Raw / Uncooked Oatmeal

Is there a problem with eating raw/uncooked oatmeal?

I believe it was JB that said it was his carb of choice, so I’d like to add more of it into my diet. That said I cant stand the taste of cooked oatmeal, but I dont mind eating it raw.

Does anyone see a problem with this? Or am I setting myself up for a Chinese torture?

Nothing wrong with that at all. Same, maybe even more nutrient value raw and much more paletable. I have a shake in the morning with a cup of dry oatmeal, 1.5 scoops of protein powder, 1.5 cups of milk, 3 tablespoons of flax and a 1/2 cup of blueberries. Tastes great and really kickstarts the day.

It is fine IMO. I often blend it in my protein shakes…haven’t keeled over yet.

Just put milk in it and eat it like cereal. I sometimes put a little water in it, warm it up a little in the micowave and squirt a little honey or pancake syrup in it for taste.

I eat it like cereal that way sometimes also. Throw in some dried fruit (without added sugar) and you’ve got the ultimate gastric sweeper.

For me, it’s 60g oatmeal plus around 40g fruits + 1 scoop chocolat protein powder… Berardi adds an omelet if I remember well…

all i need is a bottle of water and a pack of oatmeal and i got a snack pour the outmeal in your mouth chase it down with water

Actually it’s even better to eat the oats raw. The body can digest the oats even better and faster, keeping all it’s nutrients which cooking slightly takes away. So your doing great by eating them raw. I too sometimes it my oats raw like cold cereal, but I use Almond milk with some Stevia or Splenda and cinnamon. Even add some fresh Blue berries. It tastes great!

[quote]Relentless wrote:
For me, it’s 60g oatmeal plus around 40g fruits + 1 scoop chocolat protein powder… Berardi adds an omelet if I remember well…[/quote]

I got to experience this oatmeal/omelette combo first hand yesterday… all I can say is that it was AMAZING!

Oh, I can also say that I think he was trying to drug me… because I slept for a total of 14.5 hours when I got home!

Sketchy…

If I remember correctly raw oats has a lower glycemic index value than the cooked version. Depending on when you eat it this could be an advantage.

When I was in grade school many years ago, a recipe was passed around the students, involving a sugary warm mixture with raw oatmeal stirred in, and placed on wax paper. I loved the stuff, but do not have, or remember the recipe.

I searched online and found some recipes with sugar and butter, or sugar, butter, and peanut butter. I have been thinking of trying to use sucrolose in place of the sugar and see how it turns out. Just haven?t gotten around to trying it yet.

You could always make low sugar granola?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17135,00.html

Modify for nutritional soundness as you see fit.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
I eat it like cereal that way sometimes also. Throw in some dried fruit (without added sugar) and you’ve got the ultimate gastric sweeper.[/quote]

Try this with the Steel Cut Oats version and you have a gastric snow plow!

Raw oats, milk, banana, yoghurt, some kind of protein powder.

Yum!

LOL! What was amazing about it? I couldn’t take those omelets anymore. Way to watery! Is that just the way it is when using egg whites or was I missing something?

Oh and for the person who started this post.

I just use 1 c water, 1/2 c oatmeal, and throw in about 21 blueberries. It taste good to me. Also have thrown in some strawberries. I tried using strawberry Grow! but it just didn’t go over well. I’ll stick to drinking my delicious Grow!

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Relentless wrote:
For me, it’s 60g oatmeal plus around 40g fruits + 1 scoop chocolat protein powder… Berardi adds an omelet if I remember well…

I got to experience this oatmeal/omelette combo first hand yesterday… all I can say is that it was AMAZING!

Oh, I can also say that I think he was trying to drug me… because I slept for a total of 14.5 hours when I got home!

Sketchy…[/quote]

[quote]provy07 wrote:
I just use 1 c water, 1/2 c oatmeal, and throw in about 21 blueberries.
[/quote]

Do you count each blueberry?

Do you ask stupid questions?

[quote]Oogie wrote:
provy07 wrote:
I just use 1 c water, 1/2 c oatmeal, and throw in about 21 blueberries.

Do you count each blueberry?

[/quote]

So eating half a kilogram (500g) of raw oatmeal (I guess raw…it’s some kind of flakes, I wrote in another thread) is a good ADDITION to my diet? Adding some more water, too…
Strenght, Vlad

[quote]Black Thorn wrote:
So eating half a kilogram (500g) of raw oatmeal (I guess raw…it’s some kind of flakes, I wrote in another thread) is a good ADDITION to my diet? Adding some more water, too…
Strenght, Vlad[/quote]

Shit! If you have half a kilo of raw oats and wash 'em down with 16oz of water…you might explode!

I hope you’ll be eating those 500g throughout the day :slight_smile:

I put raw oats in my blender for my fruit + protein shakes. It’s less hassle than cooking them and they thicken up the shake if you’re using water instead of milk.

Forgive the ignorance…

Can you use Quaker Oats or is the ‘oatmeal’ referencing something else (brand, style,…)?

Thanks