T Nation

Raw Power

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
My last post of the old log:

Thanks fellas, for stopping in. I appreciate it.

3’s day, deads. TM 430.

45 x 10, 135 x10, 225 x5, 315 x3, 345 x3, 385 x1, 455 x1 (PR +10 lbs.), 485 x 0, 0.

Prowler: +90 lbs., 6 x40 yds., low/high handles.

Notes: I went off the reservation a little today. Soldog got me pumped up. 455 flew up. 485, not so much. I broke it off the ground but my grip was funky and I set it down. I tried again, and pulled it to a upper shins, but no go. That sum bitch was shockingly heavy compared to 455. I still have a ways to go before I crack 500. I also added 2 more passes to the prowler. My goal is to get to 10 passes and then maybe add some weight. 6 passes was more than enough for today, however. The low handles passes are a real killer.[/quote]

Fine work on your lifs!

It is quite amazing how adding pounds to a weight once you go over 400, seems like so much more.

I was doing 405 rack pulls and was showing off to my son (before my back thing) and they went up so well, I “knew” I could do 500. But I incremented anyway, tossed on 50 more…455 felt like it was glued to the rack. haha Humbling to say the least!

Did you hit him with your purse when you were rescued? ha.

I’ve had that happen to me. I was setting up for a working set at 105, was focused, had my ipod up loud and out of no where, some jojo swoops in and grabs the bar from me. I hadn’t even started yet. I was locked out at the top and hadn’t lowered for my first rep. He said he thought it looked too heavy for me. He got a very loud, stern talking to about safety in the gym. Then I hit him with my purse.

Thanks for stopping in, Ladies and Gents. Regarding my savior, my initial reaction was rage, but I did not say anything. I figure the time may come when I really need the help and I didn’t want to scare everyone in the gym with the tirade that was about to erupt if I did say anything.

Snap, why would anyone want to talk about what they are not going to eat? That sounds depressing (especially when on a cut).

Also, thanks, Ms. O, I think you gave me an idea for a proper name for this thread.

And a damned fine name it is.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
Thanks for stopping in, Ladies and Gents. Regarding my savior, my initial reaction was rage, but I did not say anything. I figure the time may come when I really need the help and I didn’t want to scare everyone in the gym with the tirade that was about to erupt if I did say anything.

Snap, why would anyone want to talk about what they are not going to eat? That sounds depressing (especially when on a cut).

Also, thanks, Ms. O, I think you gave me an idea for a proper name for this thread. [/quote]

Glad to help :slight_smile:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

Snap, why would anyone want to talk about what they are not going to eat? That sounds depressing (especially when on a cut). [/quote]

Oh, that is totally standard talk for chicks who are cutting or maintaining. No-ice-cream-for-me sort of posts. I write them myself sometimes. Snap hates on 'em.

Kimba, as much as I hate to admit it, I have cut out ice cream and a few other things. I just like to focus on what I can eat, rather than what I can’t. :slight_smile:

3’s Day, Squats, TM 395.

Squats: 45 x10, 135 x 10, 225 x5, 275 x3, 315 x3, 355 x10 (Rep PR?)

Front Squats: 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 2, 325 x 1 (PR + 10 lbs.)

GMs: A bunch with the bar to stretch out.

Notes: It was a pretty good squat day. I am guessing that 355 x 10 is a rep PR, but I am too lazy to check. Also, the reps felt nice and controled and pretty deep. Front squats felt good as well. The only downside was that the prowler at the gym was gone. Apparently, it was owned by an employee they fired. I may push my prowler on the road a little later, but I am beat and hungry, so we’ll see. My body weight was back down in the 230s today, so I got that going for me.

nice work on the squatting there. good luck with the dieting.

Very nice squats, Jack. And congrats on the PR. Looks like they are wanting to start moving again.


Thanks Gents. I am feeling like I am making a little progress after bit of a stall.

On another note, I found out little boys love grandpas, tractors, and clearing blackberries:


He asked me later why Grandpa only let him “pull one handle” and not drive. He actually worked the bucket pretty well.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
He asked me later why Grandpa only let him “pull one handle” and not drive. He actually worked the bucket pretty well. [/quote]

A future Heavy Equipment Operator.

Those are great pictures. I don’t know how anyone wouldn’t love grampas, tractors and clearing black berries. The picture makes me want to ride around with them.

Nice Squatting pr. Id love to get there, hopefully soon.

Thanks everyone, for stopping in.

3’s day, Press, TM 165.

45 x20, 95 x5, 115 x3, 135 x 3, 150 x11.

NG Chins: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5.

WG Pullups: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2.

Dips: BW x10, +30 x10, +60 x5.

DB OHP: 50s x10, 80s (cleaned into position/no press), 70s x 5, 4.

Rolling Tris: 40s x 10, 10, 10.

Cable Curls: 60 x 15, 70 x10, 80 x10.

Notes: Decent day in the gym. My elbows felt like they were going to explode on Rolling Tris, even with the low weight. I am going to keep these in the rotation and hopefully work through the elbow pain. My tris are week and these felt awesome for the tris. Thanks for the tip, Pete!

if your elbows hurt you are probably doing them too much like a dumbell tri extension. Just guessing.

[quote]PeteS wrote:
if your elbows hurt you are probably doing them too much like a dumbell tri extension. Just guessing. [/quote]

You might be right. It felt pretty awkward. It may take me a few times to get the feel for the movement.

Why “fear and inertia” rather than “fear OF inertia?” Am I missing something? Apparently so.

Nice rep PR on the squats. I always think of PRs only in the sense of weight lifted rather than reps. I need to change my thinking there.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Why “fear and inertia” rather than “fear OF inertia?” Am I missing something? Apparently so.

Nice rep PR on the squats. I always think of PRs only in the sense of weight lifted rather than reps. I need to change my thinking there.[/quote]

Ms. O stated in another thread that fear and inertia are what drive most people. I think she has a point, and I just thought it was catchy–kinda Hunter S. Thompson like.

Also, I agree that the only PRs that really count are weight PRs, but rep PRs are nice and give you something to shoot for during regular workouts.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

Ms. O stated in another thread that fear and inertia are what drive most people. I think she has a point, and I just thought it was catchy–kinda Hunter S. Thompson like.

Also, I agree that the only PRs that really count are weight PRs, but rep PRs are nice and give you something to shoot for during regular workouts. [/quote]

Fear and Loathing in the Squat Rack
When the going gets weird, the weird Squat