not Intended for Human Consumption.” (grin)[/quote]

Haven’t seen that.

But if I could get my hands on raw milk I wouldn’t need protein powders period.

[quote]Tampa-Terry wrote:
Cthulhu, give them a call and see if you can’t order some raw milk for your “beloved pet.” There are states that don’t allow the sale of raw milk for people. That’s not to say it isn’t sold in the health food stores with the label, “Not Intended for Human Consumption.” (grin)[/quote]

LOL!

I will look into that.
Thanks for the info Terry.

Organic Pastures does deliver outside of CA. I had them deliver some products here to Nebraska. However, it is ridiculously expensive for the shipping, so be warned. And yes, the product does come in a box labeled as pet food.

It is rather ridiculous what we have to go through to get a food product that is healthier than what you can buy in the stores in every possible way. I feel like a goddamn mobster during the Prohibition Era, except that I’m trying to smuggle a health food.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.