Raw Squat 585x2

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
TunaMonkey wrote:

My training partner builds equipment and a harness for front squats is on his list.

We have one of these at the gym. I would not recommend it as a template if you plan on making one. Lots have tried it. None have liked it. If you look at the bottom of the device, it’s like having a pair of scissors pressed against your junk (the guy has no weight on the bar, so he can hold it up).[/quote]

Uh, wtf is that? How does that help you front squat?

[quote]gmitchell wrote:

BTW, one way to tell if your quads are week is if a lifter squeezes thier knees together during the squat. I did not see you do that in the video.

[/quote]

I woulda said it’s indicative of weak glutes and hamstrings. Because those muscles aren’t strong enough to complete the lift, the knees drift in so the leg is in it’s most advantageous position with the quads doing most of the work.

[quote]ignignokt wrote:

Hey Johnny, are you saying you don’t recommend front squat harnesses in general or the one you posted in the picture?

Can you recommend a front squat harness?

(sorry – I hope this isn’t a thread hijack)

[/quote]

Just the one posted in the picture. I have no recommendations for front squat devices, since I do them with fingers under the bar.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
gmitchell wrote:

BTW, one way to tell if your quads are week is if a lifter squeezes thier knees together during the squat. I did not see you do that in the video.

I woulda said it’s indicative of weak glutes and hamstrings. Because those muscles aren’t strong enough to complete the lift, the knees drift in so the leg is in it’s most advantageous position with the quads doing most of the work.[/quote]

i agree… the knees drift in to allow the quads to take over. forcing the knees out during a squat takes time to master. one must first develop power in the glutes, hips and hams to maintain the position .

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
Hanley wrote:
gmitchell wrote:

I woulda said it’s indicative of weak glutes and hamstrings. Because those muscles aren’t strong enough to complete the lift, the knees drift in so the leg is in it’s most advantageous position with the quads doing most of the work.

i agree… the knees drift in to allow the quads to take over. forcing the knees out during a squat takes time to master. one must first develop power in the glutes, hips and hams to maintain the position .

[/quote]

forcing my knee’s out always came really natural to me, I did it before I read about it actually.

I thought everyone knew about this but apparently they didnt.

This guy at my gym could never hit depth because he would fold over and bend his knee’s way to much. I showed him how to push his knee’s out and squat between his legs rather than fold over and he was way stronger out of the hole and could hit depth easily.

Awesome squatting, Thad!