T Nation

RAW powerlifting world records

Been looking at the differences between the unequipped and equipped powerlifting records and there is a big difference in terms of the poundages but also more interestingly the biggest lifts in RAW PL were with the exception of one lifter all deadlifts not squats.

I guessing this is because the use of suits and knee wraps is the reason for the increase in squats more than deadlifts. Anyone got another view on this?

I don’t have any equipment and my deadlift 200kg (440lb) is bigger than my squat 165kg (363lb) so I’m assuming that this is quite normal and won’t change that much even as I get stronger.

mmm im different, i also lift RAW and my best squat (wide stance to parallel) is 450. Best DL is same as yours aobut 440-450 havent tested in a while but 405 is pretty easy for me. Maybe im a shorter guy 5"8’ so im better at squattin…?

Yeah I think in my case I am just weak in my hamstrings to be honest and tend to shift the deads up with my back.

Suits can’t help you as much in the deadlift as they can in the squat and the bench.

Raw lifting is far superior then to using assistance. Using bench shirts and squat suits is equivalent to a high jumper wearing moon shoes.

to my mind it is more like using a car in the boston marathon… but then again, if the guy next to you is using a car, why wouldn’t you?

Lets not turn this thread into a no gear is better than gear debate. That almost started a riot last time!

yeah my deadlift is about 100lbs more than my squat but i’m tall and long limbed. i was under the impression that if you deadlift sumo (which i don’t) the squat suit would benefit you more during this lift…?

It appears to me that you guys have never moved heavy weights.

It’s not like wearing moon shoes it’s like wearing [like they already do] the best shoe available.

Pole vaulters over the years have used longer more advanced polls so why not in PL?

JA

Raw lifting is far superior then to using assistance. Using bench shirts and squat suits is equivalent to a high jumper wearing moon shoes.

COME ON…this is a great forum becuase people respect all lifters…please dont come around here running your mouth like that…UNTIL YOU HAVE THE BALL’S TO STRAP ON A SQUAT SUIT AND A BENCH SHIRT AND OUTLIFT THEM…RESPECT WHAT THEY DO…BM

on the subject…i think its individual, even if i squated raw i would still squat about as much if not more than i deadlift…i also have wide genetic hips and a nice sized mid-section so i am genetically built to squat…squat suits also help, but i would hate to squat with out one…bm

Its like running in a 100m race with no shoes and the guy next to you has spikes. Play by the rules or suffer the consequences.
Its a stupid debate anyway. PL is about only one person. YOU. Who cares what others can do with or with out a suit.

‘Who cares what others can do with or with out a suit.’

C’mon man thats a bit of a wild statement! If nobody was interested in what others can lift than no one would watch powerlifting!!?!? or strongman or weightlifting!!?!?